TV-out cable line in settings?

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
First of all, apologies if this has been asked already, but my searches have either resulted in no hits, or almost every thread coming up.

I'm to date unable to get the blue and black line-in RCA ports on my TV-out cable to produce anything I can either listen to, or record.  I've no reason to suspect the TV-out cable is duff (line out works fine, as does video), but I'd like to be able to be confident I've got the settings right before I start blaming other components.

My set-up is as follows:  In mixer, 'select controls...' I have enabled 'Analog left AUXL' and right.  In the 'Capture' tab of the mixer I have moved the 'Analog' sliders up a little (I recall warnings that this slider is very sensitive) and clicked on the little black dot to make it red (I assume this is the capture equivalent of the playback mute button).  Then I enabled TV-out, PAL, 60Hz (though I assume it shouldn't matter what profile I use for line in).

To test recording I'm using 'arecord -f cd -D hw:0,1' piped into aplay.  I've also tried various other settings including hw:0,0.  Hw0,0 reports 'Input/output error' after a while, so I assume that's not right.  Hw0,1 just silently hangs apparently.

Is there anything I've missed?  Or is something wrong in my hardware chain between source and EXT-port?  I note I can't even hear anything if I plug or unplug things from the TV-out cable ports while listening.

Hmm, I've deselected main and sub microphones (internal and external respectively, if I understand correctly) in the 'select controls' window.  Should I reenable them and make sure they're muted?

Also, does that mean you can't use the microphone inputs and line in at the same time?  That seems odd.  As is I don't hear anything either from my line level souce, or if I scratch around the microphone hole.

I'd be interested in being able to record things down the Line-In connector, too.

I've tried poking around with audacity, but it keeps crashing :(

Back