Usb Connection Problems

aschmitz

Still Fresh
I just got my GP2X, and decided to try it out. So I stuck in an SD card that I had from my (now broken) Palm, and the GP2X played several songs. Great.

Then I tried to connect it with the USB cable to my Windows XP Home SP2 computer. Windows finds the device ("File-backed storage gadget" or something similar), decides what it is ("USB Mass Storage Device"), and then tells me that there was a problem installing the device. When I go into the device manager, the device is marked with a warning symbol and details say "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

I get the same message on two other computers, so I don't think the problem is the computer hardware (though it could be the OS, but others seem to have it working). I tried a different cable (same plug) that came with the Palm, but got the same error, so I think it's not the cable. I can access the music on the SD card, so I don't think the problem lies with the SD card or it's formatting (though the USB connection could be using a different method of accessing the card).

Another possible hint to the problem is that even after I close the USB connection on the GP2X, the GP2X freezes as soon as I unplug the cable.

So, does anybody have any ideas on what I should try doing? I'm at a loss to come up with anything.

Thanks in advance,
A Schmitz

This is a common problem. I have it as well. USB Monitor (suggested by GPH) just tells that the device failed enumeration.

It is still beta firmware, so wait for updates and see if they fix it. I'm just hoping that I can update my firmware in future because I cannot at the moment.

So that's all I can do? Wait for a firmware upgrade or get a card reader? Hm.

I guess it's beta firmware, but I'd expect it to be the same for all units, and surely someone's gotten it to work. Has anybody else had this problem? Has anybody solved it?

I guess it's looking like I'll need to get a card reader if there are no other solutions... but it'd be nice to be able to use the built-in USB.

A Schmitz

EDIT: Clarity

I'm using WinXP with SP2 and heres how I get windows to recognize the gp2x as a device.

Using USB monitor:
-file->new session
-click next
-select usb monitor
-click next
-under 'Standard Enahanced PCI to USB Host Controller, select 'usb root hub'.
-click next
-Select 'request view' under visualizers
-click next
-click finish

1) on your gp2x, goto Setting->usb
2) then wait about 5-10 seconds.
3) windows should recognize the gp2x as a device. if not press 'X' to exit, then repeat steps 1 and 2 a few more times.

this works for me.. i wonder if it works for anybody else

I get the exact same problem. Plugged the GP2X into a USB1.1 hub instead of directly into my PC and it works fine. The hub cost about £3, so perfect until GPH get there act together :)

Squidge posted on Dec 6 2005 at 11:07 AM said:
I get the exact same problem. Plugged the GP2X into a USB1.1 hub instead of directly into my PC and it works fine. The hub cost about £3, so perfect until GPH get there act together :)
lol usb1.1...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestion! I got Windows to at least recognize the GP2X as a device, and it even recognizes that it is a disk drive (or so it says)! Progress!

BUT: For some reason, it does not show up as a disk anywhere I look. (Windows Explorer/My Computer).

Has anybody else had this problem? I would format the card, but I don't have that ability (my only method of accessing the card is through the GP2X). When I go to device properties, I can see that it says there is a disk of 118 MB (my card is 128 MB, but I attribute the loss to varying definitions of Megabytes), but it does not see any volumes.

Can anybody offer any further suggestions? The USB 1.1 hub suggestion was great!

Thanks,
A Schmitz

If your using WinXP, go into "disk management" (right click "my computer -> manage") and see if it appears there. If so, you should be able to format/etc.

Alrighty. Sorry for the double-post, but this is a completely new train of thought, so I figured I'd keep them seperate.

It works.
Kinda.

I managed to find a Brother printer with an SD card slot, and I reformatted the card (using Windows ME) on there. I gave it a name, and now when I plug the GP2X into the computer (with the SD card inside), I can see the drive, and it's blank. Great!

But of course, it can't work that easily. Whenever I try to put a file on, I get the error, "Unable to create the file FILENAME. The system cannot find the file specified."

So, it seems that reformatting got me further anyway.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,
A Schmitz

Edit: I tried that manage thing that you suggested, Squidge, but I can't see the disk there. Which is odd, because Windows sees it as a disk (now) (ish).

well, we all know the usb port is kinda flakey, so if you have an alternative way of copying files to the card, I'd recommend that. If you bought it from gbax, then send them your welcome letter with order number and they'll send you a free sd card reader.

aschmitz posted on Dec 6 2005 at 03:35 PM said:
I tried that manage thing that you suggested, Squidge, but I can't see the disk there. Which is odd, because Windows sees it as a disk (now) (ish).

I thought the same thing too because I was only looking for it at the top of the management screen. When I looked at the bottom part I noticed the volume showed up there as an unformatted volume (it had diagonal lines across it). I was able to format it via right click > add partition.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply, I've kinda given up on the USB option for right now, I'm in the middle of a lot of things and I managed to borrow an SD card reader from a friend, so that's keeping me afloat for now. I'll probably take another look in a bit, and hopefully there will be a firmware upgrade to fix some of the USB issues. Hopefully.

ASchmitz

This sounds crazy, but try OTHER USB ports on the computer. I had the SAME problem as you - until I plugged it into my FRONT USB plug - and there it works JUST FINE (USB1.1 speeds unfortunately). What's funny is - on my laptop, it works FINE as a USB2.0 device. Weird.

I, of course, am using a card reader instead - just way easier - but at least there is an alternative.

Back