Using external device as monitor for pyra.

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
I was thinking that for true productivity, when on the go, it could be handy to avail of a larger screen. You could use a tablet as a monitor or even a laptop.

Software exists on other formats that does this http://www.avatron.com/apps/air-display/

It may just require software to do this, if we had such software.

The Pyra will likely have a digital video output such as e.g. HDMI. If you can find a tablet or laptop with HDMI in you should be set.

Then again, if you have a laptop why would you bother using the Pyra for productivity?

The Pyra will likely have a digital video output such as e.g. HDMI. If you can find a tablet or laptop with HDMI in you should be set.Then again, if you have a laptop why would you bother using the Pyra for productivity?
He can get a Motorola Lapdock off ebay prrtty cheap. They act as self-powered portable hdmi monitors.

The Pyra will likely have a digital video output such as e.g. HDMI. If you can find a tablet or laptop with HDMI in you should be set.

Then again, if you have a laptop why would you bother using the Pyra for productivity?
 Well even a 7 inch tablet could act as a larger screen. It would be nice as an option is all.

SHAZAM!

nuGRb.jpg

Just use a lens/magnifier like we did in the old days. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The pandora as it stands is not practical for true productivity.

The keyboard is too small.

Id like to see more thought given in design so that the pyra can be a truly useful and productive tool.

I was thinking that for true productivity, when on the go, it could be handy to avail of a larger screen. You could use a tablet as a monitor or even a laptop.

Software exists on other formats that does this http://www.avatron.com/apps/air-display/

It may just require software to do this, if we had such software.
I don't think making software requests makes much sense here. As far as I know the Pyra team will only provide the basic system (like it was/is with the Pandora) leaving the rest to the community.

to me it would be more interesting to use an old thinkpad, remove the mainboard an use the case as a dock with extra battery.

The pour Thinkpad...

But yes, I like the idea, provided that the trackpoint would be used ;)

Also if the pyra even just has USB 3.0, there exist USB 3.0 > DVI adaptors that are supposed to be pretty useful, they'd require drivers, but i doubt they're too crazy.

Heh, productivity is a subjective term.  I am more productive with my Pandora's 4.3" screen on the bus than my boss with his 43" monitor on his desk :D

Also if the pyra even just has USB 3.0, there exist USB 3.0 > DVI adaptors that are supposed to be pretty useful, they'd require drivers, but i doubt they're too crazy.
It's display Link as I mentioned in the post above.

that screen simply has it built in.

Also it's possible with Pandora already as the Drivers are included in the firmware.

I use a DisplayLink adapter.

No need for USB 3.0.

DisplayLink is fine for low-bandwidth stuff like slides, pictures, web browsing, office stuff, puzzle games. It's not fast enough for movies or fast-paced games.

I think the Pyra needs either HDMI or DisplayPort output directly, not through (active) adapters. Doing it over USB 3.0 is probably rather CPU-intensive, and you may want to have the USB ports available for other things (e.g. external storage with movies you want to view using the Pyra).

I also don't really like the USB idea, but it reminds me to the plugin I've got for my Sony PSP. I can connect it to my PC via USB to grab the video signal. This doesn't even take performance.

DisplayLink is fine for low-bandwidth stuff like slides, pictures, web browsing, office stuff, puzzle games. It's not fast enough for movies or fast-paced games.

I think the Pyra needs either HDMI or DisplayPort output directly, not through (active) adapters. Doing it over USB 3.0 is probably rather CPU-intensive, and you may want to have the USB ports available for other things (e.g. external storage with movies you want to view using the Pyra).
I know.

But if one needs a bigger screen for office work I like the Display Link screen.

Back