Vektar Froze

virusx

Virus Infected Person
Website
www.budburnerz.com
I'm addicted since two days to Vektar. This game is really simple and nice looking.
But...
My Gp2X froze when I was about to reach 250 000 points.
That's about a bit more than 30 minutes of ingame play.
The music was still playing.

I did not overvlocked my gp2x this time.
And I run 1.4.0 firmware now.

Anyone experienced this ?
frozenx.jpg

virusx posted on Feb 28 2006 at 02:19 PM said:
I'm addicted since two days to Vektar. This game is really simple and nice looking.
But...
My Gp2X froze when I was about to reach 250 000 points.
That's about a bit more than 30 minutes of ingame play.
The music was still playing.
Thanks for this report. I have seen one other report of this behavior occurring although I have never seen it myself. I am working on Vektar 1.0 and will attempt to figure out what the cause of this could be. Once version 1.0 is out (not promising any dates but probably mid-march), please let me know if the behavior occurs again.

One thing for sure, if you get 250,000 points and have more than 40 ships available, the game is way too easy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My gp2x also froze when playing vektar, but it was at about 148,000 points. I had 7 greens ships and 1 yellow ship.

EDIT: It wasn't the batteries, I was using newly charged 2500's and the screen didn't fade, it just froze there, and the music continued to play.

Mine froze as well on Sunday, but I still think it was the batteries (it did the funky noise and screen fade). I just pulled 'em out and didn't check to see if they were actually depleted, although I didn't think I had been using them that long at the time (of course, with a good game, there iss that whole time distorting thing). I will make it a point to confirm if it happens again.

Anyway, I LOVE this game. Can't wait for 1.0

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but if there are weapon upgrades (either by picking up an item or reaching a certain score) in the next release, I will be in paradise!

Dzz posted on Feb 28 2006 at 09:18 PM said:
One thing for sure, if you get 250,000 points and have more than 40 ships available, the game is way too easy! :)

It's the ship we earned on the begining that makes the game too easy I think.
Not the first time but when you play it a lot and have special technics :p
And perhaps another enemy (I don't know if the triangle is the last one or not).

Some weapon upgrades could be nice too but you will have to add again more "intelligent" enemies.

There's a lot of good games on this 2006 compo contest, but yours is my favorite.
I'll tell you if the freeze bug happen again.

And the answer is : Yes, it has frozen again.
At about a bit more than half an hour of game.
Same amount of ships, music still playing but screen is frozen.
Strange bug !

For the number of ships, if you could do an "hard" mode, with a max of 3 ships for exemple, that will do the job easily.
And you could do something to prevent gamer from "hidding" himself in the corners (like I do <_< )
This way, the game will be harder.

vektar2.jpg

STILL ADDICTED

Again, thanks for the report; please check the next release version and let me know if it happens in that version. I have been sidetracked working on the audio for the last week because I'm switching internally to ogg format and that's taking me a while to work through. So it'll be a little while yet, but I have implemented some of the new stuff that I have planned.

Regarding sitting in the corners, that tactic will not be as profitable. :)

I'll be releasing a version 0.9 that is feature complete but isn't quite 1.0 because I want to try for more bug hunting and make sure that the gameplay is more balanced.

No matter what you used before, congrats on switching to .ogg :) !!
I couldn't try out your game yet because I am waiting for a audiobug-free firmware or at least the next fastboot-release ;D.
But it surely looks amazing!!

Thanks. I think the competition version works fine on 1.2.1 and 1.4.0 firmwares but I haven't tried any others.

I was using WAV before because it was easy, but now I'm adding a little more music and the file gets too big.

Dzz posted on Mar 2 2006 at 11:36 PM said:
Regarding sitting in the corners, that tactic will not be as profitable. :)

I'll be releasing a version 0.9 that is feature complete but isn't quite 1.0 because I want to try for more bug hunting and make sure that the gameplay is more balanced.

I just can't wait to try this new version !
Thanks a lot for this awsome game.

I also like Spout, and I was thinking that it will be great with your type of colorfull grfx.
... ColorSpout :)

I played for the first time last night and it froze in the first game I played after less than 5 minutes; music was still playing, screen still live, just nothing moving and no button response at all. Was not the batteries, rebooted and played for maybe 10 minutes before I had to go do something else.
I have FW 1.4

thelamer posted on Mar 3 2006 at 05:13 PM said:
I believe that the propulsion should be the left trigger and not up .

With how the stick works you want to make turning as easy as possible .
I would entertain the following idea: If you are pressing the left trigger when you start the game, it invokes the control mechanism you describe. In that case, what would up and down on the joystick do? Also, right now, down on the joystick is a brake. What would trigger the brake in this alternate scheme?

Furthermore, would it be better in this alternate scheme to treat the diagonals (like up-left) as a half-speed turn or just lump all left-like movements together as left?

I'll let other people share their opinions on controls, but so far as music: you could let us ass our own under a standard name so the game recognizes it, It would probably have to be .ogg cuz that's wat the game uses(?), and would have to be named "music" or whatever you set the default file name to be. Just an idea.

Brilliant-looking game though!

K0K0NUT_h3lmut posted on Mar 3 2006 at 07:50 PM said:
I'll let other people share their opinions on controls, but so far as music: you could let us ass our own under a standard name so the game recognizes it, It would probably have to be .ogg cuz that's wat the game uses(?), and would have to be named "music" or whatever you set the default file name to be. Just an idea.

Brilliant-looking game though!
Thanks for the suggestion. Various tedious technical issues will make your request actually be rather difficult for me and it won't be in this next release, though I'll consider it for the future. There will be a little bit more music though, and when you get sick of it, you'll be able to use the 'select' button to shut off the music.

Dzz posted on Mar 3 2006 at 10:35 PM said:
thelamer posted on Mar 3 2006 at 05:13 PM said:
I believe that the propulsion should be the left trigger and not up .

With how the stick works you want to make turning as easy as possible .
I would entertain the following idea: If you are pressing the left trigger when you start the game, it invokes the control mechanism you describe. In that case, what would up and down on the joystick do? Also, right now, down on the joystick is a brake. What would trigger the brake in this alternate scheme?

Furthermore, would it be better in this alternate scheme to treat the diagonals (like up-left) as a half-speed turn or just lump all left-like movements together as left?

You could use my "case 2" bias for the joystick as it is too easy to hit a diagonal.

You could also make the controls configurable. You don't need a fancy GUI to do it just a txt file that you could edit would be fine. I would like more "asteroids" type controls that used buttons for thrust.

Back