Tv-out

mindglow

Still Fresh
Ok I have some problem with my GP2X (Firmware 3.0). I've tried to use Picodrive with the TV-out function to play it on my TV but the picture i get is pretty ugly. It's "wavy" and has dull colors. Is it supposed to be this way? I read in some review that people wouldn't be able to tell if you played GP2X or a real Genesis when connected to the TV. In my case my GF came in while I was playing on the TV and she asked me why the picture was so bad.

The other problem is with XviD movies. They play fine in the built in media player, or rather, some videos play fine. Most of my XviD collection consist of movies with AC3 audio and the media player won't play them. That's why i got the MP2x. Now the movies will play but at a horrible framerate, both on the internal screen and while using TV-out. Unwatchable. I now that I can convert the movies with some program to make them smaller and thus have a smaller bitrate, but when using TV-out i would like the highest quality. Do you know how much the GP2X is clocked to while using the Normal-setting in MP2X?

I don't know but are you using it with a s-video to composite adapter. Because if I use the other one of mine it has dull colors and color bleed.
The other one works quite fine, but of course s-video connected directly to the TV gives superior image (at least for me).

I don't know but are you using it with a s-video to composite adapter. Because if I use the other one of mine it has dull colors and color bleed.
The other one works quite fine, but of course s-video connected directly to the TV gives superior image (at least for me).

I'm using it with a s-video to scart adapter, as my tv doesn't have s-video input. Could this be the problem? Many TV-sets, especially older ones do not have s-video inputs...

are you sure you using "full" mode in mp2x?

Yeah I'm sure. Using anything other than full makes it playback even worse, but even with full mode it's unwatchable.

mindglow said:
I'm using it with a s-video to scart adapter, as my tv doesn't have s-video input. Could this be the problem?
Yeah, that's propably it, dunno why some are worse than others. Can't help for the video playback though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miika said:
mindglow said:
I'm using it with a s-video to scart adapter, as my tv doesn't have s-video input. Could this be the problem?
Yeah, that's propably it, dunno why some are worse than others. Can't help for the video playback though.

try using virtual dub for making movies for gp2x

mindglow said:

I'm using it with a s-video to scart adapter, as my tv doesn't have s-video input. Could this be the problem? Many TV-sets, especially older ones do not have s-video inputs...

i have used s-video to scart and the picture is fine; have you checked your adapter?

mindglow said:
Yes, that's the problem. The GP2X outputs S-Video, but many old TV sets don't understand that signal. Probably your adapter converts the S-Video into a Composite video signal, much more worse in terms of quality, and then it sends the signal to the Scart connector of the TV.

So, you lose quality in the conversion from S-Video to Composite (the adapter) and in the conversion to the TV internal (the Scart).

Unfortunately you have few choices. Buying a new, better adapter may help, but I'll not bet on that. If you are sure that your TV accepts S-Video through the Scart, use a simple S-Video/Scart cable (not adapter!). If you use such a cable in a TV that does not understand S-Video, you will get images without colors. The other choice is using a modern television with a direct S-Video input (not Scart!)

Choices:
- S-Video to Scart throught a Composite converter. Since you own an old TV, I think that this is your cable. Bad quality and no solution.
- S-Video to Scart without converter. Better quality, but B&W images in old TVs. No physical differences with the previous cable! Read the prospect!
- S-Video to S-Video in a modern TV. Perfect image :)

I recorded some game glitches for a programmer using the TV out cable going into my capture board on the PC...
Garbage.wmv

Is it normal for the right most pixels and bottom couple of lines to be cut off in TV output mode? It looks the same connected to my hdtv too. I shifted the tv output to the left but it didn't fix it.

berighteous said:
I recorded some game glitches for a programmer using the TV out cable going into my capture board on the PC...
Garbage.wmv

Is it normal for the right most pixels and bottom couple of lines to be cut off in TV output mode? It looks the same connected to my hdtv too. I shifted the tv output to the left but it didn't fix it.

I think it could be that way unfortunently.. I just got my tv-out cable but take a look at the beat2x screen I captured with my capturecard in this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=543488

It's the same as you describe.. Right and bottom cut off.

Back