USB not working?

sirthunder516

Still Fresh
Website
retronuggetdev.com
Hello. I'm aware of the Pandora's USB limitation of 2.0 devices only. I picked up a Belkin USB 2.0 with 1.1 support today at Target, and even though it works with other devices, it doesn't seem to work with my Pandora. I've tried connecting USB 1.1 mice, a keyboard, USB flash drives, and an XBox 360 controller (I've installed xboxdrv and libusb according to another post) but so far none of it has been recognized. What am I doing wrong?

The first thing to rule out is the hub itself - is it definitely USB 2.0 High Speed? If it's not (and a number of USB 1.1 devices are sold with USB 2.0 markings, I've gathered), then that's where the problem is.

The other thing is whether or not you've plugged any USB devices into the Pandora before the hub, which might have crashed the USB host. If you started from a clean boot, this likely isn't the problem, though.

The box specifies "Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Specification" as well as "Complies with OHCI and EHCI Standards". I did a clean boot with everything plugged in, and still no results.

I'll have to defer to the experts, here. That being the case, this is obviously something outside of the realm of my experience. Sorry about that.

Have you tested a USB 2 device in the port yet?

It may be the Hub - is it externally powered?

I got myself a Canyon 7 port externally powered hub and it works amazingly - I don't even have to use the adapter. I can plug in multiple devices USB 1 and 2 all drawing power from the Pandora's port.

The first hub I got was not externally powered - a 4 port Savanna, and it could only handle one device at a time.

Have you tested a USB 2 device in the port yet?

It may be the Hub - is it externally powered?

I got myself a Canyon 7 port externally powered hub and it works amazingly - I don't even have to use the adapter. I can plug in multiple devices USB 1 and 2 all drawing power from the Pandora's port.

The first hub I got was not externally powered - a 4 port Savanna, and it could only handle one device at a time.

Although it doesn't come with a power cable, it has a port where you can plug one in, and I have the proper cable to use with it. USB devices don't work regardless of whether or not it's plugged in. Also I don't actually own any USB 2.0 devices myself to test it...

@Prometheus: Thanks for trying, anyway :)

>Also I don't actually own any USB 2.0 devices myself to test it...

Most usb sticks are both 2.0 and 1.1, if it is reasonably modern

dave

ninja'd

Last edited by a moderator:
In the past I had an issue where the OTG port stopped functioning. This could be fixed by shutting down, removing the battery, replacing it and restarting. I doubt this is the same issue, but it's worth a try.

Nah, it didn't work...

That doesn't sound good at all. Seems to me you have a dead port. :(

I would suggest tracking down a *confirmed* USB 2 flash drive and test it after having your Pandora powered off and the battery out for at least 20 minutes.

If you still have no joy, reflash your unit. Try the flash drive again.

At this point, send an email to whoever your purchased your Pandora from and describe in detail everything you tried. Then state you would like to RMA unless there is anything else they want you to try first.

Shut down, remove battery, wait a few minutes just to be sure, replace the battery and start up. Open a terminal, plug in your USB hub, and on the terminal type "dmesg". Near the end of the list should be some lines about USB or EHCI. If there is, it is trying to do something, and may be followed by some errors we can use to help debug. If there is nothing that looks like USB then there's probably a problem with the port. Try a bunch of other devices and type dmesg after every one to see if it does anything different.

Well, most USB 2.0 hubs only provide USB 2.0 if they are connected to power.

The safest way to make sure USB is working is to remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, reinsert it and use a modern USB Stick (as they mostly ALL are supporting USB HiSpeed) to test.

Well, most USB 2.0 hubs only provide USB 2.0 if they are connected to power.

The safest way to make sure USB is working is to remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, reinsert it and use a modern USB Stick (as they mostly ALL are supporting USB HiSpeed) to test.

None of my modern USB drives worked when plugged in.

Back