Un-boxing the box. Case of the outer casing.

comradekingu

Glowing ember
Website
portfolio.anotheragency.no
Since this proved to be a more engaging topic, lets have it in a thread of its own:

Unboxing:

I really like the idea of having a unit that doesnt depreciate value as you open the box. To remove the silly no-dust plastic bag, to remove the silly "screen protector" film, a cardboard box that you cant throw for sentimental reasons.

No fancy box that you have to keep, just the pyra, in a

The working dimensions of the pyra are:   140 x 84 x 29 mm

http://www.s3cases.com/protective-cases/model-t2000/

Inside:

6.00″ long  3.41″ wide   1.19″ deep

152.4 mm long 86.6 mm wide  30.2 mm deep

6.47″ long  4.13″ wide  1.64″ deep
164.3 mm long 104.9 mm wide 41.7 mm deep

Fits a pandora snugly. I have a clear and a black one, the black one is the one i like best. Professional and utilitarian. No cruft.

Only drawback is the hinge, it could be a double-hinge to make it easier to snap on and off.

Can have a little emblem to tie it in with its content.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1040 

http://www.pelican-case.com/pelmiccas103.html

The cheapest one i think, at only 17 dollars

Interior (L x W x D)
6.5" x 3.87" x 1.75" (16.5 x 9.8 x 4.4 cm)

Exterior (L x W x D)
7.5" x 5.06" x 2.12" (19 x 12.8 x 5.4 cm)

320 nanuk

http://www.plasticase.com/productdetails.asp?node=202&country=

Nice latches, ugly, but the clear one is ok.

interior dimensions:
  5.9" x 3.3" x 1.5"   14.98600 centimeters 8.38200 centimeters   2.79400 centimeters

Honourable mention http://www.plasticase.com/productdetails.asp?node=181&lang=en  http://www.plasticase.com/productdetails.asp?node=178&lang=en

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it is annoying to feel the need to hold onto a box for no reason.  For some stupid reason I also held onto the box that my Pandora and its box shipped in, with all paperwork...

I don't know if there is any point to the screen protector film thingy.  Is it something that is added after manufacturing?  Does it increase cost?  Is there a chance of damage without it that can be prevented with it?

If I am going to put it into a heavy duty case I have a few Pelican cases already that I plan to use that are more durable than what you linked and allow me to carry more.  For me I doubt even a much smaller case, such as your suggestions, would allow it to be pocketable.  When I am trying to put it into a pocket I will probably put it into a bag or case I already have, or just put it in my pocket by itself.

It may have some unscrupulous effect in that you make the product yours intrinsically. However i think its mostly due to how retailers can figure out if you have used it or not.

Since those laws dont apply for online sale items, at least not here, its rather pointless.

Applying them would cost something, but maybe the panels come with it pre-equipped.

Seldomly do i get splashed down enough for a waterproof device to make sense. It doesnt happen by accident much, so if i go kayacking or similar i can use the hardened case.

The pocketability of the device is good in itself, as it should. If you want to pocket a hardened case, its best to go with the t2000, as depth is the limiting dimension.

A fabric case doesnt add anything beyond that, you could make the case big enough to carry an AC adaptor, but since there is no barrel-jack, luckily there is no need for that.

If you have the small USB-cable with you that fits in the external case then you have everything you need. Finding a USB port isnt hard these days, and also there are other uses for a usb cable, like networking, file transfer, and using the device as a soundcard on a laptop.

The question is, does that lets say 20 euro case make for 20+ extra euros of value added to the whole experience? I think so.

Also, when distributed en masse, it means less pyras will get smashed in postage, or suffer from water damage. Effectivly something thats subsidized by other buyers. So even if I may be unlikely to damage mine, everyone is much better off if nobody else damages theirs inadvertantly either.

I don't know if there is any point to the screen protector film thingy.  Is it something that is added after manufacturing?  Does it increase cost?  Is there a chance of damage without it that can be prevented with it?
Applying them would cost something, but maybe the panels come with it pre-equipped.
This, the screen protector is applied to avoid damage during transport, it comes with the panels

Regarding the topic:

Yes make all that happen, for an extra. I myself want the most basic and preferably blank box there is. In my case the box will get folded and stored away for six months (as this usually makes things less complicated) and then it will hopefully make its way in the circle of cardboard-life, ending up as toilet paper somehwere down the line.

A fabric case doesnt add anything beyond that
I only use the types of cases either to avoid scratches or to carry a couple other little things.  Depends on the the device and the case.  With Pandora it is scratches.  I am unlikely to carry anything with my Pyra, but if I need more stuff that is when I would grab the larger pelican case.  The additional size of either a hard or soft case that isn't basically a fabric bag will reduce pocketability for some people.  If you do that it doesn't really matter what case you use.  For those who are able to fit a Pyra in one of your suggested cases into their pockets it is a good solution.  I do like that it would be more functional than a cardboard box.

Like thatgui said, this is a good idea as an option, but how many sales will be lost because of each additional little cost increase that adds up in the end?  If it added only a couple dollars to the overall cost I might feel a little different about it being the only option.

Wow. Three case threads all created within the last day. I'll pick door number two then.

The Pyra box contained inside the well-padded shipping packaging shouldn't take up too much physical space by itself. What I wouldn't mind is a small retail box that opens and closes like the one the Drone Gaming Controller's arrive in. While not a carry case per se, it's sturdy with a magnetic closure. It also came with a soft, svelte fabric pouch if that matters. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iK7oaLpWOU

To clarify, the Drone Gamepad's box has my endorsement, not the controller(which had a shoddy Dpad, loose nubs, and dismal shoulder triggers). If you're okay with wired, the Xbox One Controller now has PC drivers.

I carry the pandora in a belt pouch. Wouldn't use/want a plastic case for the pyra.

Since this proved to be a more engaging topic, lets have it in a thread of its own:

Unboxing:

I really like the idea of having a unit that doesnt depreciate value as you open the box. To remove the silly no-dust plastic bag, to remove the silly "screen protector" film, a cardboard box that you cant throw for sentimental reasons.

No fancy box that you have to keep, just the pyra, in a
Let's cut to the chase.  I suspect that your primary concern is money - and whether or not you'll be able to claim months or years down the road that your unit for sale is "New In Box" instead of "Used".

It depreciates the moment you open the box - just as a car does when you drive it off the lot.  

Removing the dust protection (bag & film) isn't a "Used Item" flag per say, but keeps the factory dust off of the unit during the packaging phase.  Shipping rooms are notoriously dust-filled from the cut-cardboard dust.  Wrapping the units in plastic before they go to the shipping & packaging room protects them from that environment.  It isn't intended as a "Used item flag".  It makes sure that when the end purchaser (us) gets the item it isn't covered in dust and debris.

The 'fancy box' is also known as 'retail packaging'.  It's a good thing to have for instances where the device is stocked on a store shelf.  You seem to be working under the assumption that the Pyra will only be sold direct and only through ED's web-store.  I suspect that ED might want to sell to retail outlets if and when that opportunity may arise.  Should units sold direct not include what is offered at a retail location sale?

There is no reason to retain the 'original box' if you don't have an intention to re-sell the unit.  If it were a larger item (high end speakers) where the original shipping crate is valuable simply for protecting the device(s) during shipping, then having the original box is a value for the used purchaser as a means of properly packaging and shipping the item.  The item should still be listed as used.

So, please clarify WHY you're so concerned about your Pyra's value being lowered when you open and use it.  This is an expected devaluation that we all should expect when we purchase and use an item.  You should not expect to recoup the original, "New In Box" retail value of any item that you have -used-.

rygD: The pelican has a carabiner on it, that you can hook to your belt.

Saber & Klapse: The hardened cases have padding inside, which means they are the smallest confinement to offer outside protection and knock-resistance.

Does anyone use the fabric pouch to store the pandora in their pocket? What are the benefits of that? Back in the day it was to store cartridges, but thats no longer the case (puns, oh puns)

Grench: No, not at all. i havent sold any of my pandoras, nor do i intend to. I even have my gp2x. Im fully aware a used item is less value than a new one, even if the difference is between who tests it for the first time, user or factory. How the feeling of that devaluation happens is the important bit.

I dont think i would lose more by 'opening' the device than i would by adding 15-30 extra euro to the shipping, so there is a point to be made.

As i think even the packaging is valuable, for what becomes a prospect of the wrong reasons. (hoarding) Its better to combine all values that are good, and still have it be functional beyond purchase.

The eki-box was very artistic, i guess that's lost on a hardened case, but it does spell professional like nothing else. The device (3g)/linux|gnu (more mature)/how its set up, is more geared towards general computing now, at least that's much more feasible (and lucrative) rather than the (exclusively) game-centric approach. As such it appeals to a lot more people if its catered towards professional design-language and presentation and feels like that in use.

Wrapping things in plastic is ugly, and its a low quality feel. Paper is a much better alternative.

Yes, a high-end device should have good and valuable crates, that is what hardened cases are. As i alluded to above, affectional value is very high with any kind of box officially tied to a good device, thats to do with feelings, not money. For me anyhow.

I was very glad i could throw away (mentally, i really recycled it) the cardboard box for my first pandora, since it was just regular cardboard.

Come to think of it i still have the official earphones from the gp2x. Its junk with a name on it, id much rather they didnt do that.

Yes, a high-end device should have good and valuable crates, that is what hardened cases are. As i alluded to above, affectional value is very high with any kind of box officially tied to a good device, thats to do with feelings, not money. For me anyhow.
Change that to, "a high-end device should have good packaging to protect it during delivery," and I'd agree to that.

Hardened cases would be overkill for the rest of us who unbox our toys and chuck the expendable cardboard boxes into the recycling pile.  It is a clam shell pocket computer.  I plan to close it, put it in my pocket and walk on.  It does not require an expensive siege case to do it's job.

A cardboard shipping box's job is to be mashed, smashed, thrown and generally destroyed in it's effort to protect it's contents while remaining light enough to add little to the overall shipping costs.  If you choose to retain a box for it's artwork - or just like making cardboard towers in your spare bedroom - more power to you.  There is nothing that says you have to keep the boxes though - and they do recycle.

You are refusing to use empathy, i am not you, i dont subscribe to your views. When you impose them on me, you are wrong, when you adhere to them, im not telling you the same. I understand you, you fail to understand me.

On the premise of wear, i actually like my devices to look worn. There is good wear and there is bad wear. Wear-use is for the better, wear-damage is for the worse.

At best it adds character, like willie-nelsons guitar. At worst it looks like scraped paint and cracks.  Mousepads, keyboards, im my experience often get better with wear. Not membrane keyboards and cloth mousepads though, they only get worse. I also like the parts that are meant to wear to be replacable. It is a peace of mind. Not because i couldnt afford to buy another whole device, but because i like what i have. I like my decicion of getting it, i figure into that the countless things ive tried. And if im honest im willing to pay much more for that then something that is just good enough, for a while, and then break. (like razer mice)

I dont take my speakers with me, so the point is a bit moot, i do have the shipping crates for when i move houses. I do bring high-end headphones with me everywhere i go, and im not sorry if they break, then they arent good enough. Thats actually a primary concern to the sound, because out of every headphone that sound good, there are only a few that can be used.

The basis of a hack/good design is to maximize use, get many uses out of things, serve many different goals and make good compromises.

Why shouldnt a high-end device meant for pocketable use be strong enough to be pocketed without a cumbersome case, (which all cases are)

Well it cant be waterproof without serious effort, and thats where a waterproof case comes in. It can have no moving parts, but still be not crush impact-proof due to size. Well thats where a good case adds just that.

I am _not_ saying you grench have to spend extra for a protective case, not at all, im saying i want to, and im arguing that point for the people who do.  If a case is offered, why is it a cloth one?

Why shouldnt a high-end device meant for pocketable use be strong enough to be pocketed without a cumbersome case, (which all cases are)

Well it cant be waterproof without serious effort, and thats where a waterproof case comes in. It can have no moving parts, but still be not crush impact-proof due to size. Well thats where a good case adds just that.

I am _not_ saying you grench have to spend extra for a protective case, not at all, im saying i want to, and im arguing that point for the people who do.  If a case is offered, why is it a cloth one?
I'm in the camp that would love a simple and cheap thin cloth pouch included in the box for the Pyra. Apparently the portable device is supposed to fit in a regular pocket and a case made of fabric, instead of neoprene or plastic, wouldn't be nearly as bulky. Sure, the latter would be much more protective from the elements or bumps than a piece of cloth wrap, but a pouch wouldn't need to be lugged around like a lunch or utility box. A big plus when you only want to have everything you need discreetly on your person, and not hanging off you from a strap, handle, or belt accessory.

Like one of those things that sunglasses come in? Those are doubly effective as something to wipe the screen with.

Maybe that could be opt in too, or not a pyra brand item. Dont want to think im not getting the full pyra experience ;)

The (included) pouch for the GCW was horrid, yes its probably supercheap, but its addition makes the whole device seem less valuable.

If the issue was solved as much as possible in the actual case, and things added onto it http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16540-case-material-and-strength/#entry341955

then there would be ness need of something to put on and off, which is cumbersome.

rygD: The pelican has a carabiner on it, that you can hook to your belt.
Some of the soft cases I have can be put on a belt, and the bag thing I use can be tied off, I guess.  My Pelican cases have proper handles which work great for me if it isn't going in my pocket.  I really love the smaller ones.  For the really large ones (not for handheld devices) I actually dread carrying them by the handles.  As for the pocket sized ones, that carabiner is a good selling point, and if I weren't so fond of larger cases, which I tie down, it would be something I would seriously consider.

Does anyone use the fabric pouch to store the pandora in their pocket? What are the benefits of that? Back in the day it was to store cartridges, but thats no longer the case (puns, oh puns)
You can carry SD cards, cables, a small snack, spare battery, etc.  If it is a bit larger it can serve as a purse that has a spot specifically for something like a Pandora.  They prevent minor bumps, scrapes and bruises.

On the premise of wear, i actually like my devices to look worn. There is good wear and there is bad wear. Wear-use is for the better, wear-damage is for the worse.
I feel this way too.

I'm in the camp that would love a simple and cheap thin cloth pouch included in the box for the Pyra. Apparently the portable device is supposed to fit in a regular pocket and a case made of fabric, instead of neoprene or plastic, wouldn't be nearly as bulky. Sure, the latter would be much more protective from the elements or bumps than a piece of cloth wrap, but a pouch wouldn't need to be lugged around like a lunch or utility box. A big plus when you only want to have everything you need discreetly on your person, and not hanging off you from a strap, handle, or belt accessory.
Yes, a Pyra bag would be great.  My Pandora rides in my red Club Nintendo pouch when I don't have it in the Pelican case with HDDs and such.

The 'fancy box' is also known as 'retail packaging'.  It's a good thing to have for instances where the device is stocked on a store shelf.  You seem to be working under the assumption that the Pyra will only be sold direct and only through ED's web-store.  I suspect that ED might want to sell to retail outlets if and when that opportunity may arise.  Should units sold direct not include what is offered at a retail location sale?
Do you really think that is going to happen ? I wouldn't mind a cardboard box that has printing on it, seems just like a waste of resources.

Just a simple generic brown or white cardboard box (no printing on it) is good enough for me.

If there will be retail in physical stores where the package is supposed to look attractive on shelves, a printed cardboard box (or even a wooden box with a cardboard sleeve like the traylorpark/ekianjo Pandora box) can be made for that purpose, but even in real-life stores I don't think the box matters much: it's much better to put the device itself on display, with the lid open and showing some demo stuff, than to try to sell it using a nice-looking box.

I don't know how expensive it is to create nice-looking full-color printed cardboard boxes, but even if it only contributes 1 EUR to the total price, I would argue that it's better to skip it. I'd rather spend the 1 EUR on something more useful like an accelerometer, rumble motor, or extra led, or on something that makes the device itself look better.

I don't plan to put my Pyra in any kind of heavy-duty protective case or carry case, because that tends to ruin the experience of an ultra-portable device: it becomes less pocketable and less immediately available. If I accidentally drop a device, it's usually while using it, so carry cases don't help much to prevent that. I avoid scratches by avoiding to put it in pockets that contain potentially damaging items like keys or coins. The whole point of a clamshell form factor is that the device itself is its own protective case. If it needs an additional layer of protection just to survive normal use, then it simply isn't properly designed.

I'm not saying that the kind of protective cases mentioned in the first post are completely useless -- of course there are occasions when they would be useful, e.g. if you want to take your Pyra with you while rafting or doing some other rough sport. But I think that is a rather small niche within this niche. Most people will use their Pyra most of the time in an urban environment, either indoors or in moderate outdoors conditions (mostly protected from the elements). There may be people who want to carry their Pyra around during military desert operations, under water, or while playing rugby, but I think it's a small minority.

I'm happy for the Pyra to be shipped in a box that can be discarded afterwards. Retail packaging is an essential part of buying something. All for a soft foam bag instead of a hard first aid kit looking thing that I wouldn't want to admit I carry it around.

If you really want a third party case.. Buy one yourself so none of us other people have to suffer the nerd effect.

It should be shipped in a cardboard box that can be folded into a VR headset.
+10.  That would be awesome.

Hold the Pyra fully open with a 6" deep VR headset on it right up to your face and your hands right in front of your nose for the controls.  Rest your hands comfortably on your chin and...  

OK, it would look really really goofy, but I'm all for making the box reusable and cheap.

But things also do have different retail packaging from the online stuff. A lot of online retailers sends their stuff in just plain cardboard, no blisterpacks <3

I think also retail sales is part of the waste of resources. It is more costly, could get stolen, etc. Internets is the future.

That means postal system, and a lot of postal systems have different size packages. Its much easier to fit a small pyra package inside one of those, rather than having to re-package or crumple the original-box.

Back