Too much hyperbole is giving me the fear.

Screen resolution

• 1080p is a must. Regardless of ghosting/power usage.

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • 720p is fine. If it decreases ghosting/power usage.

Votes: 41 61.2%
  • 480p is fine. (HDMI for 1080p HD)

Votes: 16 23.9%

• Total voters

ShleeDragon

Pro-Catflip
[T]here are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that, we now know we don't know.

But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know.”

United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

Everybody is currently running off a mix of random comments from Craig and their own expectations.. there doesn't seem to be anything solid. This is very much conjecture until the OP team announce anything.

Id like to focus on the fact we don't know anything about the Pandora 2.. but there are lots of opinions and id like to get some kind of collected views on some of the issues. Craig/ED/Weston would do well to speak with the community and offer the 'spam' some solid answers/reasoning.

My opinion.. chasing numbers/specs and performance isn't going to help anybody..

Price People are arguing about the high price, but at this point it isn't set in stone. If the heardware/functionality and community is here. I'll pay what it's worth... but I don't think it's worth trying to sell 1000 uber tech, high power expensive machines vs 10,000 slightly less powerful, slightly cheaper machines - If the community isn't going to support it.. This is obviously a business decision

Size I really like the size of the pandora. There is discussion of making it much much smaller.. I won't complain if it is.. but the size doesn't bother me (don't make it too small)

Screen The size: bigger the better. move the speakers and fill up the lid :D - We do not need 1080p if it'll increase the refresh/ghosting and eat power.. Using 720p and Including HDMI on the unit will allow us to connect the pandora to our TV if we need for full HD.

Touchscreen Resistive vs capactive.. I'm not really sure.. Using capactive on a desktop vs resistive in a game.. What makes you more angry :angry:

External storage Id rather have full SD over microSD (or mini) due to the lower speed/size and higher failure rates in the smaller storage media.

Internal storage People are discussing using microSD as a replacement of OS NAND? I'm going to leave this up to Weston.

SOC Id rather focus on having a SOC with better software support than something with pure speed. Running older tech without the hacks/limitations similar to the softfp and outdated drivers would be a bonus. Running a Cortex-A15 at 2GHz is going to eat power.. do we need it?

OS I want the base standard OS to be a full low level desktop. Have a boot android as the secondary option on a grubish menu.. because I'll use the android OS, but it shouldn't be the main primary OS shiped/booted by the majority.

RAM 8GB? No point.... 4GB is really overkill. Apart from that. there are lots of awesome speed improvements we could make by mounting tmpfs and even parts of the PND in RAM.

Nubs I'm going to assume you'll use the same nubs and keep trying to improve them?

L1/L2/R1/R2 I think this is important.

Additional hardware

Wifi: the wifi sucked, I'm using a usb adapter and it works perfect.

accelerometer: maybe? the pandora needs more waddle... because android devices almost expect one too

mic: I never used it, but some games could take advantage of it. DS emulation and SIP calls. I say keep it, but if you need to remove it use a mic in plug instead?

bluetooth: everything has bluetooth these days.. but I never use it :)

USB: I think most SOCs would have USB3 by the time they start selecting. fixes the 1.1 crash.

Last edited by a moderator:
ill wait for ED to announce what he wants to do before i shell out cash for craigs ideas

I would like them to evaluate lots of different screens - including the new 1080p ones and give them a fair shake. If quality, power use and availability fall tot the 720p side, that's fine.

We all know that I'm a proponent of staying full sized SD.

A third question you could add to your poll - can we ditch the full sized USB port and mini USB and put in two microUSB 3.0 connectors? They have OTG, charge, high DTR, etc...

This is weighted in favour of a lower res LCD, there won't be any more ghosting on a 1080 LCD than a 720, actually I'd expect the 1080 to be the absolute highest quality and latest technology, not a single review of a 1080 LCD mentions any ghosting at all.

This is weighted in favour of a lower res LCD, there won't be any more ghosting on a 1080 LCD than a 720, actually I'd expect the 1080 to be the absolute highest quality and latest technology, not a single review of a 1080 LCD mentions any ghosting at all.

To be honest, most of the "fear" is about battery usage and/or cost..... if prices are right and the power usage isn't "bad" go hog wild.

most people don't want to limit anything, they just don't want "bling" getting in the way of functionality ;)

sry to say that but your survay isn't neutral. I think you subconsciously reflect your own beliefs too much. Like CraigiX I've never come across any report or review that mentiones ghosting problemes. "1080p is a must. Regardless of ghosting/power usage" it practically says there are problemes. So I don't feel like voting for it even if I favour 1080p. However "720p is fine. If it decreases ghosting/power usage" gives the impression that this is the best in terms of quality and efficiency.

My statement - what the hell is this fuss about display specs when its mostly speculation? At the moment you can only talk about resolution because thats a known fact. You don't know about ghosting, consumption or prices, until they are available and comparable.

SD card yeY, micro SD ney xD

My new laptop is 1080p and suffer because of this. A higher resolution makes a device slower when rendering grapics. If you want a high FPS then you want a low resolution. 1080p also seems unnecessary on a small screen.

There is bias in it.. but I see it as a sliding scale.

1) default to 1080p

if 1080p has problems. 1080p.

2)

default to 1080p.

if 1080p has problems. 720p.

That's my view anyway. If 1080p is good, go hog wild.

I think just flat out choices with objective qualifications in the post would have been best.

Screen Resolution

*1080p (1920x1080)

*720p (1280x720)

*480p (853x480)

"Remember that lower res screens cost less in power but higher res of course can display more."

This way you separate characterization from choice. Popular vote is quite sensitive to subtle wording differences such as "is a must" versus "is fine". Is there any way to reboot the poll?

The fact is we're 18 months away from a prototype. or at least a solid idea

Oh really? Craig said he wanted something out by the end of 2013, does that sound like 18 months away from a prototype (or even a solid idea?!) to you? Now you're the one making things up...

Obviously they've already been heavily planning Pandora 2..

This is a very loaded/biased poll .

Loaded heavily toward the lower res options. As such, the outcome of this poll is meaningless.

Really, Hopelessly weighted.

I can see that using the P2 as a prototyping platfom for chip makers, makes 1080HD a good idea, although from a normal user's perspective 720HD would be good enough.

Again, there should be reasons/explanations around the SD card options.

People round here obviously favour fullSD, but probably by less than shown of the poll, and they may not have accounted for size requirements.

Price As long as it's not £800...

Size Around the same size as P1

Screen 720p is more than enough for me.

Touchscreen

External storage I would like at least have 1 full SD, I don't really need 2 slots.. at least by the time the P2 comes out.. might even be 512GB/1TB SDXC cards..

Internal storage I have no opinion.

SOC I'd rather focus on having a SOC with better software support than something with pure speed. Running older tech without the hacks/limitations similar to the softfp and outdated drivers would be a bonus. Running a Cortex-A15 at 2GHz is going to eat power.. do we need it?

OS It appears we have to have Android as a default but I would not buy the Pandora 2 unless it also came with full Linux... that's why I bought the Pandora 1 in the first place.

Nubs would like them to press down as buttons for L3/R3

L1/L2/R1/R2 I would also like 2 shoulder buttons

4 Shoulder butons

Full SDXC slot

USB 3.0

5.5" screen

10 hours battery

Bigger than ICP 2. About the size Pandora 1 is.

Size: I would be okay with something a little larger than the P1, but please not thicker! A smaller device is fine, but not if it means compromising on features and comfort.

Screen: 720p is fine if you can get 1080p with HDMI out. I would even be fine with a lower resolution with only 720p via HDMI out. I'm far more interested in saving the battery and pushing the performance up.

Touchscreen: You know what I want? the Note 2's 1024 levels of pressure sensitvity. I want to be able to use the P2 like I use my Cintiq, just ultra-portable. This alone will probably determine wether I get a Note2/3+ICP2 or a Pandora 2.

External storage: At least 1 full sized SD, preferably 2.

Internal storage: MicroSD instead of Nand? Yes please. :) .... Oh, you want to put a full size SD in there? If you can fit it in, then go for it! ^-^

- There needs to be *at least* 1 full size SD slot on the device - either internally with MircroSD being external, or the other way around.

But there should be 2, there really should.

SOC: I'm clueless in this department, but I'm not interested in bragging rights with top specs.... I just wan't something that does the job without complications and is as light as possible on the battery.

OS: Full Linux desktop first, Android ICS or JB second. But in all honesty the P2 should dual-boot both out of the box.

RAM: 2Gb is the absolute minimum. 4Gb is where I think it'll be by the time P2 comes out... but 8Gb? How is all that ram going to be used? If someone can explain to me how 8Gb is worthwhile then fine, but untill then I vote 4Gb.

Nubs: Would it be possible to have clickable nubs? Some PS1 games seem to require that if I'm not mistaken, and it would make mouse emulation easier.

L1/L2/R1/R2: Please... but if it only has L1&R1 I could live with it. But really, the P2 should be making efforts to include the second pair of shoulder buttons.

Additional hardware: If the wifi is going to cause as much grief as it did in the P1, you're better off leaving it out completely. In saying that, for my usage I'm quite happy with the speeds I get with my built in wifi.

Bluetooth is a must. Not even up for negotiation if you ask me. :)

Accelerometer? With Android as one of the main OS'es I think we simply have to include it.

Mic input? Yes! Built in Mic? Yes... but not as important as mic input.

Please do not drop the full size USB port!! ... though it would be nice if we didn't need a hub to use USB 1 devices.

... and we should drop the charging port in favor of Micro USB3.

OS: Full Linux desktop first, Android ICS or JB second. But in all honesty the P2 should dual-boot both out of the box.

I should hope by late 2013, or sometime in 2014, we should expect at least one better than JB. :p

Lol, of course. ^_^

... I guess my wording was wrong. I meant to imply that Gingerbread would be unacceptable, but any Android version from ICS up would be fine by me. Though I suppose if the P2 is going to be competitive it's going to have to have the latest Android... but is the SOC manufacturer really going to deliver when it comes to OS updates?

You need better than ICS for most of the current SOCs.. plus ICS has support for the keyboard/mouse HIDs including joysticks.

Price: No more than the 1GHz unit is now.

Size: Anything around the size of any non-XL DS/3DS

Screen: 720p or 1080p. If the quality doesn't change between the two, and it isn't a big price/power difference I don't care.

Touchscreen: I don't care, I'd like android support (multitouch, use of finger) but accuracy is important I guess.

External storage: 1 full sized SD, 2 MicroSD? Not sure.

Internal storage: Either much larger internal storage OR using 1 of the 2 microSD slots from above as the 'internal' (have it hide in the device itself, rather than the outside?)

SOC: I don't much about this, a fast one with enough graphics power...? As long as using it feels 'snappy'!

OS: Full Linux is most important, Android would be very nice to have as well.

RAM: 2-4GB, would rather it be fast RAM than lots of RAM.

Nubs: Improved Pandora nubs? Idk.

L1/L2/R1/R2: YESYESYES

Additional hardware: Full sized USB 3.0 port, good wifi, accelerometer if it has android support, mic, speakers, headphone jack, hdmi, and COOL FLASHING LIGHTS.

Back