Usb/adhoc Capabilities?

DrBaronVonEvilSatan

Still Fresh
As an avid user of the psp's non-game capabilities, I have a few questions regarding the Pandora. Will I be able to:

1. Use the Pandora to access the psp's ms via usb?
2. Use the psp to access the Pandora's sd via usbhostfs?
3. Use the psp to access the Pandora's sd via nethostfs?
4. Transfer files between Pandora and psp via an adhoc connection?
5. Use the Pandora to access a 250gb usb drive?

An answer of yes to any three of these WILL result in my buying a Pandora as soon as possible.

5. Should be possible so long as the voltage and ampage requirements of the disk drive are low enough.

Don't know about the rest due to lack of knowledge of PSP software and hardware. :unsure:

I'm in the same boat as KRH, but I can offer this. Pandora's USB host capability means that anything a PC's USB port can do, Pandora's can - as long as the software/drivers are there. I imagine the same will apply to wifi. Pending a more technical answer from someone better, I can give you a solid yes on item 5. (Ideally you'd be using a separately powered drive, or powered USB hub.)

USB drives can work on Pandora.

As for the rest - if someone were to write software and drivers to connect with PSP via USB and/or wifi, then it should be possible.

If your main concern is being able to copy files from/to Pandora to a MS - I'd imagine there'd be some way to do it. Perhaps a USB card reader with MSPD slot for example.

A general answer (in line with what people said above) - if it can be done from Linux on a PC, it can be done from the Pandora. (Yes, there are some exceptions, but in general, that's a good rule to follow.)

And that most likely means you got 1, 2 and 5, hence you're going to get a Pandora :p

DrBaronVonEvilSatan said:
1. Use the Pandora to access the psp's ms via usb?
The PSP is seen a a mass storage device so should be no problems. I'll test it at some point to make sure.

2. Use the psp to access the Pandora's sd via usbhostfs?
3. Use the psp to access the Pandora's sd via nethostfs?
Not something I plan to do but porting over the existing Linux PC side apps need not be very difficult.
Not that the thought of doing it had ever occurred to me until now.

4. Transfer files between Pandora and psp via an adhoc connection?
AdHoc WiFi? Hmmm, well I would have to say no on that as it stands. I am not 100% sure how PSP's negotiate there peer to peer WiFi links but I doubt you could drop a Pandora in there without a shed load of work (and why would you want to?).

Using the Pandora to host a WiFi link a PSP could connect to, hmmm, maybe, never really thought about it.

5. Use the Pandora to access a 250gb usb drive?
Of course.

And there you have it, I read the post and was just going to reply WTF but the more I thought about it you deserved a decent reply ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
My pc exists only as a usb wielding intermediary between my psp and the aforementioned 250gb drive. If not for photoshop I'dve thrown it off an overpass by now (windows xp). The Pandora looks like a good opportunity to upgrade, try Linux, and mobilize more than 8gb. Pocket-size is an easy win over laptop (not to mention my desktop) and it has the right analog that the psp is woefully missing. Usbhostfs with display and keypad redirection is possible on xp, I'll check about Linux.

Okay, I have the Linux versions of usbhostfs and nethostfs. What, if anything, will need to be changed in order to run it on Pandora?

Okay, I have the Linux versions of usbhostfs and nethostfs. What, if anything, will need to be changed in order to run it on Pandora?
You'll need to build or borrow a toolchain, a compiler for your native workstation platform that produces code for the target system, then use it to compile usbhostfs and nethostfs for the target system and most likely add support for them into the kernel. Since that is in nand and probably contained with a big compressed file you will have to build the entire os to install a whole boot image but before you do any of that you will have to, 'port', those programs from one cpu architecture to another if someone out there hasn't done it for you already which can be a bit tough and a target system to finally test it all on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back