Toys for Christmas (ones you secretly want yourself)

Asmo

Advanced Member
Ok, every so often I see a toy hit the market that I wouldn't mind getting myself, I'm sure we all know the feeling - that thing looks like fun/useful parts/too cool for words.

So to kick off this years wish list, I have only recently been made aware of these:

http://www.hasbro.com/playskool/en_US/showcam

The Playskool Showcam. My head nearly exploded when I saw the TV advert. It's a digital camera - WITH A BUILT-IN PROJECTOR! And I love projectors.

I see it discounted on some sites too - yours for under €50/$50 if you shop around.

Imagine how cheap just the projector part must be.. I wonder if it could be driven from a different device with a little tinkering.. My instinct says no (it doesn't appear to have any video circuitry to hack into per se) but it can only be a matter of time if this model is a success, before they release a camcorder model - and then I suspect the possibilities for using the innards might be more attractive...!

I'd love a CrossPlane :) )))
I think that gonna be a big disappointment. He's asking a bit too much for that simple thing.

It should also be kept in mind that controllers developed by small companies or workshops are rarely any good. Case in point, ouya or the 90 bijillion Cheap chinese psp knock-offs, wiz, caanoo.

I don't see how these nameless guys can do things any differently.

Dude. Do you even know who Hailrazer is? He's a fucking GOD of console modding. I trust him very much to do a great job. But $350 for a controller is too damn much
I don't know who he is before you mentioned that. However, that still does not change anything.

Cutting pcbs, packing them into a small case is one thing, testing silicon keymat, ordering thousands of parts, assembling large quantity of components are not related to the same set of skills.

I know lots of people working in this industry, and it is not as easy as it seems.

You need connections, you need a large order, and most importantly, you need someone experienced. Just because you can design something does not mean you can make it as good as you wanted. You can't just invent some keymat that's ideal, you have to choose from what are offered in the market (for a small production run, that is extremely limited). Most importantly, you have to get it right in the first go, any additional attampts cost money. (of cause, if they are smart, they will take their time working with 3d printers first then figure out a safe and sound solution rather than rushing into production). You may think it is easy, but few has done it properly.

I would put my trust on ED, if he's ever going to sell something like that rather than some geeky dude who's never worked in a big project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, Most of us should've already bought Christmas gifts for this year, if Craigix is any competent, we would have ICP2 delivered to our doorsteps by the end of the year. Right?

I really don't want any toys this year. I've already got most of the stuff I want.

Although GTA V for PC would be nice

If you could program the exosuit with a range of lethal fight moves (for those situations where thieves try to acquire your exosuit), and have it endorsed by Chuck Norris...

Back