Very Cheap Sd Cards

There are lots of posts from people saying that Viking (Toshiba) cards didn't work on 1.2.0 so they brought out 1.2.1 which corrected this. People who then upgrade to 1.4 say that these SD cards no longer work again.

You really should stick to tried and tested ones - like SanDisk. Search the forums for more details if you need them.

bacteria posted on Mar 22 2006 at 08:19 AM said:
There are lots of posts from people saying that Viking (Toshiba) cards didn't work on 1.2.0 so they brought out 1.2.1 which corrected this. People who then upgrade to 1.4 say that these SD cards no longer work again.

You really should stick to tried and tested ones - like SanDisk. Search the forums for more details if you need them.

Ah bugger! Just bought a Viking card from eBuyer. Was sure there was a post saying that some guy had 4 and they all worked, but one didn't for flashing firmware. Didn't think the compatibility would get worse with an updated firmware!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be more concerned with the file system on the card than the brand. But Its my feeling that it is 99% likely that those Vicking cards are absolutely fine on the GP2X. If you run into trouble, check the file system and format accordingly. Chances of it not working are so slim I wouldn't worry.

No probs - just wanted to make people aware that other users had poor experiences with Viking. GamePark themselves knew of such a problem, as users who updated their GP2x to 1.2.0 could no longer use these SD cards - hence 1.2.1.

Another issue (only came to light fairly recently) is that if your SD card reads/writes slowly, your GP2x will pause for a fraction of a second during gameplay, which is a little offputting. A fast SD card resolves this.

Another point - everyone says to format the SD card to FAT32. I tried this, and Windows XP got confused half way through a write, and bricked the SD card. I formatted my other cards to FAT and I have had no issues at all with Windows XP or with the GP2x for that matter. FAT seems the way forward! (Only thing with FAT is it can only format up to 2gig (if I remember from the days of Windows 95) - mind you, there is little sense getting larger SD cards as they can be bricked, and bricking a 4gig card would be distressing!!

Viking cards are just surplus cards from other brands - mine was a Toshiba 1GB, which I found out after pulling off the sticker.

nickspoon posted on Mar 22 2006 at 06:45 PM said:
Viking cards are just surplus cards from other brands - mine was a Toshiba 1GB, which I found out after pulling off the sticker.

also, they work for flashing, normal use, etc. except in games you get a slight pause every so often, but that doesn't bother me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back