To All New Owners

fluffmarten

Still Fresh
Had my Gp2x around about a week now, and after a rough-ish start it's getting good. On the first day, right out of the pack i ind my GP2x, and carry case, along with invoices for a person who certainly isn't me (could prove problematic if i have to return it! hopefully that won't happen) Thought it would come with an AC adaptor, but apparently not.

So i put in my rechrgeable batteries and found multicoloured vertical lines and nothing else. Later discovered my rechargeables were knackered so went and got some 2000 mAh energizers. So, alls now working, put my 2Gb card and started transferring files over via the Gp2x itself with no problems.

Mp3 playback seemed ok with only minor distortions and the occasional channel swapping. Video playback was a bit stodgy encoded in DivX6, so got SUPER and vids are fine with very small audio-vid desync.

OK decided to get ambiious and put a skin on, used the 1 for a previous firmware and have pissed up the default skin, but use "sike abstract" which is very good. next day ut on my EMus UAE4all and DRMD, sheer fantastic. Amiga one needs work, but drmd played 99% of games, with only sound being a bit odd.

went to MAME, which was very poor, the only 100% working game i have is 1984 return of the Jedi, Street fighter 2 gets to the player select screen and resets. i'll poke around with that next week.

put on open BOR which is OK except frame rate sorta stopped every so often, so thinking this was CPU i put the tweaker on, set it a bit too high and crashed the unit a few times. poked around with the Daemon option and now the tweaker wont boot at all, fixed it, but i'll leave the tweaking to specific programs.

All in all despite the rough start i am very pleased, the only guffs it has is the poor battery life, the occasional crash and the SD Usb transfers playing up.

I absolutely love the screen, it doesn't ghost dark colours like the psp, and i think the volume when the headphones are in is great, i can hear it in the car, has blow a pair of headphones though plugging it as as it was on full volume.

But to all those new owners thinking they've bought a big pile off naff, give it a week and you'll be well chuffed

Awesome to hear! just one suggestion- please (pretty please) space your post so others will read; atm it's a bit difficult to get through :)

went and got some 2000 mAh energizers.

--> noobs are always afraid when they see their GP2X draw strange pixel-art :) 2000mah are pretty low batteries if you want to play long tims

So, alls now working, put my 2Gb card and started transferring files over via the Gp2x itself with no problems

--> everyone will recommand you, not to do this, as the transfers often fails! you will be better off using a card reader

OK decided to get ambiious and put a skin on, used the 1 for a previous firmware and have pissed up the default skin, but use "sike abstract" which is very good.

--> pay attention to use skins compatible with your firmware. Most skins now are made for 2.1/2.1.1 firmware. BTW, sike-abstract is my fatourite skin ;) then comes Liquido!

next day ut on my EMus UAE4all and DRMD, sheer fantastic

--> Actually, Picodrive is better, since DrMD is discontinued by our beloved Reesy. It's the first program (except some demos) to make good use of the second processor, which lets you play most game withe excellent compatibility and accuracy, and 44100kHz sound quality, with both CPU underclocked!

went to MAME, which was very poor, the only 100% working game i have is 1984 return of the Jedi, Street fighter 2 gets to the player select screen and resets. i'll poke around with that next week.

--> MAME for GP2X if actually very good. Either you have the bad romset (you can find gp2x mame romset but i don't thnk I can tell you were on this forum :ph34r: ) or you are doing something wrong, because it supports more than 1100 games! it even allows you to turn your screen by 90° to play vertical shooters! If you're trying to play NeoGeo games, better use GnGeo!

so thinking this was CPU i put the tweaker on, set it a bit too high and crashed the unit a few times. poked around with the Daemon option and now the tweaker wont boot at all, fixed it, but i'll leave the tweaking to specific programs.

--> gMenu2x is actually the easiest way of setting speed for applications that don't support it (and even volume, with latest versions!)

the only guffs it has is the poor battery life, the occasional crash and the SD Usb transfers playing up.

--> already told you about that :)

i absolutely love the screen, it doesn't ghost dark colours like the psp,

--> agreed, but it's smaller :(

and i think the volume when the headphones are in is great, i can hear it in the car, has blow a pair of headphones though plugginf it as as it was on full volume. But to all those new owners thinking they've bought a big pile off naff, give it a week and you'll be well chuffed

--> GP2X lacks a physical volume setting, like on the DS :( each app has its volume control and that's very annoying if you wan't to use earphones, or simply play it quiet...
If you want to use earphones, be sure to activate the volume limiter in settings, and if you wan't to be sure your GP2X won't make any soud, plug something in the earphone plug ;)

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reiboul has some excellent advice. A couple bear repeating:

* Go for 2500mAh Energizers, they will add over an hour to your playtime.
* Grab the MAME 0.34 romset, nearly everything thing in it works great (play around with the overclock and Video/Sound clock settings for more demanding games).
* Gmenu2x is the best thing ever.

Reiboul for guru!

And mame poor, I will pm you...

Actually, this should be the follow up to Goity's Just got my GP2x thread...

Im also having problems getting anything to run correctly on mame. Some annonymous "help" with getting a good romset via PM would really be appreceated. Not hinting anything ovcourse *innocent face*

Awesome to hear! just one suggestion- please (pretty please) space your post so others will read; atm it's a bit difficult to get through :)

I will bear that in mind, wasn't really intending on writing so much

Reiboul has some excellent advice. A couple bear repeating:

* Go for 2500mAh Energizers, they will add over an hour to your playtime.
* Grab the MAME 0.34 romset, nearly everything thing in it works great (play around with the overclock and Video/Sound clock settings for more demanding games).
* Gmenu2x is the best thing ever.

will definately get some more batteries, the 2000s were the best i could find without trekking to the city. I will give Gmenu2x a go at some point

Thanks a lot for everyones advice, this machine will be the best when i iron out all the creases

Last edited by a moderator:
@ fluffmarten,

Did a quick tidy up of your original post to make it easier to read, Hope you don`t mind.

Glad you are happy with your GP2x and having fun with your new purchase.

Welcome to the community. :)

Trooper

Back