Tv-in

enigmacipher

Still Fresh
I have a friend with a portable 9in DVD player. The DVD player can output to an external tv, but I can see myself using it as a moniter itself. How easily can this be done with the pandora?

maybe with a small hardware hack, like using the mic input(1 pin for audio, 1 pin for video, 1 pin for ground)?

It's considered rude to not read a board to some degree (i.e. at least looking at the existing topic titles on page 1) before posting in it. There is already at least one other thread asking about video-in, only a few topics down from yours.

woo, i think im the one responsible for the previous topic.
if your wondering, the most common ideas are a USB converter and the sandisk v-mate which records directly to a SD card.

enigmacipher said:
I have a friend with a portable 9in DVD player. The DVD player can output to an external tv, but I can see myself using it as a moniter itself. How easily can this be done with the pandora?

maybe with a small hardware hack, like using the mic input(1 pin for audio, 1 pin for video, 1 pin for ground)?
Why do you need TV-in if you're asking about outputting to an external monitor?

To answer the question you didn't know you were asking: the Pandora can output to any source that accepts "normal" video in (as in: no HDMI or VGA) but, unless you have a particularly fine DVD player, I think you'll going to be a tad disappointed by the result. Most portable DVD players have a resolution that doesn't even come close to the Pandora's 800x400.

That resolution (on that size screen) makes any video look gorgeous. I own a Pepper Pad 3 which I practically only use to play video, because of a 7" 800x480 screen and I play videos on my N800 (admittedly, not so much anymore these days), which will only support 400x240 with pixel-doubling (because of crappy processor) and still looks blooming good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reasonably certain the op is saying he has a mini DVD player without screen, and wants to know if he can use the Pandora as a screen. In which case, the answer is no with a "but just look a few topics down" as per Prophet's post.

WizardStan said:
I'm reasonably certain the op is saying he has a mini DVD player without screen, and wants to know if he can use the Pandora as a screen. In which case, the answer is no with a "but just look a few topics down" as per Prophet's post.
Ah. I guess the "but I can see myself using it as a moniter itself" threw me off track then.

I guess I was not clear at all.

I did read the post only a few topics down, and my question is definitely a different one. I am interested in using say... a RCA cable in the mic jack, and I dont want anything to do with buying a usb adapter.

I dont want to record or watch TV through a USB>AV type thing, but rather plug in an xbox, so I could use the pandora as a moniter.

Would it be possible to do that?

to recap:

I dont want to output video from the :pandora1: to any source.
I dont want to buy a usb device.
I dont want anything to do with television or recording.
I want to use the pandora as a moniter FOR a non-portable game console.

I can't think of a way to do that without any modification that doesn't harm other pandora functions.

It's too small of a screen for an xbox or something similar anyway. Get a projector or a small screen for that. Or if you really want to, you'll have to get yourself an usb tv card.

bestbuy had about a half dozen headphone>red/white RCA aux adapters on clearence for about 2.50 a peice.

instead of using the red and white for left and right audio, you could use the red for video and the white for mono audio, and simply write a prog that uses the mic-in as a A/V in.

so sindbad, are u saying that won't work?

that was my intention too.
the USB device i found was mainly chosen for its ability to be used as a RCA (red yellow white cable) to USB adapter, not for on air recording. I was more interested in using that to record the incoming signal, as i figured using it as a monitor would be a given.
but honestly, the screen is too small to use with a console, even something like the gamecube.

enigmacipher said:
and simply write a prog that uses the mic-in as a A/V in.
That's mostly the problem. It's not simple in any way and may not even be possible, as there usually are dedicated chips for this sort of things.

This has too little use to put effort into.

i dont understand the facination with tv out or tv in (or any analog). digital has been availiable for a while now. i also dont understand ( or care to) how pandora could output to analog video with a different aspect ratio.

matt

enigmacipher said:
I guess I was not clear at all.

I did read the post only a few topics down, and my question is definitely a different one. I am interested in using say... a RCA cable in the mic jack, and I dont want anything to do with buying a usb adapter.

I dont want to record or watch TV through a USB>AV type thing, but rather plug in an xbox, so I could use the pandora as a moniter.
Would it be possible to do that?

to recap:

I dont want to output video from the :pandora1: to any source.
I dont want to buy a usb device.
I dont want anything to do with television or recording.
I want to use the pandora as a moniter FOR a non-portable game console.

You would probably be better off with something like on this page.

http://www.allcam.biz/products/ptv.html

Especially the Divx/Dvd player about half way down the page, Which seems to match what you want... And then some. It`s also cheaper than the Pandora, If that`s all you planned to purchase a Pandora for, Which would be a waste in my opinion.

Trooper

thanks for the responses, I will probably buy some sort of usb thing, I am definitely not interested in using the Pandora just as a monitor, I just think that feature would be kind of cool.

enigmacipher said:
instead of using the red and white for left and right audio, you could use the red for video and the white for mono audio, and simply write a prog that uses the mic-in as a A/V in.
An interesting theory. Unfortunately, NTSC has a standard resolution of 648 by 486, for an absolute minimum of 314,928 updates per frame. 30 frames per second equals 9,447,840 bytes per second. Minimum. For technical reasons, it's actually higher than that. That's 9 megs per second data transfer. The standard ADC used by a microphone cycles at about 48'000 tops. Maybe high end ones get slightly better. No where near the 9 million cycles per second required for video. This is why special hardware exists, and why it is more expensive than a microphone. If it were really so easy to convert a mic into a video recorder, do you suppose they could get away selling such expensive devices?

Back