Typing in Japanese?

jamesjbruce

Still Fresh
Okay, either I'm failing hard at google-fu again or there isn't an answer out there yet.

I've looked up on the forums, both here and gp2x, on the wiki, and on Google - can't see any instructions of how to type in Japanese on the Pandora.

I've seen several references to SCIM, but I can't find any PND on the forums or app collections, and "sudo opkg search scim" returns no results.

Has anyone managed to type in Japanese or some language that requires an IME, on the Pandora?

If so, could you post instructions? :)

Thanks! This is the last thing in the way of me using the Pandora as an Anki-machine - both entry of cards and reading them :D

Once this works, I'll have my (first!) killer application!

Okay, either I'm failing hard at google-fu again or there isn't an answer out there yet.

I've looked up on the forums, both here and gp2x, on the wiki, and on Google - can't see any instructions of how to type in Japanese on the Pandora.

I've seen several references to SCIM, but I can't find any PND on the forums or app collections, and "sudo opkg search scim" returns no results.

Has anyone managed to type in Japanese or some language that requires an IME, on the Pandora?

If so, could you post instructions? :)

Thanks! This is the last thing in the way of me using the Pandora as an Anki-machine - both entry of cards and reading them :D

Once this works, I'll have my (first!) killer application!

I think that some time ago someone said that the SCIM doesn't fit on the nand, I also tried but gave up, the maximum I could do it install a japanese font to read texts.

The problem with Kanjipad is that it doesn't seem to support Kana.

From what I remember Kanjipad is very strict about stroke number and direction. It really isn't a very good handwriting recognition system. There are a few open-source project such as Tegaki which seams more promising but I don't know if there are quite there yet.

I've just tried getting Japanese input to work inside Pandebian and it is working fine. I am using uim / uim-anthy. I had to launch the toolbar manually but it works fine (tested in gedit). :)

For those who aren't familiar with Pandebian, it's basically a way to run debian within the Pandora OS. It create a Chroot environmental and the loop-back file is stored on your SD-card.

Obviously using this method you can only use the input in application inside Pandebian...

Getting Japanese input to work directly on the Pandora is probably more tricky and I am not sure there is enough space on the NAND. Angstrong repository might/should have the necessary package though.

With Pandebian what is great is that you can have install whatever you want without having to worry about NAND. Also debian ARM repository is very large and you get security update. It might not necessary be the latest version in the repository though. For example I've got Openoffice installed on mine and it's version 2.4 IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that's pretty neat!

Space isn't an issue for me, I'm booting the PandOS from SD anyway.

Is there any guidance for adding the Angstrom repos to my Pandora so I can try installing it? :)

I'll pick up Kanjipad, if only to mess about with when learning stroke orders. Thanks for the rec.

I'm currently trying out opkg to get SCIM, I'll update when I've gotten further (it's doing opkg update as I type!)

Thanks!

Angstrom repos are aleardy configured (or at least some of them. I am not familiar with Angstrom)

You need to do a refresh first:

Code:
sudo opkg update

Then you can list available package (you might want to dump that into a text file)

Code:
sudo opkg list

finaly to install

Code:
sudo opkg install <package name>

I have my install on NAND so I haven't installed anything but it should work. Hope you can get japanesse input to work :)

On Pandebian I installed anki however I can't get the japanese input to work. I am pretty sure qui has to do with it beeing a QT app. Problem using japanese input in qt apps has been a recuring issue for me with Ubuntu (gnome) in the past. Maybe I am missing some package.. I have got UIM-qt installed though.

Thanks, good to know they're preconfigured.

Attempted an

Code:
sudo opkg update
Got some download errors.

Some succeeded, though.

Code:
sudo opkg list | grep scim
gives no results, though. Going to have to search for exact package names after getting an update to work without errors, but I'll poke my head in here again if/when I get it to work :)

Thanks for the help so far!

Pandebian - have you got a link with info about it? It sounds kind of useful, and heck - if I have to type and then copy-paste into Anki, I don't mind doing that in the short term until a strategic solution gets developed :)

EDIT: Interesting, a

Code:
sudo opkg update
worked without errors this morning, but

Code:
sudo opkg list | grep -i scim
returns nothing.

Looks like it needs more research from me, as to how to input Japanese on Angstrom generally...

Any clues will be welcomed, otherwise I'll just continue searching!

Okay, so I found something interesting, which I hope someone can tell me how to use :)

On git.openpandora.org I found this: openembedded.git / recipes / scim /

What's a recipe? And how does one use it?

If that actually turns out to be no good - then there are a few alternatives;

• Download SCIM source, build, work out how to package and PND-ise it. (A guy called AireTamStorm mentioned doing this on the old forum, here - "There will be a SCIM / Anthy port whether it is already in the tree or I have to do it." Anyone know if he succeeded?)
  • Use PanDebian extends to get SCIM. (Don't know if this will actually work outside of PanDebian stuff, I'm not entirely sure how it works)
  • There's an alternate input manager called UIM, which I can't find out much about.
  • Apparently there's another input manager called IBUS which I can find even less about.

So, yeah, if the Pandora git recipe is actually what we want, then a guide on how to use that will be perfect.

Otherwise I'll have to look at some of the other ideas :)

Thanks!

Hi

Despite it is not a quite straight method, rather practical way is as below;

(It requires Internet connection)

a) Install Firefox browser to your Pandora.

B) Access to http://ajaxime.chasen.org/

c) Click [iME on/off] button, then start input in the text field.

d) Type by alphabet, for example; nihon[space]

e) Every space activates Kanji transfer, then select correct result in the listbox.

f) After all, you can copy and paste to another application.

There are some other ways like that.

http://bizmakoto.jp/bizid/articles/0704/25/news073.html

I am a new user of Pandora from last week, keep trying ahead.

May be already resolve yourself but just in case.

I think PanDeian is one of solution especially without any mod/porting by yourself.

This is quick test for Japanese input on PanDebian(should be other language also ok with this environment)

Result

IME

scim NG

uim NG

iBus OK

(with anthy)

Browser

Chromium NG(Crash)

Iceweasel OK

This is very high on my priority list. As you may or may not know, I'm a software developer, an avid Japanese student, and Pandora owner, so I'll see what I can whip together.

Not having a Japanese IME on the Pandora is very painful.

As soon as my Anki pandora port is stable (Just made a release today that might be), my next task is porting and PNDing a Japanese IME. Depending on the software used, it may be work with other languages too.

Back