Top Games That Run *well* In Dosbox V0.7

gates007

Still Fresh
Hello all,

First of all, thanks to bOingball, we have dosbox version 0.70 for our GP2X and we can run some pretty good dos games from the (early) 90s'. While running dos games in gp2x post certain challenge (individual configuration, compatibility issues, etc.), it allows us to play some truely unique games from that era... my questions are;

1. which game have you tried in dosbox v0.7 (or prior version) and
2. which game run really well and you would recommend to other to try?

My list is as follows:

1. Sentinel Worlds I Future Magic (worked in v0.65)
2. Wizardry VI: Bane of Cosmic Forge (worked in v0.65)
3. Battletech I: cresent hawk's inception (worked in v.0.70)

Please add to the list!

~Gates

Does anyone know if Digger runs on this? I know there is now a GP2x enhanced port, but I would like to get the original going on GP2x.

Well As far as I know there is already a wiki about compatibility of games. http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/DosBox

I think I'm gonna try out some dos games today. My greatest dream would be that X-com, arguably the best game ever, would be playable on gp2x.

Thanks Lendro - I know there is a wiki exist but it appears to be (horribly?) outdated. With v0.70 out now, I thought it may be appropriate to list all games people have tested and recommend and THEN we can update the wiki!

Anyone have tried good games and have recommendations?

~Gates

Does anyone know how to overclock gp2x prior to run dosbox in order to get better performance?!

Thank you :)

Fargo,

I have tried OC prior to running a game but I only notice neglectible speed difference. I think to speed up a game you will need to increase the cycle count which can be specified in the DOSBOX.CONF file. Also I have noted speed increase from Dosbox-GP2X v0.63 to 0.65 when playing blockout and some speed increase from v0.65 to v0.70 when playing Sentinel Worlds.

~gates

ledro said:
I think I'm gonna try out some dos games today. My greatest dream would be that X-com, arguably the best game ever, would be playable on gp2x.
Well, your dream isn´t so far ahead...You have UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep on PSX ( 2D emulation has proved to be near fullspeed on most games, so expect them to be playable with sound soon ;) )

By the way, my dream would be to play those VGA Sierra adventures on the go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Khan said:
ledro said:
Well, your dream isn´t so far ahead...You have UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep on PSX ( 2D emulation has proved to be near fullspeed on most games, so expect them to be playable with sound soon ;) )

By the way, my dream would be to play those VGA Sierra adventures on the go :)

Yes, I'm following the psx emulation thread with anticipation because of that ;-)

I thought Scumm merged with the sarien project, which means that the sierra-online games will be playable on Scumm. Although I wonder how they are going to support text input.

I was trying out an old favorite of mine Command HQ on dosbox. But I cannot seem to find any way to move the mouse. Is there no mouse emulation in the current version of dosbox?

ledro said:
I was trying out an old favorite of mine Command HQ on dosbox. But I cannot seem to find any way to move the mouse. Is there no mouse emulation in the current version of dosbox?
no i dont think there is any mouse emulation at the moment

re: mouse emulation - I tried running cute mouse within dosbox and it did not work. I was trying to load Rules of Engagement 1 (Omnitrend) - it loaded and worked but with only keyboard support. The game is designed to be played with a mouse so I did not put in the recommended list above.

Anyone tries a game and works AND the game is playable in GP2X? Please post!

~gates

Back