Tv-out For Fenix Games

Burbruee

Website
Visit site
Hello,
I just got my TVout cable for the 2X and at the same time I just started trying to learn Fenix a bit.
Anyway, if you have used tvout for some fenix games on the 2x then you might have noticed that the picture looks a little strange, like ruck-man for example. ( Great game! )

tv2007072215364600bw5.png

As you can see, it doesn't look very good, text is pretty much unreadable and I get the same results when I code my own programs using fenix when run on the GP2X.

If you quit the game, then for about half a second (probably less) before it quits gack to the gp2xmenu then the picture is perfect:

tv2007072215371000jr3.png

But then I came across the game ghostpix which is also coded in Fenix.
In Ghostpix tvout works perfectly fine, picture is great and there are no problems at all.

tv2007072215360700qi4.png

So I'm guessing the developer for ghostpix added some code for better support with the TV-out cable for GP2X, but unfortunently many developers don't do this.

I'm asking here first, if anyone knows what code to write in Fenix in order for the picture to become good with tvout on GP2X.
If not, I'll try to contact the author of ghostpix.

Ghostpix is the only game coded in Fenix that I've seen so far which don't look bad with TV-out. :unsure:

TVout is very important for me as I have a capture card in my computer and I like to make videos of games.
If I eventually make a finished version of whatever I write, then maybe I want to make a trailer of some sort, and then I obviously want the picture quality to be as good as possible, and text to be readable.

Thanks.

Try switching the fxi runtime from Ghostpix to Ruck-man, maybe the problem is there. Since the same Fenix code runs the same on PC and GP2X, I doubt there's any GP2X-specific code for TV-out in Ghostpix.

Alex. said:
Try switching the fxi runtime from Ghostpix to Ruck-man, maybe the problem is there. Since the same Fenix code runs the same on PC and GP2X, I doubt there's any GP2X-specific code for TV-out in Ghostpix.
Thanks! That solved the problem.
I wasn't aware of that I and many others were using an older version of the runtime.
( Never even bothered to check.
slap.gif
)
04-14-2006 VS 10-11-2006.

Thank you, all is fine now! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I wanted to ask something.
What's the best or easiest way to make blinking text?

In the introscreen I have some moving text scrolling from the right to left etc.. And it works fine. But in the middle of the screen I want to put a blinking text "LOADING" while the other text is scrolling and giving instructions.

any time ive tried to run fenix games on my tv it has looked bad. didnt know there was a version of the runtime that works well with tv out. how do the games run with that run time?

i wonder if the new version puck is working on is gonna support tv out.

jbrodack said:
any time ive tried to run fenix games on my tv it has looked bad. didnt know there was a version of the runtime that works well with tv out. how do the games run with that run time?

i wonder if the new version puck is working on is gonna support tv out.
They look just fine with the correct runtime, although they still cut some pixels at the right and bottom edge. But that's not just Fenix, that's most games I've tried on TV. But picture is as sharp and clear as the second ruck-man or ghostpix image above.

Could someone try this with the runtime from Blocked, please, cause that is the newest (and fastest) runtime there is. Thanks.

Fenix uses SDL, and that first screenshot looks how early versions of SDL used to render on TVs. Any recent runtimes (within the last 12 months?, can't remember when SDL was fixed) should work much better.

Quiest said:
Could someone try this with the runtime from Blocked, please, cause that is the newest (and fastest) runtime there is. Thanks.
It's the same runtime that's in ghostpix. ( And the version I now use for all of my Fenix projects. )

for all us super noob's :

what you do is this:

using "Ruck-man" as an example, "ruckman" will not display correctly on TV OUT,

go to another game folder, say GHOSTPIX\runtime\fxi, the good "fxi" file is 2,661 KB, ruckman "fxi" file is 2,724 KB, old version.

take the "FXI" file (2,661 kb) from ghostpix and put it in RUCKMAN\runtime folder (replace, yes). now it works fine with tvout.

Back