Ubuntu 7.04 On Omap 3 Vid

danboid

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5i9cWOK1spw

:eek:

So there was me thinking Pandora would creak under the strain of XFCE when I see this video of some OMAP 3 device having no problem running both GIMP, Nautilus, xmms and more- under Ubuntu/GNOME! I think it reasonable to expect the Pandora will be be able to do as well with a bit of tweaking maybe.

What I really want to see now is someone using either gmplayer or vlc to play back a DVD-resolution xvid or divx file, or using an external USB DVD drive to play back a video DVD, taking it in and out of full screen mode. Just how good is the video playback under X currently on these OMAP devices? I think I'm going write to one of these lucky beagleb owners and request they kindly do us a demo vid ;)

Kings said:
That's also the OMAP3430, not the Pandora's OMAP3530. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a small performance increase.
Speed is much of a muchness, the chips clock for clock are the same performance. Think of them as the same layout, different market.

Ubuntu ARM is fine and dandy on the 3530 (dog slow as much because of lack of RAM then anything else) but remember your dealing with packages compiled for ARMV6, if you wanted ARMV7 your going to be looking at several weeks and a lot of native ARM boxes giving over there compile time ;). I am sure that it will be done soon after the device is released just for the hell of it, I would finish debstrapping it on my Pandora but time is not something I have much of right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
what are the chances of a community compilation project to distribute the compilation of packages over many pandoras with main server to send out taskes similar to boinc only just a shell script? then upload them to a repo automatically we could even do multiple compiles for integrity checks of course im not 100% pro ubuntu but hey i could live with it

@DJWillis man heh if had a pandora i would be happy to help out with compiling packages (it is mostly automated isn't it? I don't see how they would have clusters compileing packages if it wasn't)... haveing to wait for christmas stinks :)

can't you guys just bootstrap armv7 packages off the armv6 using the pandora prototypes when you're not using them? :p

think of it as a stress test: a compilation version of folding@home. :D

cb88 said:
what are the chances of a community compilation project to distribute the compilation of packages over many pandoras with main server to send out taskes similar to boinc only just a shell script? then upload them to a repo automatically we could even do multiple compiles for integrity checks of course im not 100% pro ubuntu but hey i could live with it
[...]

Why use pandoras? Compiling on regular PCs would be faster and you could in the meantime play PSX-Games on your pandora, instead of just waching the compiler output running over the screen for hours. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_compile

there is mpicc too... for mpi based clusters

distcc requires that all the computers have the exact same versions of programs too i think mpi does too...

quadomatic said:
could we use SD cards for swap space?
You can do this extremely easily on any linux, you just have to specify it in the fstab. I'm probably going to use a 512mb fast sd card for swap and a 16GB sd card for storage. Anything else can go on my ipod, then I can just plug it in and copy it over if I want to use it.

Sam

Back