Uninstalling Packages From Nand

Hitnrun

Well, my NAND is 93% used, I want to install some things on it to test, so I need some free space.
I really don't know what is using this much NAND, as I don't installed to many things on it, but, well, let's try uninstalling something.

Searching the forums I found nothing about packages "safe" to uninstall. I found a mention about Samba, but I can't seem to uninstall it.

# opkg remove samba
Collected errors:
* print_dependents_warning: Package samba is depended upon by packages:
* print_dependents_warning: libsmbclient0
* print_dependents_warning: These might cease to work if package samba is removed.

# opkg remove libsmbclient0
Collected errors:
* print_dependents_warning: Package libsmbclient0 is depended upon by packages:
* print_dependents_warning: gvfs
* print_dependents_warning: These might cease to work if package libsmbclient0 is removed.

Of course I can't uninstall gvfs, it's part of the GNOME core.

I tried various packages, but everything seems to depend on gnome/xfw4, I can't uninstall anything!

Does someone uninstalled something safelly that freed good space on the NAND?
Also I couldn't find an opkg command that lists packages installed sizes, is there one?

Hitnrun said:
Well, my NAND is 93% used, I want to install some things on it to test, so I need some free space.
I really don't know what is using this much NAND, as I don't installed to many things on it, but, well, let's try uninstalling something.

Searching the forums I found nothing about packages "safe" to uninstall. I found a mention about Samba, but I can't seem to uninstall it.

# opkg remove samba
Collected errors:
* print_dependents_warning: Package samba is depended upon by packages:
* print_dependents_warning: libsmbclient0
* print_dependents_warning: These might cease to work if package samba is removed.

# opkg remove libsmbclient0
Collected errors:
* print_dependents_warning: Package libsmbclient0 is depended upon by packages:
* print_dependents_warning: gvfs
* print_dependents_warning: These might cease to work if package libsmbclient0 is removed.

Of course I can't uninstall gvfs, it's part of the GNOME core.

I tried various packages, but everything seems to depend on gnome/xfw4, I can't uninstall anything!

Does someone uninstalled something safelly that freed good space on the NAND?
Also I couldn't find an opkg command that lists packages installed sizes, is there one?
From my very limited Linux knowledge, you should not be removing libsmbclient0, you should be re-installing it after removing samba because that's the file in Samba which other files depend on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nation.A.List said:
From my very limited Linux knowledge, you should not be removing libsmbclient0, you should be re-installing it after removing samba because that's the file in Samba which other files depend on.

Yes but why is libsmbclient dependent on samba, should be only the contrary, no?

Hitnrun said:
Nation.A.List said:

Yes but why is libsmbclient dependent on samba, should be only the contrary, no?
Just re-read your post again and, yes libsmbclient0 is dependent on Samba (I first read it as Samba depends on .... :blink: )Logic dictates then, that there must be something in Samba that libsmbclient0 depends on. You could try removing Samba then fix dependencies afterwards, if all else fails you'll just have to re-install Samba.

Hitnrun said:
I really don't know what is using this much NAND, as I don't installed to many things on it,

Code:
cd /
du > $HOME/diskusage.txt

That should help you figure out where the space is being used up.

Pleng said:
Code:
cd /
du > $HOME/diskusage.txt

That should help you figure out where the space is being used up.
Actually, there's a chance there's a lot of stuff sitting in that home directory as well, depending on what apps he's using.
That's where I'd start the disk usage search. Maybe left over cache from old versions of Firefox, or logs from Pidgin, or who knows what else.

Thunar trash, too. Everything you delete from any SD card or the NAND using Thunar gets placed in trash.

Back