Tilematch V0.4

miq01

Website
Visit site
Download new version HERE.

What's new:
-Music and sound effects (!!!) [thanks to Theoddbot, Woogal and Puck2099]
-Synchronous file writing (to prevent hi-scores from not being saved).
- Added "LOADING..." screen.
- Small visual improvements.
- During game, the second time the action button is pressed on the same tile, deactivates that tile.
- Cursor highlights after selecting a tile.
- Cursor positioned at (3,3) after starting game.

miq01 posted on Dec 15 2005 at 10:06 AM said:
Download new version HERE.

What's new:
-Music and sound effects (!!!) [thanks to Theoddbot, Woogal and Puck2099]
-Synchronous file writing (to prevent hi-scores from not being saved).
- Added "LOADING..." screen.
- Small visual improvements.
- During game, the second time the action button is pressed on the same tile, deactivates that tile.
- Cursor highlights after selecting a tile.
- Cursor positioned at (3,3) after starting game.

I am looking forward to check out your new version. Thanks for your work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woohoo thanks! It`s the homebrew game I play the most at the moment ^^ And sound makes it even more enjoyable :)

This is a very very cool puzzle game in every sense of what a puzzle game ought to be in order to be cool :).

Quick ideas for other game-modes:

- Byo-yumi a la go, by which I mean you'd be given 10 seconds to find one match, then another 10 seconds for the next, or whatever (10 secs might be a tadge long; I don't know).
- Turn-based: Instead of a timer, you're given a certain number of turns to use in order to put away a certain number of creatures.
- Sudden death: Any mistakes instantly lose you the game (doubt I'd enjoy it, but hey, maybe for crazy people)
- Animated animals: Possibly a tiddle on the hard side to program, but the idea would be that the animals, being animals, sometimes move around themselves (although not into groups as you're trying to arrange them into).

Dunno how fun any of those would be, but if you like them, they're more things to try and put in :)

shrubberyrobbery posted on Dec 15 2005 at 02:11 PM said:
hey at i love this game! :)
:)
Quiest posted on Dec 15 2005 at 01:24 PM said:
Woohoo thanks! It`s the homebrew game I play the most at the moment ^^ And sound makes it even more enjoyable :)
:D
Tobriand posted on Dec 15 2005 at 02:53 PM said:
This is a very very cool puzzle game in every sense of what a puzzle game ought to be in order to be cool :).
:lol:

Thank you all!

Tobriand posted on Dec 15 2005 at 02:53 PM said:
Quick ideas for other game-modes:

- Byo-yumi a la go, by which I mean you'd be given 10 seconds to find one match, then another 10 seconds for the next, or whatever (10 secs might be a tadge long; I don't know).
- Turn-based: Instead of a timer, you're given a certain number of turns to use in order to put away a certain number of creatures.
- Sudden death: Any mistakes instantly lose you the game (doubt I'd enjoy it, but hey, maybe for crazy people)
- Animated animals: Possibly a tiddle on the hard side to program, but the idea would be that the animals, being animals, sometimes move around themselves (although not into groups as you're trying to arrange them into).
Great ideas, Tobriand! I'll have to change lots of code but it's probably worth it. Maybe the hardest one to implement the way code is now is "Animated animals", but sounds really funny...

miq01 posted on Dec 15 2005 at 02:08 PM said:
Great ideas at Tobriand! I'll have to change lots of code but it's probably worth it. Maybe the hardest one to implement the way code is now is "Animated animals", but sounds really funny...

i love the moving animals idea too. wandering off just when you're about to use them: "come back here you pesky elephant!" :lol:

ooh ooh, me, me, me! let me give some ideas too!

how about some new pics that appear on harder levels:
- a 'wildcard' type that matches any animal type. (ok, i know, that makes it easier not harder)
- the opposite of a 'wildcard', ie an oddball loner animal (maybe a 'black-sheep') that has no-one to match with, so just gets in the way.
- a 'sticky' tile that cannot be moved, ie. swapped places with. maybe a 'stubborn mule' would be a relevant animal for this one!

ok, LOL, you don't have to use any of this. I'm just letting my imagination run riot :D

Vin

edit: there's more: you could have a 'panic' play mode, where basically you play indefinitely till the timer runs out, you get a couple of seconds time bonus when you make a match, and lose a couple of seconds if you attempt to move and it isn't a match. so you just see how long you can survive.

Cool. This is my favourite non-emulated game on the GP2x so far and I'm looking forward to trying it with sound.

Have you thought about releasing the source so people can have a go at adding game modes to it? There's a lot of good ideas in this thread and I wouldn't mind having a pop at implimenting some of them.

shrubberyrobbery posted on Dec 15 2005 at 02:34 PM said:
i love the moving animals idea too. wandering off just when you're about to use them: "come back here you pesky elephant!" :lol:

I think that would probably drive me nuts, it's hard enough as it is at higher levels without your tiles wandering all over the place!

Still, might be fun from time to time... we could call it "Masochist Mode" :ph34r:

shrubberyrobbery posted on Dec 15 2005 at 03:34 PM said:
how about some new pics that appear on harder levels:
- a 'wildcard' type that matches any animal type. (ok, i know, that makes it easier not harder)
- the opposite of a 'wildcard', ie an oddball loner animal (maybe a 'black-sheep') that has no-one to match with, so just gets in the way.
- a 'sticky' tile that cannot be moved, ie. swapped places with. maybe a 'stubborn mule' would be a relevant animal for this one!
Nice ideas... In fact, the first one was thought to be there, but it's not implemented yet.

shrubberyrobbery posted on Dec 15 2005 at 03:34 PM said:
edit: there's more: you could have a 'panic' play mode, where basically you play indefinitely till the timer runs out, you get a couple of seconds time bonus when you make a match, and lose a couple of seconds if you attempt to move and it isn't a match. so you just see how long you can survive.
It's "Time Trial", isn't it? Yo can play that mode, but you don't lose time if you do a "wrong" movement. You have 100 seconds to line up tiles.

FluffyPanda posted on Dec 15 2005 at 05:33 PM said:
Have you thought about releasing the source so people can have a go at adding game modes to it? There's a lot of good ideas in this thread and I wouldn't mind having a pop at implimenting some of them.
I will release the source code, but I'd prefer to wait until it is finished, or at least well structured (it's a bit messy now). Besides, comments and variable names are in catalan language, so unless you know catalan it's going to be a little hard to understand some things ("peça"="tile", "tauler"="board", ...). Anyway, if you're really interested, I can send you the source.

It's great! Thank you very very muuuuch! :D It's great to see a good game to become a great game. With this rate, TileMatch will be an awesome game that can represent GP2x soon. Keep up the good work, mig01.

I love this way of making game with the users thanks to mig01's open mind on user inputs. This is truely a great way to make game.

Yes this game is truly AWESOME! Even better with the sound & music! I've been putting off showing it to my wife in fear of not getting my GP2X back. ;) As it stands, it's the most played game on my sd card.

One minor thing that would really be nice is maybe have a combination of buttons to reset the high score table. I've not been able to keep a high score for more then a few sessions because I ALWAYS hit R by accident. Other then that fantastic work!!

CoinOp

i know I'm getting totally carried away here, but how about having the appropriate animal noise sound each time a line-of-3 is made? :blink:

CoinOp posted on Dec 15 2005 at 06:43 PM said:
One minor thing that would really be nice is maybe have a combination of buttons to reset the high score table. I've not been able to keep a high score for more then a few essions because I ALWAYS hit R by accident.
I'll do it sometime. At least, it should ask you if you really want to reset the table.

shrubberyrobbery posted on Dec 15 2005 at 08:50 PM said:
i know I'm getting totally carried away here, but how about having the appropriate animal noise sound each time a line-of-3 is made? :blink:
Just... no. :) I wanted the game to look and sound a little like old 8-bit games, and there were no real sounds from elephants, pandas and such in 8-bit games! :D Maybe I'll do some distinct bleep sounds for each kind of tile but certainly not lions roaring.

Great release.

Here's another feature request for you :):

In the "Enter Initial" screen, please make holding the stick in a direction scroll through all the letters, instead of having to nudge the stick each time.

RiX0R posted on Dec 15 2005 at 02:01 PM said:
Great release.

Here's another feature request for you :):

In the "Enter Initial" screen, please make holding the stick in a direction scroll through all the letters, instead of having to nudge the stick each time.

Doing that, there is an unwritten convention that I'd like to share with you. When user press up/down, letter scroll once and then the user should hold the joystick in the same direction for 1/2 sec to make the letters start to scroll continuously. This way, you don't have to worry about over scrolling all the time. :) Even GP2x Menu has the feature.

miq01 posted on Dec 15 2005 at 04:55 PM said:
FluffyPanda posted on Dec 15 2005 at 05:33 PM said:
I will release the source code, but I'd prefer to wait until it is finished, or at least well structured (it's a bit messy now). Besides, comments and variable names are in catalan language, so unless you know catalan it's going to be a little hard to understand some things ("peça"="tile", "tauler"="board", ...). Anyway, if you're really interested, I can send you the source.

That's ok, I'll wait until you're happy enough with it to release it to the world at large. I don't have a lot of free time at the moment anyway. Don't be too much of a perfectionist though, if there's some slightly bad code and catalan variable names it won't hurt, we'll manage to make sense of it I'm sure.

I'll look forward to being able to download it soon :)

This is by far my most played homebrew game, everyone in my house loves it. We're already having highscore competitions, I'm currently at #1 with 50440 :)

One minor thing I'd like to see added is a period in the high score table, I have to add a random character now after my initials.

Back