Usb Doesnt Always Want To Work

GizmoTheGreen said:
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt...

i cant find no specific reason when it stops working or doesnt. :/

In Mindlord's video review (EDIT: okay, actually not a review, but whatever.) (here), he mentions that if you plug a usb stick directly into the port and then take it out, the USB control fails until you completely restart the system. Just occurred to me that it might be the same thing (or not... as I don't even have my pandora yet I can't really say).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll drop this here just in case
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54190-usb-doesnt-work-anymore/

mali said:
I'll drop this here just in case
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54190-usb-doesnt-work-anymore/

Yeah, that seems to be the same thing that MindLord was talking about. Appears it happens for most/all USB devices, rather than just flash drives.

thx mali, i seem to have missed the thread, that seems to be my problem.

usb port works once, with one device, then after that device is unplugged it becomes unresponsive.
dmesg doesnt show any new lines or anything..

A quick glance at the bugtracker showed that this bug isn't listed yet. Someone should make a report, imo.

ffwiw, if I connect direct to my HTC Desire using the full size USB port, and no hub, I can disconnect and reconnect without seeing any problems, at least with the phone set to share it´s internet connection (and battery showing 6h, 85%). Maybe the pb is due to using a hub?

I Finely got around to plugging a few usb devices into my pandora...
and I can't get any of them to work! are thumb drives supposed to auto mount? or is there some comandline thing i need to do?

First things first, just to cover all bases (so please pardon me if you've already tried this :) ): Are the devices you're plugging in USB 2.0 or 1.1? If they're 1.1, are you running them through a USB 2.0 hub so that they can be "translated" for the Pandora to understand them?

Some people have reported the USB host crashing. Try powering off and bringing it back up, and then plugging something in. Just one thing, a known definite USB2.0 high speed device. See if it appears in lsusb.

i have rebooted several times and flashed the firmware but I can't get the thumb drive to showup.
is it plug and play? or do i need to do some thing?

have you checked if it's actually appearing with lsusb? What is dmesg telling you?

see now you talking greek to me! :p
how do i do it?

also i know the thumb drive is not getting powered the LED in it doesn't light up

That's a command you would run at the terminal - in this case, it will tell you about recent connections or disconnections of devices.

If you're using Xfce, click on the Pandora menu, and, near to the top, you will see "Terminal" - click on that, then type in dmesg and then press Enter.

Prometheus said:
That's a command you would run at the terminal - in this case, it will tell you about recent connections or disconnections of devices.

If you're using Xfce, click on the Pandora menu, and, near to the top, you will see "Terminal" - click on that, then type in dmesg and then press Enter.
[/quote

ok running that i get this
[ 12.434051] usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 12.440002] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[ 12.443878] hub 1-0:1.0: 3 ports detected
[ 12.552154] usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002[ 12.559020] usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[ 12.566284] usb usb1: Product: OMAP-EHCI Host Controller
[ 12.571655] usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.27.46-omap1 ehci_hcd
[ 12.577911] usb usb1: SerialNumber: ehci-omap.0
[ 12.582763] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
[ 12.587921] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[ 12.594024] USB Mass Storage support registered.
[ 12.598968] usbcore: registered new interface driver libusual
[ 12.594024] USB Mass Storage support registered
[ 12.598968] usbcore: registered new interface driver libusual

that is all the usb stuff i found. so the bus is working but not sure why the drive isn´t mounting

at the command prompt, type
Code:
ls /dev/sd*
should see, like, /dev/sda1 or something like that.
Then check if it really hasn't been mounted. Try
Code:
df -h
and see if there's any additional mount points.
Also
Code:
lsusb
to see if it is there.

What happens if you plug in a USB hub? And then type "lsusb"?
And then plug the thumbdrive into the hub.

Back