Usb Ethernet. How?

I've been meaning to ask this for ages, but:

Which USB port should I be using on the Pandora?
What type of cable to I need?
What do I need to install/configure on both Linux and XP to get this working?
What changes do I need to make to the Pandora to get this working?

Thanks. :)

When you say "USB Ethernet" are you referring hooking your Pandora up to your router directly? I'm guessing not, going by the mention of Windows XP, there...

(Although on the off-chance it's useful, I use Apple's USB Ethernet adapter for this. No need for any configuration or whatever - it just works under Linux. Plug it in and go.)

To my knowledge there is not a g_ether driver for Windows XP. At this time, USB over ether is not possible that way, but should work in Linux. I can't say for sure, as I haven't tried it, yet. You can try the GP2X gadget ether drivers available here. Look for packages labeled RNDIS. When connected to a PC, the USB ethernet device should magically appear in Network Manager.

One of the hotfixes did change how the USB ethernet device was handled, so it may just be flat out broken now.

mindlord said:
To my knowledge there is not a g_ether driver for Windows XP. At this time, USB over ether is not possible that way, but should work in Linux. I can't say for sure, as I haven't tried it, yet. You can try the GP2X gadget ether drivers available here. Look for packages labeled RNDIS. When connected to a PC, the USB ethernet device should magically appear in Network Manager.

One of the hotfixes did change how the USB ethernet device was handled, so it may just be flat out broken now.

It appears as a CDC composite gadget in XP when I plug it in.

I already had a linux.inf file, and it seems to be the same one you linked to. When I 'install from location' and point to the directory containing the file, I have no success (same with this one).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's what I figured... You're going to have to get the Device ID from Windows Device Manager and add it to the .inf to get Windows to accept the driver, and even then it might not be happy about it.

Found it this time, but it's not happy "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

Wait, there's no usb0 interface on the Pandora? Damn you hotfix 2. <_<

couldn't you do the reverse of sudo ifconfig usb0 down? (sudo ifconfig usb0 up, maybe?)

Pleng said:
couldn't you do the reverse of sudo ifconfig usb0 down? (sudo ifconfig usb0 up, maybe?)

Ok, that did something I think (no errors).

Still code 10 in XP though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might need to switch the uh "configuration" of the USB device. Some have multiple to select from, like the iphone for example has a few, like for PTP, Ethernet, iTunes, etc.

Another possibility is that it needs to be changed on the pandora side. CDC composite gadget might just be a generic name for nothing at all until something is there to listen on the Pandora side, like a driver that may be missing or not loaded. This is the one I'm betting on, which just means we'll need to wait for the next kernel.

How I kinda got something to work with Archlinux as other end:

Pandora:
sudo modprobe g_ether
sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.14 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.2.255

You might need /etc/init.d/networking restart too.

Host:
modprobe usbnet
modprobe cdc_ether
ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.15 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.2.255

Now plug the Pandora in! I am using a USB to mini-USB cable (at the Pandora end). dmesg should show it. And you can ping both ways now. If you have sshd running on the host, you could also connect to it.

Well, that's where I got stuck. Bridging or whatever, all too complicated or not working.

So I tried a simple SSH proxy (-D 4321) with no luck. In the end I installed privoxy on the host with "listen-address 192.168.2.15:8118" in its config.

Now you can use 192.168.2.15:8118 as HTTP proxy, eg if you want it in a shell: export http_proxy=http://192.168.2.15:8118

And of course, now that I rebooted, I can't get it working again.
edit: I forgot to unplug the Pandora before modprobing.

i use a wii USB adapter and use the network connections intezrface to set the IP and DNS... without any problems

Back