Vice

jabz

I'm trying to play SpyHunter.d64 image via Vice, when the game loads it mentions the keys are I =up, J=left, K=down, L=right. A=fire. Was wondering how I can change these to use the DPad for directions and buttons for Fire and special weapons?

VICE's menu system (brought up by pressing Start, if my memory serves me correctly) has a section where you can set up your own key/button mappings. I haven't used it in a while, so I can't remember right off the bat where precisely this is, but it is there (it may be in the peripheral settings somewhere, at a guess). Just remember to save the configuration before using it, to avoid having to repeat this the next time.

Ok thanks, got it. Now I just gotta figure out how to map buttons for the special weapons like oil slick etc.. as the define keysets option only maps directional and 1 fire button.

Having some trouble with other games in Vice with game controls. Do games only work with the Joystick ports set to "Keyset 1" or 2?

If I select "Joystick device in port 1--> Joystick" should the Dpad and buttons work in a game?

I do this by pressing "Start" to bring up the vice menu and choose "Machine settings", "joystick settings"

For example no matter what combination I select I cannot move in Giana Sisters. Do I have to select a control method within the games or are they auto detect?

Same for Infiltrator II cant find a combination that works.

For Spy Hunter, I had to Define the keyset, Up,dwn,left,right with the d-pad, and fire as button A. Then I select Joy when starting the game.

When I load this Keymap from Settings management it doesn't work for other games as above.

I don't have the same control issues with UAE4ALL the games just work fine with the Dpad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

I have installed vice 3.2 on my openpandora 1Ghz. My main activity on Vice is to write BASIC program. One of the editing tools available on C64 is movi,g the cursor around to make correction in the program listing. Unfortunatelly, so far I have not find the key combination to march the arrow keys on the C64. The d-pad is not responding in terminal mode.

Hope so can help.

François

Hello again

I found another annoying issue.
According to the screenshot in the preview pics found here, the mapping should be {FN / N}.
Unfortunatelly, this is not the case, neither for x64 nor x128.
Under x64, {SHIFT / 4} does the job.

But under x128, no key is mapped with the $ character.

This is very annoying as the $ in BASIC identifies string variables and is used continually.

Any clue on how to adapt the keyboard mapping?

Thank you.

François

I don't know man, for me it just works with the dpad. You're right about the $ though, it's on shift 4 like expected as it's there on a real C64 too.

@geocaching
[doublepost=1546786814,1546786148][/doublepost]I just found the keyboard mapping file for you. Once the pnd is mounted it's /mnt/pnd/vice-sdl2-svn/lib/vice/C128/sdl_pos.vkm

@Eight Bit
d-pad is working fine under x128, but is not working not under x64.
Which version of Vice are you running? Mine is VICE 3.2 SDL2.

So far, I have been unable to find the sdl_pos.vkm you mentioned. Is there something special to "mount" a PND?

Thank you.

François

@Eight Bit
d-pad is working fine under x128, but is not working not under x64.
Which version of Vice are you running? Mine is VICE 3.2 SDL2.

So far, I have been unable to find the sdl_pos.vkm you mentioned. Is there something special to "mount" a PND?

Thank you.

François

Yes, I use 3.2 SDL2.
As you can see in the quick youtube video, for me the cursor works just fine with the dpad.
About the mounting, you can just start the pnd to mount it and open terminal to navigate to said location.
If you do not wish to start it, here's some more info on how to mount without starting

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/how-to-mount-a-pnd-and-see-the-gooey-bits-inside.55321/

@Eight Bit
Thank you.
I have successfully mounted the vice pnd... But I am unable to figure out what to do to have the $ sign available under x128... This is probably the biggest issue to program in BASIC.
For the dpad under x64... no clue neither... but if at least I could get the $ sign working on x128, I would be very happy :/

Thank you!

François

Hello

Is there anybody who could explain me how to get the $ signed map on the keyboard with x128?

Thank you.

Francois

Back