User Accounts On The Pandora

Megatog615

Since the Pandora has wireless capabilities(and with it comes all the fun networking stuff with Linux), I was wondering if the user account you use on the Pandora is simply the root account, like the GP2X was. This obviously isn't a problem on the GP2X as you need physical access to the unit to gain root privileges. This is a problem on the Pandora though as you now have a keyboard and basically have much more access to the system because of this(terminal emulator). I don't want to be running as root on any UNIX or Linux system at any time for any reason unless I absolutely have to.
Will there be a regular user along with the root account? Will there be sudo for the regular user account?
Is the firmware on the NAND going to be mounted read-only for safety(with the ability to mount read+write for adventurous users)?

I hated sudo at first, but got very much used to it. And it helps very much to keep windows-users from switching to root as their standard-account. One can anytime create a root-account and use it to administrate, but it's really a very bad idea to do anything else as root.

This thread might be of interest as root privileges were discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back