USB tethering to Android

LogicalUnit

Still Fresh
Hi everyone,

I am aware that the Pyra has a SIM slot and a cellular data connection. However, in Australia, it is much cheaper to tether to an existing mobile phone device than to add a data-only plan (I'm with Telstra). I have a Samsung Galaxy S6, and it is possible to tether it to my Windows 7 PC without any additional apps or drivers. You just connect the USB, and turn tethering on in your settings.

Will this be possible with the Pyra? I'm really looking forward to using it as a mobile PC, and it would great if USB tethering were that easy. (I'm also aware that tethering can be done over WiFi, but I find USB is more stable)

Many thanks.

While tethering, the host computer just sees a USB modem. So as long as your phone supports tethering an your host OS knows how to handle a USB modem tethering is no problem.
I have no Android devices, but I know that I can use my Nokia N900 for tethering with my laptop running Debian. It works via USB and bluetooth (wifi not tested).

So to get a clear answer I'd suggest to get Debian running on your desktop computer and try if you can get tethering to work with your phone. If that works it will work exactly the same way on the Pyra.

Maybe hotspot is better.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
that is what tethering is. turn hotspot on and connect to the pyra/laptop with either USB,WiFi or Bluetooth. i tether my Samsung S5 to my surface pro 3 via wifi. works fine ..

When I tried tethering a Galaxy Tab to my desktop, it showed up as an USB ethernet device. I had to type something like sudo dhcpcd usb0 to use it, but if the Pyra comes with NetworkManager, then that will take care of it. So yes, it will be possible and easy.

As @Ted mentioned above, I would also use Androids WiFi-Hotspot functionality and connect my Pyra with the Android hotspot.

When I was at uni I used the Pandora with USB tethering to Android, which was straightforward. I would have preferred wifi tethering, but couldn't make the Pandora connect to that, so I hope that will work on the Pyra.

Back