Update Abiword or customize menu

sverm

I noticed I had two Abiword icons in my menu, so I figured the NAND already had a copy before I downloaded the PND. The two icons load different versions of Abiword. so I'd like to remove the one pointing to the NAND, and keep only the one from the PND on my SD card. I've looked into /etc/xdg/menus and /etc/xdg/op/menus, but there seems to be nothing but categories there.

Any clues how I can either remove the NAND version of Abiword, or update it altogether?

I noticed I had two Abiword icons in my menu, so I figured the NAND already had a copy before I downloaded the PND. The two icons load different versions of Abiword. so I'd like to remove the one pointing to the NAND, and keep only the one from the PND on my SD card. I've looked into /etc/xdg/menus and /etc/xdg/op/menus, but there seems to be nothing but categories there.

Any clues how I can either remove the NAND version of Abiword, or update it altogether?

Yes - wait for the new firmware beta image I'm currently creating :D

Will the drop-down menus on newer version behave a bit better? I'm having problems with the font and zoom drop downs. It takes many tries to get the menu to stay long enough to make a selection. Just wondering.

Will the drop-down menus on newer version behave a bit better? I'm having problems with the font and zoom drop downs. It takes many tries to get the menu to stay long enough to make a selection. Just wondering.

Are you talking about AbiWord?

That's removed from the NAND, I have no idea if the PND-Version is better than the NAND-Version :)

That's cool. Thanks! Looking forward to testing the next firmware!

I'm glad that a lot of the bundled software is being removed just for this reason. It's the easiest alternative to coming up with a system updater, which would probably be a huge pain.

+1. I could also do without the built-in web browsers. I use Chromium from a PND.

ED, you also noted that Clawsmail is removed. How would one create an icon on the panel to launch Clawsmail (or even Chromium for that matter), if it's contained inside the PND? In the "Preferred Applications" settings tool, I indicated that my Web Browser was to be (and I browsed all the way to) Chromium.pnd, but it doesn't like that.

make your preferred application

Code:
pnd_run "/path/to/chromium.pnd"

pnd_run is a simple program that will run the first application in a PND file.

That is awesome! I'm going to try that!

Edit: Hm... didn't work. I tried pnd_run from a term window to make sure I knew what was happening, and it worked from there. Is the "%s" added by Preferred Applications potentially a prlbm?

Edit2: No. I copy&pated the entire line from PA into a term window and it worked from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That didn't do it either. Oh well, no biggie, really. It's just a couple menus away, anyway.

Weird. I probably should have tried it before giving advice. I can create an icon for it which runs no problem but the default browser doesn't like it.

So here's what I did. Create a new file called "run_web.sh" in your home directory (or somewhere on the SD card would work too, I guess)

Code:
#! /bin/sh

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p "/path/to/chromium-dev.pnd" -e "chrome.sh" -b "chromium-dev" -a "$1"

And make that script your preferred application.

I've got an older version of chromium. Is the new one still "chromium-dev" or has the dev been dropped? Either way, use the right file name, obviously.

Code:
#! /bin/sh

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p "/path/to/chromium-dev.pnd" -e "chrome.sh" -b "chromium-dev" -a "$1"

And make that script your preferred application.

I've got an older version of chromium. Is the new one still "chromium-dev" or has the dev been dropped? Either way, use the right file name, obviously.
This worked! Excellent! Thank you!

The -dev has been dropped, but I suspect in "production" builds only, not in beta versions (like the new one ED just packaged).

Back