Unofficial Minor Patch (For Minimenu)

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
I think ED is making another set of official patches for an upcoming Hotfix, but I thought I'd throw this out there for those who don't want to wait. ie: You can live without this patch, and you'll get it next hotfix anyway.

Read the patch notes in the documentation included in the pnd.

I'm not uploading it to the dl.open or App Store, since an offiical hotfix will be coming along in a few days. So for folks who want the fix bad, just nab it from my server.

Suffice to say - this is pretty minor, but also pretty darned handy for minimenu users.

(And sorry, we don't have an official firmware repository up, so we're still supplying patches as pnd-files; they're super easy to use, after all! A repo will come along in awhile, so you can just have your firmware check itself for updates, etc. :)

Get it here:
http://www.codejedi.com/pandora/minimenu/patches/mmenu-patch-dmy20100530.pnd

Two changes:
1) The config file for minimenu currently does not set up preview pic caching properly, although the feature is fully supported. (yay for last minute typo in the firmware, sorry folks.) ie: During mmenu use, you'll see the 'clock' pop up and it'll cache a preview pic to your SD -- but it will not pull the preview pic from cache. After this patch, it'll properly pick up preview pics from the cache, and so second-time you visit an icon and rest the cursor on it for a second, it'll pull up the preview pic nearly instantly. So rather than take 2-3 seconds every time, it'll be instant after the first time. Also note, minimenu in the Select menu has an option to 'cache everything' .. hit that, then grab a drink for 2 mins, then you're all cached up without having to cache them one by one over time.

2) A bug in mmenu -- when generating preview pics, it was using the unique-id for the appdata directory name, even when a appdata directory preferred name was specified by the developer. ie: When running an app, you get the correct appdata directory name always, but when pulling up a preview pic, mmenu would create a bogus directory -- which would remain always empty. After patch, you don't get this extraneous directory so only have the correct one -- less clutter in your /pandora/appdata directory. Again, sorry folks -- that one I should've caught during testing. (Evidence -- if you see "quake3" and "pickle.quake3" type names, you know you've had this bug catch you. You shoudl just have 'quake3' and thats it. I'd go through and wipe out any empty appdata directories, and you'll be gold after this patch.)

When prompted by the patch, you have to type what it says, to proceed.

jeff

Champion!

Look at the customer service! You only have a small/tiny handful of customers, yet look at the service!
WONDERFUL!

LOL, lets see what its like when there are 4000 customers, all downloading a PND file and running it .. ;)

Skeezix/ED, should we still-waiting folks download and set aside these update PNDs, or will newly assembled units be flashed with the latest versions of things? Want to make sure I don't miss a hotfix for when my Pandora arrives.

Arkay Firestar said:
Skeezix/ED, should we still-waiting folks download and set aside these update PNDs, or will newly assembled units be flashed with the latest versions of things? Want to make sure I don't miss a hotfix for when my Pandora arrives.

You can wait, as I will assemble more Hotfixes soon. And the latest hotfix will include everything the old did :)

Last edited:
This particular patch isn't of value to those who don't have pandoras right now; this one will be folded into a hotfix, which is the official channel for now. I posted this for anyone whose using minimenu right now, they might want to get a few days jump on the hotfix, since it does speed up their every day use and plug an annoyance.

jeff

Back