Time for speculations: First dummy board video

thatgui

Advanced Member
Ed posted this

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DaGORZQB4kE?feature=oembed
in the "old nub new nub thread"

but I think this deserves a little bit mote attention (and maybe forum rage :p ):

The first public pictures of a (already 2 months old and probably not fully working) dummy board to test some things.

Lets confirm:

• 4 Shoulder buttons (horizontally alligned ?)
  • "only" 4 action buttons
  • Number keys probably moved down to the other keys
  • 46 (below) + 6 (above) instead of 43 keys
  • ext port ? (plug with the white tape over it)
  • USB OTG port
  • exciting times ahead
Edit: list expandedEdit: removed the word "prototype" as per Eds explaination

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip! I haven't been reading that thread so I would have missed this otherwise

That's far from being a prototype board. It's a dummy with only the nubs and some other parts attached :)

But it IS a dummy PCB of the potential P2, yeah? Like, that is the placement of keys you want to go with, including 4 action buttons on the right and 4 horizonal shoulder buttons? And the microphone stays?

edit: understanding that prototyping may change things, of course.

That would make more sense, yes. Wouldn't expect the P2 to be that far along without ED spilling at least a few beans :D

Also the iCP2 had a different keyboard layout - at least if they didn't change it.

So what's the reasoning behind this keyboard layout? Number keys closer to the letter keys - makes sense. A few extra keys in the bottom part - makes sense (allows dedicated tab key for instance). What would the purpose of the 6 top keys be? It's not enough to make dedicated F<x>-keys (unless you number them F1-F6 with F7-F12 as Fn keys). Maybe dedicated "media" keys or something like that?

The top keys are planned to be stuff like Wifi on/off, Power, etc.

Everything that doesn't need to be pushed regularly.

Sounds good - but do we really need dedicated keys for that? Maybe it suffices to have Fn+something shortcuts for such things.

What about giving each of those 6 keys a distinct color (e.g. red yellow green blue purple black) and/or symbol (e.g. square triangle plus min cross circle) and use them as general extra keys that can be programmed to do whatever you want? You can of course always change the behavior of keys, but it's a bit awkward if you have to use a key labeled with, say, "toggle bluetooth", to do something completely unrelated like, say, "launch new terminal window". With generic symbols and/or colors, you don't get that problem. Also it might give a nice recognizable look to the keyboard.

Please make sure thet the Nub Company doesn't get bancrupt before you have your new nubs this time. ;)

The nubs are looking promising. Seems like the acceleration feels alot better than the old ones (that had imho a weird feeling/feedback sometimes) They felt like they started fast and ended slow but it should be quiet the opposite imho.

Also, can we keep the way the nubs spin in circles endlessly? I prefer how fluid it is moving the nub without them being fixed in place. :p

Also, can we keep the way the nubs spin in circles endlessly? I prefer how fluid it is moving the nub without them being fixed in place. :p
I like it also as it's now.

But I think it'll be without the spinning AFAIK.

Back