Ultra Fit Flash Drive

Rockthesmurf

Advanced Member
Website
Visit site
It also works with external hard drives/usb flash drives/anything.

You could probably attach an USB bluray disc drive and load your PNDs from blurays if you wanted to ^^

"SanDisk 64GB Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive - 130MB/s read - £22.99 @ MyMemory "

Just keep in mind we don't have USB 3.0.

USB 2.0: "signaling rate of 480 Mbit/s (due to bus access constraints the effective throughput is limited to 35 MB/s or 280 Mbit/s)"

So those nice 130MB/s become 35MB/s peak. Other than that, it should work fine.

That should be faster than the Pandora can access SD cards, though the downside is you lose your only full-sized USB port, and USB host eats battery a little faster when enabled.

I quite often hook my DVD burner up to my Pandora in order to fill my Pandora with more music (I could rsync the content over the network, but a reliable USB connection beats Pandora's flakey wifi when you're transferring 4.7GB of data over. I have to plug the power side of the Y-lead that came with the drive into another power source to get it to work though, so usually my Pandora is dangling on a short lead from my netbook's USB port during this operation. I have also not yet tried burning anything on that drive from my Pandora.

I'm also not sure that the PND system would detect a 'pandora/menu' folder on a device connected over USB, but I'd have to try that out before dismissing it completely.

I'm also not sure that the PND system would detect a 'pandora/menu' folder on a device connected over USB, but I'd have to try that out before dismissing it completely.
It works (recognises pandora folder structure & pnds) with USB Flash drives for sure, I've used it this way a few times to quickly try out stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could probably attach an USB bluray disc drive and load your PNDs from blurays if you wanted to ^^
Well no : the filesystem the PND is stored onto have to be writable, but otherwise, yes I agree :p
What happens if it's not writable? Does running the PND fail immediately or do you just get a read-only appdata directory (which probably breaks many PNDs but not all of them)?

I've just tried out out (recursively setting Hase's appdata folder to read only) and it seems to mount and run fine. It crashed when I changed the options and it tried to save them, so I guess it depends if the program is designed to cope with file write errors, but otherwise it seemed to be running okay (I didn't get as far as trying to launch a game though).

What happens if it's not writable? Does running the PND fail immediately or do you just get a read-only appdata directory (which probably breaks many PNDs but not all of them)?
When mounting the union, we explicitly say which FS have write functionnality. And as the union write a few hidden files there, I doubt it would even mount, but I havent tested... Maybe you could ;P

Back