Underappreciated Games That Need A Sequel

palmertech

I was sitting thinking one day about all the great games out there that should be remade or given a sequel. But then I realized: Wait, there are a lot of good games out there that nobody would EVER think to make a sequel to. This thread is for any games that were underappreciated, and why should have their legacy continued.

I will start: Pokemon Trading Card Game for Game Boy Color.

This game was a true card fighter gem, featuring good graphics, good music, and of course, the standard cheesy card fighter story of wanting to be the very best. Unfortunately, it came out in an age where traditional pokemon games ruled, and so it was cast aside, praised by critics, shunned by buyers.

I think that this game would be excellent on the NDS. Not only would the touch screen provide a far more natural interface with the playing field, but wifi play would be extremely awesome. There was another DS card fighter (Cant remember the name) that used a series of holes made in real cards to to guide stylus presses onto the screen, letting you import your real cards into the game. This would probably not be adopted by Nintendo, but the inclusion of some sort of system to import real cards into the game would be fantastic.

Who is with me on this? Any other games that need a sequel? Post here! I have a few more, but I want to hear what other people say.

Another entry is required in the Road Rash franchise. Obviously I don't need to go into how good Road Rash was when it first landed on the Megadrive. The PSX versions down the track were a logical follow on, I guess, but imo weren't handled elegantly. What changed my world was Road Rash 64. This is my game of games (I'm a simple guy).

There's no depth to it, but I've shown that game to people young and old over the years and there wasn't one person who didn't cough up laughter at the sheer spectacle of it. RR64 is pure high speed slapstick violence, and one of the best bang for your buck games out there.

I can only dream about a current gen RR. I'd like to see them stick with the RR64 feel, but add some depth, and lots of blood and dismemberment, and online play of course. Apparently there was a version in the pipeline for Xbox, but it was canned. There's also a rumour of a PS3 version, but I'm not holding my breath.

Goity said:
FFX-2 needs a sequel.
No, FFX needs to have never had a sequel in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sega GT from DC & XBOX. 2002 & online version were meant to be serious competition to GT3 on PS2.

I had both and always preferred Sega GT - a lot more game (I found GT3 a bit boring after a while, so much effort to get new cars to drive on the same tracks ... ). Pity Sega did not keep development up on this franchise. Would be nice to see a next gen version :)

Blast Corps for N64. Imagine a modern version of the game with good physics.

Rise of the Robots? :D Forsaken for the N64 was an awesome multiplayer.. not sure if its worth a sequel, also G-Police on the PSX was quite a good shooter as far as I recall.

The only game that immediately strikes me as deserving a sequel is Beyond Good and Evil but that is getting one now.

I think Metal Arms: Glitch in the System should get one. That was a nice little gem from the last gen.

Obviously, Shenmue 3 as well :p

I'd like to see a Psychonauts sequel, but that's the obvious answer as it's the most appreciated underappreciated game ever. Also, a new Chronicles of Riddick game would be pretty sweet, instead of another shit movie. I heard they're remaking Escape from Butcher Bay for 360 and PS3, which will be nice.

Rise of the Robots? biggrin.gif

Unfortunately someone did make a sequel. sad.gif

Probably explains why Acclaim went under then.. I was just thinking back to the old days of Bad Influence and Gamesmaster. IIRC Bad Influence having the opening sequence from Rise of the Robots..

On topic: A modern update of the Soul Blazer/Illusion/Terranigma games by Square Enix perhaps? (Seeing as they're fully in the habit of dusting off old SNES games for DS updates :p)

Gruso said:
Another entry is required in the Road Rash franchise. Obviously I don't need to go into how good Road Rash was when it first landed on the Megadrive. The PSX versions down the track were a logical follow on, I guess, but imo weren't handled elegantly. What changed my world was Road Rash 64. This is my game of games (I'm a simple guy).
I thought Road Rash on the 3DO was pretty good, but I haven't played the other versions.

There was this game way back in the 80s that was incredibly awesome, but I guess it never caught on - but I've always wanted it to have some kind of sequel. I mean the story was brilliant and the game play was awesome. I must have played that game over and over again 100s of times. It was a platformer - so it was a game of pure twitch - and I loved it.

It's been a while, I'll try to remember the name, it was kind of weird sounding. It was about this construction worker or something.... I think he was from New York... And he was fighting a dragon or something.

Mighty Santino Twins, maybe?

Big Spiglio Mafia? Mega Brogio Siblings? Strong Marcelo Buddies? I don't know. But it was awesome. I think it would have really gone places if someone had just made a sequel. Who knows, Nintendo might still be in business if they had just tried it.

===

Enough bad humor aside - I want to see a TRUE Mega Man sequel - not this trading card digimon knock-off bs they call "megaman" now - but a real fight 8 themed robots to gain their powers 2D platformmer as a freaking ROBOT named MegaMan to get to Dr. Wily sequel.

I'd like to see a new (2D!!) Jazz Jackrabbit.

chad78 said:
There was this game way back in the 80s that was incredibly awesome, but I guess it never caught on - but I've always wanted it to have some kind of sequel. I mean the story was brilliant and the game play was awesome. I must have played that game over and over again 100s of times. It was a platformer - so it was a game of pure twitch - and I loved it.

It's been a while, I'll try to remember the name, it was kind of weird sounding. It was about this construction worker or something.... I think he was from New York... And he was fighting a dragon or something.

Mighty Santino Twins, maybe?

Big Spiglio Mafia? Mega Brogio Siblings? Strong Marcelo Buddies? I don't know. But it was awesome. I think it would have really gone places if someone had just made a sequel. Who knows, Nintendo might still be in business if they had just tried it.
===

Enough bad humor aside - I want to see a TRUE Mega Man sequel - not this trading card digimon knock-off bs they call "megaman" now - but a real fight 8 themed robots to gain their powers 2D platformmer as a freaking ROBOT named MegaMan to get to Dr. Wily sequel.

Are you joking again?

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars...re-xbla-and-psn

I've got my 1000 WiiPoints waiting for download.

icurafu said:
chad78 said:
I want to see a TRUE Mega Man sequel.
Are you joking again?

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars...re-xbla-and-psn

I've got my 1000 WiiPoints waiting for download.OMFG! THAT'S AWESOME!!! No, I wasn't joking. When I bought my PSP - it was completely for the purpose of playing Megaman Powered Up. Everything else has been gravy. Thank you so much for telling me about this. I am totally getting this game. Crap, I might just have to buy my own Wii just for this game. (The Wii belongs to my roommate.) Although, I will buy it and play it on his first. ;)

I hate what Capcom has done to Megaman. X was one thing (that I wasn't too thrilled with) - but at least it was still the fight 8 robots, gain their powers, 2D side-scrolling platformmer. But ever since "Battle Network"... or whatever the crap Card Capture Collect Gotta catch 'em all bull crap they did to him... I can't even play the ones that are close to right - like the ZX Advent series - because it's too much D*** talking!!! Just let me jump and shoot for f's sake! And why the hades do the characters have to have voices - AT ALL? I don't want to hear them grunt and yell every time I press a button. I play with the sound off - and whenever I get to a dialog time - or a cut scene *THAT I CANNOT SKIP* I just hold the button down until it's time to go again.

Megaman 9 - that's perfect. I'm so there. Thank you - THANK YOU Icurafu - you just made my day!

lizard808uk said:
Rise of the Robots? :D Forsaken for the N64 was an awesome multiplayer.. not sure if its worth a sequel, also G-Police on the PSX was quite a good shooter as far as I recall.
G Policedid have a sequel, , alas just for the Play Station, and I'd moved on to PC Games by then, but may hunt out a copy as the original was my fave PS game.

One from longer ago - Hired Guns a great Amiga game at the time and one with the concept that could be re-done now as an excellent real 3D game.

Oh and finally I'd loved it if any of the sequels to ELite had been as good, but alas, they weren't (IMHO)

Eserim

Back