Uae4all Gp2x 0.7.2

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
ok, i'll just start with the changelog:
  • "Emu Bias" option has been split into two separate options:"System clock", which allows you to underclock the whole system to improve emulation performance, but breaks sound pitch.
  • "Sync threshold", which allows to reduce amount of synchronization between 68k and other chips to also improve performance.
Set both to 100 for best compatibility.[*]Added command line option support (see readme).
[*]PAL/NTSC switch added (must reset game to take effect).
[*]Sound and frameskipping code adjusted to work in NTSC mode.
[*]Faked sound option fixed to emulate sound without outputting it.
[*]Sound breaking problem was hopefully fixed.
[*]Framelimiter fixed.
[*]Added trace mode support to Cyclone. Some timing hacks added to make Project-X work.
[*]GnoStiC submitted a few more optimizations.
Emu bias was split just because it was doing 2 separate things, one of which was breaking sound pitch. So those who can't tolerate wrong pitch now can still adjust something.
This is how "emu bias" maps to the new settings:

emu bias -> system clock | sync threshold
X O O O O -> 100 | 50
O X O O O -> 83 | 100
O O X O O -> 83 | 50
O O O X O -> 75 | 50
O O O O X -> 75 | 25

Note that 100 | 100 wasn't available - this might allow some more games to boot.
Also note that "system clock 100" setting will cause noticeable performance hit. Don't expect this version to be faster then previous one.

I hope all Amiga fans will be happy now and I can move to other projects. Actually I don't have any ideas how to improve the performance of this emulator anyway at this time. As for additional features (keyboard support, etc.), I think critical can take it from here. Have fun!

UPDATE:
0.7.2a - compatibility and stability update
  • Implemented address error emulation in Cyclone (for Shadow of the beast).
  • Added code to prevent out-of-bounds chipmem access (Turrican 3).
  • Crashing games should no longer bring the emulator down with them.
download
source code

Excellent work and thanks for all the effort you've put into this emulator, can't use it yet as I've lost my damn batteries :angry:

"I hope all Amiga fans will be happy now and I can move to other projects."

Can I suggest (if you have time) : Fixing the skipping/pauses in the vice2x C64 emulator and a doing a PC engine/cd emu as vobbo's hu6280 is very good but not complete with sound problems, no cd support etc. and has been abondened over a year ago. (a lot of us hoped he'd come back to finish it but he hasn't posted in over a year)

Excellent work notaz!! The sound pitch is correct at last and improves gaming experience by 100%! Thank you! :wub:

just tested:
Turrican @ 266 mhz
sysclock 100
sync threshold 100
auto FS (or FS 1)
44khz sound
KS 3.1
= AWESOMENESS

Turrican 2 @ 266 mhz
sysclock 100
sync threshold 100
FS 1
44khz sound
KS 3.1
= AWESOMENESS too

This got to be the very best uae4all release yet! A big thank you to GnoStiC as well for all his optimization work and everyone else involved in the emu since the first release!

. . .

I could go on now and ask for stereo sound .... haha, just kidding :p I'm happy for now :)

"SunSpire"

Woohoo Notaz rulezzz

Cheers for the work you did. I cant wait to test it, which wont be till the morning because im pooped.

Its up to you now critical

cool thanks
nice work notaz :) :) :)

how do you use the command line option??

i tried this
#!/bin/sh
exec ./uae4all.gpe -kick kick.rom -frameskip 1 -df0 ATR1.adf -df1 ATR2.adf -skipintro 0

but i dosent seems to work.

i dont have a clue how to use it.

--Edit--

wee i found out how to use it

filenames has to be i lowsercase
#!/bin/sh
exec ./uae4all.gpe -skipintro 0 -frameskip 1 -df0 atr1.adf -df1 atr2.adf

nice :D :D

Thank you both you and Critical for your hard work on Uae4all Gp2x.
I'll test it this week and give you feedback about it.
Feel free to move on another project... Until you heard someone screaming:
"Pleeeeaaase Nooootaaazzzz" ;)

mr.miyagi said:
cool thanks
nice work notaz :) :) :)

how do you use the command line option??

i tried this
exec ./uae4all.gpe -kick <kick.rom> -frameskip <1> -df0 <roms/ATR-1.adf> -df1 <roms/ATR-2.adf>

but i dosent seems to work.

i dont have a clue how to use it.

This is what I tried - I loaded uae4all-tweak into Notepad++ and edited it to read:

#!/bin/sh
./cpu_speed --upll --timing 1 --cpuclk 250 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2
sleep 1 --statusln 1 --mousemultiplier 5 --ntsc 1
./uae4all.gpe

then saved it (both as Normal Text and Shell). The overclocking seems to work, but nothing from --statusln on seems to have any effect.

What am I doing wrong?

And yes, a BIG Thank You to Notaz for all the hard work! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to say this, but this version tends to crash randomly after a few minutes (or sometimes after half an hour of playing) in most of the games I have tested so far. I've tried different kickstarts as well as different settings. The games run fine performance wise but when it crashes the screen freezes along with the system, so you have to turn off your gp2x and back on. 0.7.0 crashed too at times but not this often. Any ideas?

"SunSpire"

Superb job Notaz, most games I tried worked without a problem even on my 240 max GP2X. Haven't experienced any crashes yet like Sunspire.

Thanks and donation will follow for your great work on gpfce, uae4all and mame.

Thanks Notaz and Gnostic!

SunSpire said:
I hate to say this, but this version tends to crash randomly after a few minutes (or sometimes after half an hour of playing) in most of the games I have tested so far. I've tried different kickstarts as well as different settings. The games run fine performance wise but when it crashes the screen freezes along with the system, so you have to turn off your gp2x and back on. 0.7.0 crashed too at times but not this often. Any ideas?

"SunSpire"

Bugger.

Hallie Miles said:
#!/bin/sh
./cpu_speed --upll --timing 1 --cpuclk 250 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2
./uae4all.gpe
You are passing parameters to "sleep", not to ./uae4all.gpe, so it doesn't work. Also you are using 2 minuses (--), but it needs 1 (-). Try this:
CODE

#!/bin/sh
sleep 1
./uae4all.gpe -statusln 1 -mousemultiplier 5 -ntsc 1

SunSpire said:
Can't this be overclocking issue? I've been playing Turrican ~10 minutes without problems. Will try to leave it for a bit longer then.

Is compatability better on this than on 0.7.0.

I have found 53 games that worked on 0.6.4. but don't work on 0.7.0.

Would it be possible to add a way to create a blank floppy on the fly.

Wha i mean by this is while playing a game you may have forgot to put an extra adf for a saves disk and suddenly your asked to insert a blank disk.
You could have the option in the menu to create a floppy. This could simply copy a blank adf and allow you to name it or give it a default name.

:unsure:

notaz said:
Hallie Miles posted on Jul 30 2007 at 01:44 AM said:
#!/bin/sh
./uae4all.gpe
You are passing parameters to "sleep", not to ./uae4all.gpe, so it doesn't work. Also you are using 2 minuses (--), but it needs 1 (-). Try this:
CODE

#!/bin/sh
sleep 1
./uae4all.gpe -statusln 1 -mousemultiplier 5 -ntsc 1

OK, thanks! I knew I was doing something stupid :blush:
I thought the last ./uae4all.gpe was a delimiter...

foleyjo said:

Wha i mean by this is while playing a game you may have forgot to put an extra adf for a saves disk and suddenly your asked to insert a blank disk.
You could have the option in the menu to create a floppy. This could simply copy a blank adf and allow you to name it or give it a default name.

i second that request! btw, how do i produce blank ADFs myself?

kanzlr said:
foleyjo said:

i second that request! btw, how do i produce blank ADFs myself?

I suppose you could get something like workbench or maybe dopy/xopy adfs and load them up then get a existing adf and format it.
Or you cold download a blank 880Kb adf from somewhere. I think you get one with winuae.

When i was playing Lure of the Temptress I was given the option to format a save diskand luckily I had a game on my sd that didnt work so i just put that adf on.

On a different note Turrican 3 seems to do the freeze thing for me now. Not far into playing it. On the plus side its a lot faster though. Im overclocked to 250
oh yeah its the "turrican 3(1993)(Rainbow Arts){cr TRS}" version. Im gonna try another version to see if it still happens

ok here is a list of games that work on 0.6.4. but not on 0.7.0.

Addams Family
Alien Breed Special Edition
Amnios
Assassin
Bad Dudes
Bignose the Caveman
Bobs Bad Day
Bullys Sporting Darts
CJ's Elephane Antics
Cannon Fodder
Cisco Heat
Crazy Seasons