Use The Pandora As A Xbox 360 Controller And Vice Versa.

Both would depend on hardware to communicate with the 360 which uses a non standard radio protocol to communicate.

Wired 360 Controllers on the Pandora? It absolutely could be done, just needs a few basic joystick drivers for direct input. X-input (that allows you to use the triggers as individual axes rather than being the same one) might need a little more coding; I'm not sure. As far as using the Pandora as a Xbox 360 Controller, Good luck. I know that they put special "key" chip in the controllers so that 3rd party controllers would have to be certified by Microsoft. I don't know if someone has or can duplicate/work around/emulate that chip but if so, then it could be possible.

Why would you want to use it as a 360 controller anyway? Console controllers are almost always more comfortable than boxy handhelds. Plus the Pandora's joystick throw is much shorter than a 360's, that might cause some problems.

Volvagia said:
Wired 360 Controllers on the Pandora? It absolutely could be done, just needs a few basic joystick drivers for direct input. X-input (that allows you to use the triggers as individual axes rather than being the same one) might need a little more coding; I'm not sure. As far as using the Pandora as a Xbox 360 Controller, Good luck. I know that they put special "key" chip in the controllers so that 3rd party controllers would have to be certified by Microsoft. I don't know if someone has or can duplicate/work around/emulate that chip but if so, then it could be possible.

Why would you want to use it as a 360 controller anyway? Console controllers are almost always more comfortable than boxy handhelds. Plus the Pandora's joystick throw is much shorter than a 360's, that might cause some problems.
Someone brought in a 360 to work and it ran across my mind "hey wouldn't it be great if I could jump in and..."
And since the Pandora has bluetooth people could jump in a multiplayer game with a 360 controller without worrying about plugging it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
ninjaturtle said:
Someone brought in a 360 to work and it ran across my mind "hey wouldn't it be great if I could jump in and..."
And since the Pandora has bluetooth people could jump in a multiplayer game with a 360 controller without worrying about plugging it in.
I didnt think wireless 360 controllers used bluetooth, please correct me

etchasketch said:
You are correct. Xbox 360 controllers communicate with a proprietary RF protocol. You would need a USB dongle and special drivers to make the Pandora communicate with an Xbox or an Xbox wireless controller. Considering the lack of appropriate buttons, it's a waste of effort in either direction.

Volvagia said:
I was thinking the same thing. Extra wear and tear on the Pandora? Why? I'd rather use the console's controller every time.

Are there already good "Pandora Prooved" Controlers out there? :)
I plan to buy a new Gamepad for my PC at all and of course I want to choose a model that works perfectly onto the Pandora for the TV-Pandore-Console-Fun. :)

slaanesh said:
Volvagia said:
I was thinking the same thing. Extra wear and tear on the Pandora? Why? I'd rather use the console's controller every time.
About the only case I can see is the XBox 360 d-pad is just plain awful, but I would rather find something other than the Pandora if I was to look for a different controller.

Yup. Dedicated controller is the way to go. My Pandora wouldn't hold up to being thrown across the room when I get my ass kicked in COD4.

mcqfesijiba2 said:
slaanesh said:
Volvagia said:
About the only case I can see is the XBox 360 d-pad is just plain awful, but I would rather find something other than the Pandora if I was to look for a different controller.

Share the same thought.

I was quite sure that my xbox driver worked for the xbox 360 controller too.. (Its some time ago but I think I had it working with both, xbox and xbox 360)
I used the wireless docu for my usb based driver but you could always use that offical wireless receiver with selfmade drivers - which shouldn't be too hard:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox3...ver/default.htm
The PS3 controller is far more interesting for me tho because it has sixaxis which I would love to have while beeing mobile =)

//Edit: http://wiki.free60.org/Gamepad might have to check the cached version, but I still remember another page having more information. Using the pandora as 360 controller seems impossible anyway.

If you got the pandora to emulate an xbox 360 controller, and ported 360 controller driver to the pandora, then you could use a secondary pandora as a controller for a pandora :p

I think the Wii and PS3 controllers are both Bluetooth, and I've seen Wiimotes used on Linux systems as input devices. So, I guess it's possible, but it's probably been discussed already. And personally, I don't care if the Pandora interacts with anything other than my computer anyway.

Now that I mention it, the Pandora would be great as a remote control for something like a media center PC. At the very least you could use the Wi-Fi to control it over ssh.

fusion_power said:
Are there already good "Pandora Prooved" Controlers out there? :)
I plan to buy a new Gamepad for my PC at all and of course I want to choose a model that works perfectly onto the Pandora for the TV-Pandore-Console-Fun. :)
I would imagine that any USB HID class gamepad would work fine (this should also apply to console-controller-to-USB adapters that make the controllers function as USB HID joypads). :)

So if the 360 gamepad won't work (wirelessly) then what is a good alternative for controlling your Pandora with a wireless gamepad? The PS3 gamepads are hideously expensive, and wiimotes don't qualify as proper gamepads in my book.

All the other bluetooth controllers I saw when I looked for it a while back where this flimsy fold out things meant to be used with cellphones, PDAs and the like.

Would those gamepads with wireless USB dongle receiver thingies work though? I'm not quite sure how this stuff works, wouldn't there need to be specific drivers for these for linux?

Well dam that sucks, for some reason I thought it was bluetooth.

Yup. Dedicated controller is the way to go. My Pandora wouldn't hold up to being thrown across the room when I get my ass kicked in COD4.

I remember my old 8-bit NES, those were built like a brick. :)

Back