Usb1.1 Device With 100Ma

zapman

Hi!

the aim of my errand is to use a USB1.1 GPS mouse with my Pandora without the use of an external hub.

Things I can tell for sure (because I tried them):

# The GPS mouse does not work when connected directly to the type A jack.
# The GPS mouse does not work when connected to the mini-B jack using an adapter.
# The GPS mouse does work when using a hub that is connected to the type A jack.

I guess the reason why the 2nd combination (adapter on mini-B jack) does not work is that the port does not provide 100mA (according to the data sheet of the GPS it needs 100mA).

So I thought: why not splice up the GPS's mouse cable and connect the white and green wire (data) to the mini-B jack and get power through the red and black cable from the big type A jack. That's exactly what I did and it turns out it doesn't work either ;(

Can anyone of you tell me if I'm doing something stupid and that's the reason why it won't work? Any suggestions? Should it work as I imagined?

PS: the mini-B plug that I use is from a data cable that came with my canon digi-cam. This cable cannot (could not) charge the pandoras battery. Maybe thats the reason why the GPS mouse does not work... but instead of cutting another cable I thought I might as well ask you guys first ;)

edit: typo in thread title; of course it should say 100mA ;)

You need miniA connector to plug into USB-OTG port. In this case (with miniA plugged into Pandora) will OTG port act as host instead as guest (with miniB plugged into OTG port).
edit: So what You need is "USB mini A male" to "standard USB A female" (or USB mini B male if You have USB mini B female in Your GPS mouse).

peca said:
You need miniA connector to plug into USB-OTG port. In this case (with miniA plugged into Pandora) will OTG port act as host instead as guest (with miniB plugged into OTG port).
edit: So what You need is "USB mini A male" to "standard USB A female" (or USB mini B male if You have USB mini B female in Your GPS mouse).

That's what I tried as 2nd option in my post. It doesn't work. I suppose because there is no 100mA on the mini-USB port of the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the first thing you did was plug into the USB host port, then the USB subsystem has crashed. It doesn't like USB1.1 devices at all. You need to restart before you can test it in the OTG port or with a hub.

yes, thanks. I tried that already, doesn't make any difference.

The question remains: is my approach of splicing up the USB GPS mouse reasonable?

You need an adapter that activates USB host(one of the contacts has to be grounded) and you have to plug it in twice, IIRC. Search notaz' posts for USB host.

mali said:
You need an adapter that activates USB host(one of the contacts has to be grounded) and you have to plug it in twice, IIRC. Search notaz' posts for USB host.

I assume you mean http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55900-pandora-exult-ultima-vii-game-engine-v14-for-pandora/page__view__findpost__p__909987 ? I'll try see if using another mini-usb plug will work; one that is capable of charging the pandora. If I understand correctly, powering the gps-mouse though mini-usb solely, should work!

Zapman: I'm not sure if You know about existence of two different mini USB plugs and correctly understand differences between them. On Pandora back side You have 4 sokets: Power, USB host 2.0 HS only, EXT port and USB-OTG (which is USB mini AB socket). So if You have plug USB 1.1 device and want it to plug to the Pandora, You need USB mini A plug, not USB mini B (which is used for charging). USB mini A and USB mini B plugs has different shape, but both can be plugged into USB mini AB socket. If You use USB mini A then Pandora expects that You plugged USB slave device and act as host (and powering this device). If You use USB mini B, then Pandora expects to be plugged to an other host (ie desktop PC) and act as slave device (ie card reader).

BUT USB mini A must be properly configured. There are 5 pins and one of them must be shorted with another one (or connected by some resistor). I'm don't know details from my head, but something will be discussed here on forum already and something should be on Pandora's wiki :)

edit: http://pandorawiki.org/USB_reference#OTG_host_mode

thx peca, I guess I really didn't realize the exact difference of mini A and B plugs.

I just ordered a mini-A (male) to usb A (female) adapter for my usb mouse.. the one I bought before seems to be mini-B and doesn't work with any mouse...

As for the GPS-mouse: I'll see if I find an old mini-A cable and will solder this one on the gps. Hopefully that'll work..

zapman said:
thx peca, I guess I really didn't realize the exact difference of mini A and B plugs.

I just ordered a mini-A (male) to usb A (female) adapter for my usb mouse.. the one I bought before seems to be mini-B and doesn't work with any mouse...

As for the GPS-mouse: I'll see if I find an old mini-A cable and will solder this one on the gps. Hopefully that'll work..
:)
I looking for some mini A male to standard A female (or mini B male) cable and can't find any. But according this page http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/hardware/USB_Mini/ it seems that You can use even USB mini B plug with shortened pin 4 with pin 5. It seems that mini A and mini B has only physical difference and function is derived only by keep open, direct connecting (or connecting trough resistor with concrete value) pin 4 to 5

I'll probably buy connector kit an build cable myself. According to proverb - "When you have done it properly, you have to do it yourself." - there is no other way anyway. :)

Back