Usb hub not detected

asimov-solensan

Very Active Member
I'm almost sure that the USB port on the pandora works well, I use quite often with a pen drive. Then I wanted to test some gamepads but none of them works directly connected, I read that 1.1 devices need to be connected through a hub in order to work, but in my case, a 4 port powered hub is not detected.

The hub is listed in my desktop machine as (lsusb output):

Bus 005 Device 009: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB

Can it be any problem with the pandora? Or it's just the hub? I'm missing something?

PS

Before anyone says it, yes I'm enabling the USB host on the pandora.

did you reboot after you plugged in your USB 1.1 devices?

USB 1.1 devices crashes the host.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I knew that 1.1 devices left the port unusable. I tried after a reboot and the hub also behaves on the pandora like a 1.1 device, it screws the port.

But isn't it being detected as 2.0 (lsusb output)?

EDIT:

The dmesg output

[ 910.639241] usb 5-2: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci_hcd

[ 910.754926] usb 5-2: New USB device found, idVendor=05e3, idProduct=0608

[ 910.754945] usb 5-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0

[ 910.754958] usb 5-2: Product: USB2.0 Hub

[ 910.757318] hub 5-2:1.0: USB hub found

[ 910.757748] hub 5-2:1.0: 4 ports detected

Besides I have tried connecting a hard drive on the huba a transfering a file to measure the speed. It copied a 600MB file in less than 20 secs, can't be 1.1

I'm fearing that something is wrong in my unit. Since my hub wasn't on the wiki I bought a new one that appears in the wiki, the belkin Belkin F5U700 (http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list) which is supposed to work but it does the same. At first it is detected but as soon as I connect anything to the hub (even things that work directly on the pandora) the port gets disabled. The hub works in my laptop by the way.

What to do now?

I have the same problem with the new kernel (3.2.21), but it works fine when I boot using the old kernel (2.6.27).

hold the right shoulder button while powering up your pandora and select the topmost "old kernel 2.6.27" option.

if this fixes it for you, its a software issue not hardware.

I'll try to find time to setup my laptop for compiling the kernel and debug this thing if no one gets around to do it before me :)

I tried with two high-speed usb flash drives, two high-speed hubs (tried both bus-powered and using an external PSU), and one low speed mouse (plugged into the hubs).

plugging the flash drives directly would disable the Pandora's USB host port, requiring a reset.

plugging the hubs to the host port the hubs would show up in dmesg properly.

plugging anything into the hubs would disable the Pandora's USB host port, requiring a reset.

I get the same result with the hubs externally powered or bus-powered.

dmesg would show:

Code:
usb 1-2: USB disconnect, device number 2

hub 1.0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2

the usb 1-2 device is the hub plugged into the host port.

the device plugged into the hub would not show up, no messages at all.

at this point if I plug and unplug the hub nothing happens

if I disable and re-enable the USB-host using the menu the OMAP-EHCI device shows up properly (same dmesg as the first time)

if I then plug the hub again I only get

Code:
hub 1.0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2

everything works fine with kernel 2.6.27

Did you try to first put the devices into the hub and then connecting the hub to the Pandora?

Well unfortunately USB drivers suck for OMAP, but it's not acting like that on my side (actually it's more like that on 2.6, connecting "empty" hub kills EHCI port, but works properly on 3.2). Trying to debug this through Stephane would be real painful, especially as he said he won't be available soon, so I'd rather wait for next kernel update, which might be around 3.6 time or so.

mcobit got it. As soon as you connect anything on the hub the port dies, but if you connect whatever on the hub and then the hub to the pandora everything works.

This decreases a bit the posibilities of the usb port, let's hope this gets solved in further updates.

Now I need to find a suitable gamepad, I only have at home a xusb and a psx adapter, neither of them works on the pandora although they work in my desktop linux without any tinkering.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Did you try to first put the devices into the hub and then connecting the hub to the Pandora?
I could have sworn I tested that but I must have had the port already crashed when I did.

good catch.

yes, it works if I plug the device into the hub before plugging the hub into the pandora.

(in big bold to catch the eye other pandora users that may search the forum for this problem/solution :) )

if I unplug the device and plug it back into the hub it crashes the port

if I unplug the hub with the device in it and replug it it works fine.

I plugged another device into the hub while the 1st device was still plugged in and the 2nd device (dvd drive) showed up properly

I unplugged and replugged the 1st device (mouse) while the dvd drive was plugged in and it worked fine.

I unplugged the mouse and plugged in a web cam and it showed up fine too

but when I unplugged the webcam it crashed the pandora's USB-host port.

I've tried again after a reset, this time with DVD + webcam plugged in the hub before plugging, worked.

unplugged and replugged the webcam and it worked.

then I did the same to the DVD and it crashed the pandora's USB-host port.

so, it looks like leaving something plugged into the hub will make it more stable but not 100%.

Well unfortunately USB drivers suck for OMAP, but it's not acting like that on my side (actually it's more like that on 2.6, connecting "empty" hub kills EHCI port, but works properly on 3.2). Trying to debug this through Stephane would be real painful, especially as he said he won't be available soon, so I'd rather wait for next kernel update, which might be around 3.6 time or so.

I hear you, remote debugging is horrible.

At least we got a temporary work-around.

edit: I tried at 500Mhz and it crashed the port just the same.

Back