Uh-oh. What Happened To My Romset?

alyinsanfran

Website
Visit site
My set of 719-odd was working nicely with MameGP32 1.7, now with 1.8 I'm getting 'error reading rom' reports with many many of the roms that were fine previously. Battlezone, Amidar, Asteroids, Beastie Feastie... weird. All my other emulators are fine so it's not a smc issue. It's as if my romset is no longer correct for this version of MameGP32. I may have to go back to 1.7!

Anyone else having this problem?
Advice?

Did you see that the readme tells you to delete the config files from your old installation of MAME? I installed 1.8 by deleting the contents of the old directory (apart from the roms dir!) then copying the new one in, and it all seems to be happy.

edit - Oops, my mistake - it's not in the readme, it's in this thread here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=ST&f=39&t=20573

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I did that Barnesy, cheers for the heads-up though.
Think my romset just became obsolete....
Anyone who's a fellow mame-head, knows ferr shurr their set worx nicely with MameGP32 1.8(!) and is feelin' charitable please pm me...

It's right weird, the last time this happened was when a MacMame set adjusted to a new required set and all hell broke loose, folk were left all 6's and 7's wondering what they'd done in the upgrade. All I knows is I want my battlezone...

Here's hoping someone's worked out what's needed for 1.8 to work sweetly...

Which ROMs have stopped working? I've not got the full set (I have 665, I think), but I've not yet noticed anything that doesn't work on this version that did work before.

edit - Battlezone seems to work fine here

I'm having the same problem, off the top of my head the roms that are giving me gip include Joust (red label and white and green label versions), Bubble Bobble, Tempest(revison 1 &2), Donkey Kong, Bump n Jump, Tiger Heli, Jungle King, Moon Patrol....... errmm, can't remember the rest(sorry, stealing a bit of net time at work, would be a bit cheeky to get out the GP right now!). Maybe 25% of my roms are loading, including some real classics,been playing the hell out of Rygar and Psychic 5 (best platformer ever, methinks). I've only had my GP a few weeks so far, and 1.8 was the first version of Mame that I have put on my smc, so it shouldn't have anything to do with config files from an earlier version. I'll update a more complete list of my non working roms as soon as the boss goes home!!

I don't have Bubble Bobble, but Bobble Bobble works for me. Tempest, Bump n Jump, Jungle King, and Moon Patrol all seem fine. Tiger Heli loads and starts but says 'BAD HW' on the emulated machine, but Tiger Heli (Bootleg 1) seems fine.

I ran my ROMs through romcenter using the supplied 'clrmame.dat' file to make them compatible with MAME 0.34. That made loads of games start working. Perhaps you need to do that? clrmame pro workd for that job too, but I found Romcenter easier to understand!

Yeah, same problem here - I'm now all mac at home, so I had to use my work machine for all the Romcenter stuff!

alyinsanfran posted on Sep 13 2005 at 11:39 PM said:
My set of 719-odd was working nicely with MameGP32 1.7, now with 1.8 I'm getting 'error reading rom' reports with many many of the roms that were fine previously. Battlezone, Amidar, Asteroids, Beastie Feastie... weird. All my other emulators are fine so it's not a smc issue. It's as if my romset is no longer correct for this version of MameGP32. I may have to go back to 1.7!

Advice?

It could be an SMC issue. I had a similar problem with TMGP. Didn't matter how many times I re-created the folders, copied files, downloaded package again, it just wouldn't work (various errors). As soon as I copied to another SMC, all my problems were resolved. It was strange as all my other games worked fine and still do. I would suggest copying to another SMC just to test (if you have one spare).

:)

GA01 posted on Sep 14 2005 at 05:16 PM said:
alyinsanfran posted on Sep 13 2005 at 11:39 PM said:

Advice?

It could be an SMC issue. I had a similar problem with TMGP. Didn't matter how many times I re-created the folders, copied files, downloaded package again, it just wouldn't work (various errors). As soon as I copied to another SMC, all my problems were resolved. It was strange as all my other games worked fine and still do. I would suggest copying to another SMC just to test (if you have one spare).

:)

It is a really strange problem. Delete all MAME GP32 contents from your SMC. Unzip new MAME GP32 1.8, and copy ROMS into GPMM\MAMEGP32\ROMS\
It should WORK! There are no ROM changes in this release !.

Hey I got it sorted! Turns out my romset was completely corrupted. My SMC was fine, MameGP32 1.8 was fine. Somehow my entire romset got screwed up, I have no idea how it happened.
Luckily I had a backup from ages ago, as my last backup had a broken set too!

So, thanks to you guys for your advice and ideas.

alyinsanfran posted on Sep 15 2005 at 03:01 AM said:
Hey I got it sorted! Turns out my romset was completely corrupted. My SMC was fine, MameGP32 1.8 was fine. Somehow my entire romset got screwed up, I have no idea how it happened.
Luckily I had a backup from ages ago, as my last backup had a broken set too!

So, thanks to you guys for your advice and ideas.

Oh, really extrange...

I will verify all deletions and writings on smc into mame gp32, maybe there is something wrong...

Back