Using Div2 To Make Fpg

ruckage

Certified Guru
Hi all, just thought I'd share this incase anyone else finds it useful. If you've read my previous topic you'll know that I had trouble with FPGedit remapping the colours of 8bit images. Well on the off chance I decided to dig out my old copy of DIV 2 and just see if it worked at all with DOSbox and it did :). I'm sure the software isn't fully functional but the FPG and map tools work great and are perfect for 8bit graphics as it's the only mode it works in.

Never had much problems making 8bit fpgs, I just converted them to 16bit before adding pics with new colors and then back to 8... or isnt that the problem you mean?

EDIT: Ah, just read the other topic.

ruckage posted on Dec 5 2006 at 12:27 PM said:
Hi all, just thought I'd share this incase anyone else finds it useful. If you've read my previous topic you'll know that I had trouble with FPGedit remapping the colours of 8bit images. Well on the off chance I decided to dig out my old copy of DIV 2 and just see if it worked at all with DOSbox and it did :). I'm sure the software isn't fully functional but the FPG and map tools work great and are perfect for 8bit graphics as it's the only mode it works in.

I've had the same issues you did with fpgedit and working with 8-bit graphics. I just use the method that quiest describes, but with mixed results. If I could get ahold of a copy of DIV2, I'd probably just use those tools as you suggested. Guess I'll look around for a copy of it... shouldn't cost too much these days...

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't really matter if you use a slight off-black for black, which isn't even noticable anyway.

Goity posted on Dec 8 2006 at 08:55 PM said:
It doesn't really matter if you use a slight off-black for black, which isn't even noticable anyway.
That's not the problem though. The problem is FPGedit remaps all of the colours so if you carefully designed images to use colour cycling or other palette manipulation effects it messes it up (trust me I've tested it). With DIV2 it doesn't mess with your colours (unless you tell it to)

ruckage posted on Dec 8 2006 at 10:03 PM said:
Goity posted on Dec 8 2006 at 08:55 PM said:
That's not the problem though. The problem is FPGedit remaps all of the colours so if you carefully designed images to use colour cycling or other palette manipulation effects it messes it up (trust me I've tested it). With DIV2 it doesn't mess with your colours (unless you tell it to)
I see what you mean with your problem, but for anything else it's pretty much pointless.

Back