Using Pandora batteries in the Pyra

Grench

Forum Addict!
My understanding is that the Pyra will be able to use the smaller Pandora batteries if an adapter/spacer is used. I don't recall seeing those on the list of things in the case moulds. Will these spacers be offered or should we count on needing to fashion our own?

I ask because I now have 4 brand new Pandora batteries. If the spacers are going to be an actual produced thing - great! If not, OK.

Long story short I needed one to test whether or not a system board I have was working properly and shipping 4 is the same as shipping 1 battery from Germany - and the Pandora batteries were on sale. I have a Pandora that only works on AC (which is fine - longer story). So, I now have 4 Pandora batteries in Nebraska that won't have a purpose other than as secondary batteries for a Pyra that I hope to see someday. They're a bit prohibitive to ship inside the US too, so unless someone in the Eastern end of Omaha wants to meet up and buy me lunch in exchange for one, I'm kind of stuck with them. Yeah, that's the short version.

So... will there be Pandora battery spacers for the Pyra?

Even the Pandora battery needs spacers to work reliably in my Pandora. IIRC ED did propose selling adaptors, but I'd imagine that's something that's lower priority than a lot of things, so many not happen in your sort of timescales.

If nothing else I'm offering to 3D print something for you. Should be really simple, just need the measurements.

Not doing a mold for those (that would be around 6000 EUR, and I doubt there is THAT high of demand), but 3D data shouldn't be a problem.

Thinking it through... With proper measurements to work from, and it's essentially a block/pad... I have a scroll saw with a fence. I'm betting I can make one out of pine or even balsa wood.

Yup. Like 4 pads of about 1mm thick (one might need near 2mn) but that's it.
See for yourself :
IMG_20171118_005712.jpg
And the other way xD
IMG_20171118_005926.jpg
Notice that the pyra's batterie is a bit wider, longer and thicker (all 3 dimensions increased)

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_005326.jpg
    IMG_20171118_005326.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 208
Yup. Like 4 pads of about 1mm thick (one might need near 2mn) but that's it.
Ah, so printing it to thick paper/thin cardboard, some folding and a pair of scissors should to the trick

Notice that the pyra's battery is a bit wider, longer and thicker (all 3 dimensions increased)
Well.. that settles it then. EL pyra and not LA pyra. Now, I'm off to read self-help-restore-confidence books while listening to Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.

I'm pretty sure some of the folded pads of paper in my Pandora holding the battery in place are over 1mm thick. Not that I've measured any of them; I'm just happy it doesn't reboot when I've got it in a bag on my shoulder.

Back