Update On Andlinux

LordDavon

I wanted to share some information on what to expect with the next version of andlinux:

1) Samba share (To allow andLinux drives to show as Windows network shares)
2) Added applications (cvs, lynx, unzip, etc...)
3) Plugin development environment support (Slated, but not completed)
4) Projects drive (to aid in upgrading)
5) Installer (I think I have it fixed) *needs a logo for the startup icons
6) Smaller size (About 350MB estimated)
7) KDE's Kicker on startup.
8) Faster... ;-)
9) Sourceforge site, but it is currently still pending.
10) More complete GP2X environment.
11) Reduced system requirements.

I would also like to get some volunteers to help. andLinux is taking off a little faster then anticipated and there is still a lot of work to be done. If anyone would like to help, please email me at davsolomon@gmail.com.

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/AndLinux

David

I don't think you're going to be able to achieve faster and smaller using KDE. If you still want a full featured desktop then I recommend XFCE but if you want a truly fast truly small WM then I recommend blackbox(or something similar)

I thought probably would've been running off damn small linux until I read that it was 500mb. Im guessing it's running off knoppix.

So definitely go with damn small linux instead, nobody wants to download 500mb

For a tiny, light distro drop KDE fast.

I use XFCE, though that's only one step away from the KDE/Gnome heavies.

Lower is IceWM or Blackbox, as mentioned.

Thank you for the suggestions. To answer your questions:

It only has pieces of KDE. Not full KDE. The base Linux system compresses to less then 200MB.

It is based off of Debian (not Knoppix).

Damn Small Linux is a great idea, but isn't Debian based and lacks development tools. The idea is to allow people to easily install applications by using the apt/dpkg toolset and give them an environment to compile x86 and GP2X applications (to start). If there is a way to convert it to Debian and shrink things down, I would love it if you could test the size differences.

The current reason for the large size is that andLinux comes with a complete Debian system, which allows for compiling x86 applications, and also comes with the tools to compile GP2X applications (gcc 2.95 and 4.02, kernel sources, etc...), Xming (X.org compiled for Windows complete with fonts) and CoLinux.

These are great ideas and I am sure there are several areas to improve the size. As long as we aren't compromising function, I am all ears. You are welcome to download andLinux and help. Your suggestions are more then welcome.

David

Back