Trying to port this...

I'm trying to port this: http://www.wurb.com/if/game/2

But I can't get MAKE onto DJWillis' toolchain. Shouldn't it have that already anyway?
Exactly. You do need the basic binaries installed for your normal system and they will be used there. Tools like the normals stuff from shell, compiler/build setup basics like scons, cmake, make, ... should be installed in your normal system and you just make use of them, using the different compiler and libs that the toolchain provide.

But I can't get MAKE onto DJWillis' toolchain. Shouldn't it have that already anyway?
Exactly. You do need the basic binaries installed for your normal system and they will be used there. Tools like the normals stuff from shell, compiler/build setup basics like scons, cmake, make, ... should be installed in your normal system and you just make use of them, using the different compiler and libs that the toolchain provide.

This is something I've been trying to fool with.. I have all my compiling/build tools installed (make/cmake...etc).. I can compile simple projects manually with g++/gcc for arm using the toolchain fine... but what I'm having issues with is what arguments do I need to pass to ./configure or make to have it point to Djwillis' cross compiler toolchain.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is something I've been trying to fool with.. I have all my compiling/build tools installed (make/cmake...etc).. I can compile simple projects manually with g++/gcc for arm using the toolchain fine... but what I'm having issues with is what arguments do I need to pass to ./configure or make to have it point to Djwillis' cross compiler toolchain.
This^

Meh, all this fuss is why I strongly recommend you use the onboard compiler/development environment instead. Cross-compiling is bollocks when you've got a more-than-capable development system in the Pandora already ..

Or use sebt3's toolchain with the nice scripts to setuop the environment automatically.

I have all my compiling/build tools installed (make/cmake...etc).. I can compile simple projects manually with g++/gcc for arm using the toolchain fine... but what I'm having issues with is what arguments do I need to pass to ./configure or make to have it point to Djwillis' cross compiler toolchain.
Have a look at the cross compiling options in the output of "./configure help". The main one is "--host", which you want to set to the type of machine your program is to be compiled for (e.g. arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi for DKWillis' toolchain, IIRC). The script should be able to figure out a lot about your tool chain from this one option, provided it's in your PATH.

There are also often specific options for telling configure where certain libraries hang out, which you need to point to /usr/local/angstrom/arm/.....whatever. Environment variables like CFLAGS are also useful for passing the right paths to headers and such.

Be aware, however, that even with the correct options some stuff just won't work and you may need to fudge what comes out of ./configure (e.g. Makefiles) to get things to compile. The bigger, better-known packages do better on that front than the more obscure stuff that's likely only been compiled on x86 PCs.

Meh, all this fuss is why I strongly recommend you use the onboard compiler/development environment instead. Cross-compiling is bollocks when you've got a more-than-capable development system in the Pandora already ..

After a couple of weeks of torture trying to crosscompile you'll realise Torpor speaks the truth :D

After a couple of weeks of torture trying to crosscompile you'll realise Torpor speaks the truth :D

Well I like the idea of cross compiling, I got my hopes up since it working fairly well when I ported some of my old C++ class work to the Pandora with the toolchain.

I guess I will need to invest another SD card to throw Angstrom on for development purposes.. How updated is Angstrom's Pandora image from their builder?

I've just had a look at the link you provided.

There seems to be an error on each and every file Stray "\32" so you'd need to edit them out too.

Just noticed are you typing MAKE or make?

BTW, you don't need to boot from SD to use the onboard compiler. A base system install of the developer tools still leaves plenty of room left on the NAND ..

BTW, you don't need to boot from SD to use the onboard compiler. A base system install of the developer tools still leaves plenty of room left on the NAND ..

Not if you need gtk+-dev etc...

Thats weird, I've got it on my NAND, and used it to build Flipclock ..

When i setupo my dev environment with stuckies extends on my pandora, It got pretty full pretty fast, and this is 512mb.

Ah, I think my method is a lot more minimalist than with Stuckies Extend .. I still have 10 megs free on my NAND, and I have everything onboard to build FlipClock, xsynth, Puredata, and so on ..

Just use one of the more recent toolchains for the crosscompiler that were posted in the gp32x board. Those *both* come with ways to run configure thought a kind of wrapper which should work for most programs that actually use normal autotools (ffmpeg/mplayer use a version that is *named* configure but not the autotools configure and differs significantly from "real" configure!). Yes, eventually the resulting toolchains with the features described in the gp32x board will be the "official" toolchain. Here are the links to the two approaches:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58443-crosscompiler-toolchain-based-on-openpandora-org-ipks/

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58490-yactfeau/

Just as a note: The DJWillis toolchain itself is *NOT* the best choice at the moment (though stuff from it is also a basis for the "new" toolchain approaches)! It does not come with all the useful wrappers and tools to more easily handle compilation and pnd creation.

I'd still rather have a separate install on an SD card to give me more room to play around with.

After my first effort (forgetting that standard systems didn't have the libraries I used).

I prefer an SD with dev environment and NAND with standard. Means that those of us with one system can build and check on the same pandora :p

Except installing anything from OPKG bricks my Pandora.

Back