USB to USB transfer from one Pandora to another?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Maybe a silly question, but is this possible to transfer stuff between two Pandoras if you connect them with a USB cable male-male ?

I think this is possible on Windows 7 to transfer files between two computers, but I was wondering if this kind of protocol is supported between Pandoras as well ? This would probably be much faster than establishing a wifi connection between the two.

USB - Standard does not allow this behaviour - you always need a master and a slave (what a stupid standard - thanks Intel) - transfer cables for pcs have usually a USB controller in it, that does trick both sides to think everthing is according to protocoll.

You can connect two Pandoras via USB to USBOnTheGo (USBA - Male <-> USBB-Male)

USB - Standard does not allow this behaviour - you always need a master and a slave (what a stupid standard - thanks Intel) - transfer cables for pcs have usually a USB controller in it, that does trick both sides to think everthing is according to protocoll.

You can connect two Pandoras via USB to USBOnTheGo (USBA - Male <-> USBB-Male)

Thanks for the clarification -> when you connect them together what do you actually see ? Does the other Pandora appear in the file manager, or do you need to interact with the terminal as the only tool ?

Thanks for the clarification -> when you connect them together what do you actually see ? Does the other Pandora appear in the file manager, or do you need to interact with the terminal as the only tool ?
Can't tell as I don't have two, just an assumption on my side. But two possibilities occur to me right now.

- Put the one that "got" the USB-B Plug in it into mass storage mode - in theory the other Pandora should signal the connection of a mass storage device

- try to establish a "Network over USB" connection between them

you know, i might be a bit off here, but how about inserting your pandora SD into the other pandora? heh? bet you didnt think of that

you know, i might be a bit off here, but how about inserting your pandora SD into the other pandora? heh? bet you didnt think of that

Actually I was not only thinking about pure file transfer - I was wondering if such USB-USB connection could be used as a kind of serial connection to exchange data when playing with someone else.

VPN over WLAN is the most stylish way : p

never tried to set up a VPN connection with my Pandora though

VPN over WLAN is the most stylish way : p

never tried to set up a VPN connection with my Pandora though

Wouldn't even need to set up a VPN, just setup one Pandora as a wireless Ad-hoc network and have the other connect to it. without DHCP you would still need to manually assign IP addresses. But he seems to want a solution via USB.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pandora has both a host and client port. Just use a regular mini cable to connect them. File transfer is done exactly the same as on the PC, by setting your SD card to mass storage mode.

You can then also create a kernel module to handle serial communication between the two, with one acting as master and the other as slave.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for serial connection: you can do that by having two usb to serial converters ;)

The Pandora has both a host and client port. Just use a regular mini cable to connect them. File transfer is done exactly the same as on the PC, by setting your SD card to mass storage mode.

You can then also create a kernel module to handle serial communication between the two, with one acting as master and the other as slave.
In fact - you can set one of the partitions on a multi-partition card as the target for mass storage mode, connect a cable from your USB host port to the OTG port and see your own partition in mass storage mode over the USB cable. Why you would ever want to do this is a bit beyond me, but it should work just fine.

As for serial connection: you can do that by having two usb to serial converters ;)
If you're going that route you'll also need an RS232-C cable. A regular RS232 modem cable won't cut it - you need the cross over functionality for computer to computer communication.

What is the objective of this device to connection? Multi-player DOOM?

In fact - you can set one of the partitions on a multi-partition card as the target for mass storage mode, connect a cable from your USB host port to the OTG port and see your own partition in mass storage mode over the USB cable. Why you would ever want to do this is a bit beyond me, but it should work just fine.
Last I heard it was part of the setup and testing process to make sure the USB ports work. That's the only practical purpose I can think of :p

I just had a thought...

Put a USB to wired Ethernet adapter on each of the two Pandoras.

Connect a cross over cable between them (special type of patch cable).

That should give you bi-directional communications without having to use a hub.

You would likely need to hand-roll the configuration.

Back