TV-Out

mcobit

Advanced Member
Got my ext connector yesterday from WizardStan and started soldering.

I have now a little prototypeboard, that supplies component video and monosound to my tv.

Picture is not the best, as I didn't have a 470 pF capacitor at hand and have used a slightly different one for s-video to composite conversion.

Will experiment with some values there.

Here are some pictures of the board and connector (that is all covered in hotglue to secure the solderingconnections a bit.

Don't tell me it is not pretty... I know myself ;)

img4413m.jpg

Connector covered in hotglue

img4414x.jpg

Board with simple s-video to composite conversion

img4415m.jpg

The whole thing.

There is one thing I noticed though: All games, that use Notaz' improved SDL for scaling, including Picodrive and PCSX ReARMed don't work with the TV-Out.

Only black picture :(

Edit: Here is a picture with it in action:

img4425m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that's a damned shame. Is notaz a big fan of anything, I need to commission a special bat signal.

Does Picodrive and PCSXrearmed output directly to the frame-buffer? wonder if that could be the issue.

Is this an issue we're going to have with the official TV-Out cables as well? :blink:

I was kinda counting on Sonic on the big screen... :(

Now that I think of it I do remember a video of Genesis/Megadrive with a TV out cable.. don't remember if that was an ED video or not. It was a while ago..

The video by ED was made before Notaz released his new sdl. It uses the sgx to scale, so it could be the reason.

You don't really need any schematic, as the ony additional component is the 470pF capacitor in the C-line. The rest you can see pretty good on my photos. For the pinout have a look at the wiki.

The video by ED was made before Notaz released his new sdl. It uses the sgx to scale, so it could be the reason.
No it doesn't, it uses the hardware scaler block in display subsystem instead.

For above to work separate framebuffer is used, and than has to be reflected in TV-out script too for TV-out to work. I'll have a look when I heave some time and my cables set up.

Ok, cool, if it is just a quick fix. Thanks for looking into it. I am not too good informed, how the new SDL works, so good you clarified.

Maybe something, that can still go into hf6?

I shouldn't have updated too :(

Well, thats life. If notaz finds a way to make it work, I am all ok with this and can wait.

I don't have a HD-TVset. Just cannot afford it. Would you like to send me one. I promise I will test it then. ;)

Could test it on a Full HD beamer of my boss. I'll be there next week.

Back