Two Questions By Fenix Newbie

Quiest

I like turtles!
Okay, I`m trying to "port" a little flashgame of mine, but I`m having several problems:

1. How do I make a .fpg file, which contains the graphics? I saw the FPG utillity in Fenix Desktop, but I don`t know what to do.

2. How to I use the x,y coords of a process in another process? For example, you have two processes which you want to have different y coordinates but the same x coordinates.
In Flash you have _x for the x coord of the current object, _x.nameofobject2 of the second object. Is there something equivalent in fenix?

EDIT: Something more: I really don`t look through configuring Fenix Desktop tho give me an fxe instead of a fxe. Can someone help on what to do, or give me the link to a topic if this was asked before?

EDIT2:Ignore the first question, found an answer myself.

Thanks in advance!

You can rename any Fenix game's FXE file to your folders name and it'll work.

As for the x,y thing, couldnt you just refer to xobject or another variable each time you wanted to use x?

Reply to 2:

a) If your second process is a "son" of your first process (its created by him) you can use x=x.father; / y=y.father;

B) If your two process are independent you can try:
1st Process: x=id_x;
2on Process: x=id_x;
Then you define id_x with a valour of your choice.

Thanks!

Devlkore, it was your shoot program that motivated me to try this, so I`m already using it!

Mark, "You can rename any Fenix game's FXE file to your folders name and it'll work." doesn`t really help, because I don`t understand it. I get no fxe.

Hmm, I`m gonna try Flamebird2 mentioned in EDs tutorial.

I tried making a fpg file using FPG EDIT, but I really don`t know how to use it.

Can someone Please tell me step by step how I turn my bmp images into an fpg?

Quiest posted on Mar 2 2005 at 01:32 PM said:
Thanks!

Devlkore, it was your shoot program that motivated me to try this, so I`m already using it!

Mark, "You can rename any Fenix game's FXE file to your folders name and it'll work." doesn`t really help, because I don`t understand it. I get no fxe.

Hmm, I`m gonna try Flamebird2 mentioned in EDs tutorial.

Sorry, I should of been more clear. The FXE file doesn't actually contain any data for a game, it just tells the GP32 to look for a folder in gpmm with the same name. For example, my petals.fxe just looks for a folder called petals.

You can get a blank FXE from Gp32x.de I believe. I'm not sure, but if you have, say, PigeonKiller by Goity on your smc, then just rename it to suit your game's folder and that should work.

EDIT: Oh, this is what I wrote about FPG Edit in GPM:

First of all, press File, then new. This is completly in Spanish yet it's clear what each command is. Here you need to type the directory and the name of the FPG pack you want to make, and set the mode to FPG 16bit (Fenix). Press Accept, and your FPG is ready to be filled.

Using the directories on the left, navigate to where the pictures you want to use are stored. They will then appear in the top section, and just need to be dragged down to the bottom section and saved.

To keep the file size down, press file, and convert to the first option. Then press Utilities, and Convert To Fenix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Now it works!

But now as I got everything working, I think it`s a stupid game.
I`m going to think of a new game idea...

It's official: I love Fenix.

Does anyone think that there should be some sort of GP32 Wario Ware, where everyone codes a game in Fenix? It's simple enough.

I didn't think of this idea, I stole it from someone a while ago when Guyfawkes announced his GPWarioWare.

Hokutoy posted on Mar 2 2005 at 11:42 AM said:
Reply to 2:

a) If your second process is a "son" of your first process (its created by him) you can use x=x.father; / y=y.father;

B) If your two process are independent you can try:
1st Process: x=id_x;
2on Process: x=id_x;
Then you define id_x with a valour of your choice.
It called "father " and "son" LOL :lol: (this maybe stupid, but I'm used to parent and child)

aapje89 posted on Mar 2 2005 at 04:07 PM said:
It called "father " and "son" LOL :lol: (this maybe stupid, but I'm used to parent and child)

Sorry if i wrote something wrong... english isn't my fort :p

x.father/y.father/z.father/graph.father/etc... are reserved words/comand in Fenix. x.parent don't work.

Mark posted on Mar 2 2005 at 04:54 PM said:
It's official: I love Fenix.

Does anyone think that there should be some sort of GP32 Wario Ware, where everyone codes a game in Fenix? It's simple enough.

I didn't think of this idea, I stole it from someone a while ago when Guyfawkes announced his GPWarioWare.

I`m interested. Wario Ware is one of my favorite GBA games.

BTW, I already have a new question: I came to a new game idea, and I`m currently coding the menu.
When I use the arrow keys to choose the menu options, the pointer races down and up, so only to first and the last option is selectable.
How do I let it stop after on operation (making another step only if the key was released before)?

I hope you understand me, because, again, it`s hard for me to explain.

Thanks.
But I found a way to solve this by myself.
Your code looks better, but I`m not going to rewrite it.

But, thanks anyway :)

Hokutoy posted on Mar 2 2005 at 05:22 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Mar 2 2005 at 04:07 PM said:

Sorry if i wrote something wrong... english isn't my fort :p

x.father/y.father/z.father/graph.father/etc... are reserved words/comand in Fenix. x.parent don't work.
Nothing wrong, in other languages its usually called parent and child, thats funny :D

Next questions:

Is there a command to adjust the contrast? Or do I have to change the sprites(I hope not!)?

How do I play sounds (for example, when I shoot a bullet) and how do I play background music?

How do I change the font color?

I use this code segment:
Code:
counterx = 320;
    while(counterx>0)
     delete_text(0);
     counterx-=1;
     write_int(0,counterx,117,0,&pointscounter);
    FRAME;
    End;

"delete_text(0)" does delete the whole text on the screen, but it should only delete the &pointcounter. I tried "delete_text(&pointcounter)", but it doesn`t work. Any way to fix this?

When I have the same process two times on screen and one of them is changing the direction, the other one is changing the direction as well. (when one ball hits a wall, the other ball changes the direction even when he isn? touching anything.
How can I fix this?

How do you pause a process?

It's father.x, not x.father. Every integer with a process id stored in it can be used for referencing it's local variables like that from any other process, part of the object oriented part of Fenix. Father, son and a few more are predefined locals automatically filled with id's of the corresponding processes. One of Fenix' tricky things is that is bails out(throws an error and closes) when one tries to reference the locals of a number without a matching process. Best thing to do when referencing is checking the existance of the process you are going to use the id of with exists(int id).

I just want to chime in here.

How similar is Fenix coding to coding in C++? I am currently in a C++ class in school, and it's certainly just beginner stuff, but its a good foundation. I was just wondering whether I can build off of my knowledge of C++ in order to learn Fenix (I plan to at some point.. not before summer though.. very busy :().

Back