Tutorials for installing emulators

M

Mark

Hello,

Is there a "section" where a noob can find tutorials for installing emulators on the pandora?

Pandora supports many emualtors ... or are they all installed in the same way?

Thx

See sebt3's post above.

It's true that it's easy to get an emulator installed. It's a slightly different matter getting an emulator running though, and I've long since given up working out a general strategy for mame roms even of the games I own.

Most of the time, installing the emulator, running it and observing the instructions given in the first run error message, or failing that, the docs, will tell you what to put where to get it running in terms of BIOSes and ROM dumps etc. It's always nice having something like Yoshi's guide for more offline reading, where you can take your time in reading what you need to do - there's something about error messages that demands they be closed before too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like you need an introduction to the PND system. http://pandorawiki.org/Introduction_to_PNDs

PND files are not installers (well some act like it).. but basically you place PNDs in specific folders on an SD card and it automatically creates links to the executable and they will show up in the menu, desktop or both (if you use minimenu then they show up on specific tabs).

on your SD CARD:
/pandora/desktop    - pnd files show up on the desktop background
/pandora/menu    - show up in the Applications menu or in minimenu(under the categories suggested by the developer)
/pandora/apps     - show up in all places; the desktop, the apps menu and in Minimenu
/pandora/mmenu    - show up only in minimenu, ignored by other GUIs

Also I suggest for any Pandora user is PNDManager, it's a nice easy way of downloading PNDs off the repository.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=pndmanager-bzar

Seems like you need an introduction to the PND system. http://pandorawiki.org/Introduction_to_PNDs

PND files are not installers (well some act like it).. but basically you place PNDs in specific folders on an SD card and it automatically creates links to the executable and they will show up in the menu, desktop or both (if you use minimenu then they show up on specific tabs).

on your SD CARD:

/pandora/desktop    - pnd files show up on the desktop background

/pandora/menu    - show up in the Applications menu or in minimenu(under the categories suggested by the developer)

/pandora/apps     - show up in all places; the desktop, the apps menu and in Minimenu

/pandora/mmenu    - show up only in minimenu, ignored by other GUIs

Also I suggest for any Pandora user is PNDManager, it's a nice easy way of downloading PNDs off the repository.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=pndmanager-bzar
Thx got it.

Another question, is it possible to have smaller desktop icons?

Not really much icons suit on the desktop, therefore i ask.

Thx alot

I can't answer this question at this time.  I don't like desktop icons (too messy looking for me) but for those who do I imagine this can quickly become a problem.  Maybe you can try using minimenu when you want to look at everything you have installed, if the xfce menu doesn't work for you.  Once you get a lot of stuff installed I don't think you will have enough desktop real estate for all the icons. 

Right-Click somewhere empty on the desktop. A menu will pop-up, select Desktop Settings, then go to the Icon tab.. there it should allow you to lower the icon size. 

Thx alot
You can change the icon size as TrashyMG said.

Also you can decrease the spacing between icons, see this thread

Got the PND Manager file, but where should i put this file?

Tried desktop ... nothing appears

Thx
Any and all .pnd files should placed in one of the folders TrashyMG explained above. That is the beauty of .pnd files. They can all be handled in the same manner, making "installation" easy.

Thx
did you put it a /media/YOURSDCARDNAME/pandora/desktop directory?

if so maybe eject the SD card and put it back in?

Thx
Any and all .pnd files should placed in one of the folders TrashyMG explained above. That is the beauty of .pnd files. They can all be handled in the same manner, making "installation" easy.
Doesnt work

Do you see any files on the SD card when it's in the Pandora?

Just curious if your SD card may be formatted to exfat or ntfs something the Pandora doesn't have installed by default.

Back