Two-player Mode + Emulators?

Raz

Im thinking....

Most consoles have two-player games... I mean almost ever console does.. NES, PSX, N64 etc...

So, Is it possible to play two-player through bluetooth controllers... I have a PS3 one and Im thinking of getting a Logitech one...

If it is possible, can someone implement this if not already implemented.. Like PSX4Pandora or the SNES emu..

EDIT: Im just gonna ask this instead of making another topic... PSP.... Is it 100% Not possible or like the DC require a lot of work

twoplayer-mode will most certainly be possible for most Emus as a lot of them already have it and there is no need to throw it our for the pandoraport.

Don't wait for PS2, XBox and PSP. Really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well. Im still a little doubtful about the PSP. Im sorry if I sound n00bish, but Im trying to build up my understanding of the Pandora and I gotta start somewhere

EDIT: Can you elaborate on how the two-player works

Well, it works like you'd imagine. You plug in 2 gamepads and the emulator emulates 2 gamepads plugged in the console. Ready to go. If the Emulator supports output on the TV-Out you can even play on a TV set, if not, you're stuck with watching on the pandora screen.

OK, thnx. I'll see if Zod has done that

Nothing more powerful than the PSP will be emulated. Dreamcast is unlikely; last-gen consoles and recent handhelds, even more so.

How two-player mode works will vary from application to application. You'll plug in your controller/pair it up through bluetooth and it will be recognized as an HID device; from there, it's up to the programmer to decide how pads are used. It will work out of the box; you'll be able to figure it out if no one's written a tutorial for the less technologically capable members like you.

Edit: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU i thought i refreshed the page before posting this. Oh, well.

'Balzac2m' said:
Well, it works like you'd imagine. You plug in 2 gamepads and the emulator emulates 2 gamepads plugged in the console. Ready to go. If the Emulator supports output on the TV-Out you can even play on a TV set, if not, you're stuck with watching on the pandora screen.
Ehum. Excuse me but thats wrong. The emulator doesn't have to support anything, you can always clone the LCD via hardware out of the Pandora with s-video.

OK, so TV-Out will work with anything because its already compatible with the screen...

That's as much as I could understand

Can the controllers work the same way... Or does the emu have to support it

The emulator will have to support both two-player controls and input from a controller. Some of the controller support will be handled by the OS. For instance, let's say that sometime in the future you have a PS3 controller and you pair it to your Pandora via Bluetooth. That part of it will be handled by the OS, but interpreting the input from that controller will be handled by the emu (Up, Down, A, B, Start, Select, ect.).

Keep in mind that these are, for the most part, ports of (or programs based upon) PC emulators. The VAST majority of those emulators support two players and gamepads.

TV output won't (or shouldn't) need any specific support from the emulator side as it should be part of the OS.

It would be great if all the game data could be sent to another Pandora so the exact same game would be displayed on both units. I know this is pointless as far as both players being on the same screen anyway, i.e. you can't explore another part of the level like you can in emulated hand helds, but this would allow you to sit apart form the other player, maybe even by miles through the internet. Then the emulator could be ported to other arm systems like Touch Book and OLPC (if they end up using arm) and they could join in on the fun.

Because of the limitations that moms have, most 4 player games before computer/internet I never actually played with more than 2 players just because it was usually me and one friend at mine/his house. This would end up fulfilling a life-long dream of mine if I could play 4 player NES and SNES over the net.

'second exodous' said:
This would end up fulfilling a life-long dream of mine if I could play 4 player NES and SNES over the net.
I've seen this in some emulators. FCE Ultra (NES) on Windows, for instance, has a Network Play feature. And I've seen a similar feature on ePSXe. So the technology is not beyond feasibility.

'sverm' said:
I've seen this in some emulators. FCE Ultra (NES) on Windows, for instance, has a Network Play feature. And I've seen a similar feature on ePSXe. So the technology is not beyond feasibility.
WHOOOHOOO!

And we just both quoted each other with no posts in-between us, oh well.

'second exodous' said:
And we just both quoted each other with no posts in-between us, oh well.
Is that a problem?

A few times I quoted someone that was right above my post and got flamed for it on other boards, and on this one I think. I just said that for flame insurance.

But anyway, I hope people that port over emulators put this feature in, it would be great to play PSX games with friends that live in other places over the net. And if the emulator runs on x86 or other operating systems you won't be limited to Linux/Arm users.

Then my decision is made... I shall get a Logitech Cordless.. Which one is the "best"
So are any devs going to implement this?

Now, I very much like my PS3 pads, but I have to say that they could be a LITTLE more comfortable. I find my hands desire a larger grip. Other than that, they really are great pads.

I still own a basic Playstation-style USB gaming pad made by Nyko (the air-cooler one) that I used to play some emu's and FFVII for the PC. I'll probably use that one with my Pandora. I think I've used it already with Ubuntu, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I feel bad I made another topic :cry:

Nyko...

s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Nyko_Air_Flo_EX_USB_Controller_for_PC_MAC_%E2%80%93_2_PackhuiStandard.jpg

That **** is crazy!!

Well I'm gonna go with teh PS3 one. I'm already used to the control layout..

I've got that very controller plugged in my Ubuntu box this very moment, and I was just enjoying some NBA Jam Tournament Edition on ZSNES. Works without any configuration. Hopefully, it'll be plug and play on the Pandora as well.

I have to say that this controller was a good buy, and I bought it 4 years ago.

Back