Usb 1.1 To 2.0 Adapter

paulguy

Website
paulguy.co.uk
Well, seeing as we can't use 1.1 devices in the 2.0 port, but we can use them through a hub, maybe someone could make a small pass through adapter thing, like a 1 port hub. Most USB hubs that I've seen either have a long cable or something going to a box, or a relatively large dongle/box with a number of ports on it. This hurts portability, especially if you have a 3G module that only does 1.1 and want to use it in the car without a bunch of shit dangling around, or even if you're out in public. It'd suck to have to take out a hub and stuff.

some duct tape and one of these or similar
Mini_USB_Hub_2_ports_USB_Hub.jpg

and you should be fine.

Attachments

• Mini_USB_Hub_2_ports_USB_Hub.jpg
    Mini_USB_Hub_2_ports_USB_Hub.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 138
@Gruso - Thanks for the info on the Griffin SmartShare USB. :p I just had a check, and it seems that they're still available in the UK (I just ordered one, too :p ).

i already have one like this,

i will use it because the cable doesnt stick out but rather goes along on one side
Mini%20HUB%204%20puertos%20USB%202.0%20HGEN2.jpg

Good work Prometheus, they must be old stock. I couldn't find any on ebay. I suggest people find them and buy up now. :)

I'd like to mod one into a single port hub, so it's effectively an inline converter like paulguy wants. I'm not too keen to do that to my only one though! I'll probably pick up a second one if I ever see them floating around Aus.

Gruso said:
Good work Prometheus, they must be old stock. I couldn't find any on ebay. I suggest people find them and buy up now. :)
Amazon UK currently claims that more will be brought in stock, so I second your suggestion. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking seriously about the possibility of semi-permanently attaching a non-powered hub to the lid of the Pandora.

Perhaps if my Makerbot stops breaking I'll make a special case that clips on somehow.

Of course, once I start thinking about that, I start thinking that the lid would have plenty of room to also semi-permanently attach a GPS dongle, or a G3 dongle. Then of course, you'd need an on/off switch for the dongles for power conservation reasons....

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/23/cambrionix-49-port-usb-hub-for-professionals-nerds/
Try this

Not saying there aren't other reasons for this, but do any 3G modules actually use USB 1.1? You could probably do it, but 12Mbps isn't an awful lot of room to breathe.

Yes. The Huawei E220, as mentioned on the wiki page. ;)

EDIT: I should specify. :p I mean the USB Compatibility List page. :lol: Sorry about that!

Hey guys, I have been following the pandora for a long time now and have already pro-ordered one with video out cable and now I need another usb port to use both keyboard and mouse / other usb gadgets. I was wondering if anyone has seen one that looks as compact as the one I drew... I'v looked for a while with no luck but thought I should give a shout out to the board for help.
pandorausb.jpg

Please post a link or picture of one if anyone finds it,

Thanks

I don't know if this can be hacked up into anything workable, but it's sold as a hub that's USB 1.1 and 2.0 compatible and only seems to have one USB port on it. It might be handy to somebody, so I'm posting it just in case. :p

Nitpick : You drew the logo upside down. It's upright when the device is open. (Like an iBook.)

Incidentally, DealExtreme has as bunch of USB hubs.

This one looks usable, if not QUITE as compact as frostedfire is looking for.

There's also this form-factor. I picked up a similar two-port one (though mine is white plastic, not neon yellow) from Maplin last year. The DealExtreme one is USB 1.1, though - the Maplin one is 1.1/2.0.

Prometheus said:
There's also this form-factor. I picked up a similar two-port one (though mine is white plastic, not neon yellow) from Maplin last year. The DealExtreme one is USB 1.1, though - the Maplin one is 1.1/2.0.

I like that one, but that plastic makes it look so cheap and ugly....but I guess I can spray paint it black...

Last edited by a moderator:
That particular example is USB 1.1 - I don't think it will be useful. ;)

Back