Vista (remote Desktop)

I didn't take a closer look because i don't feel like filling out that silly form, but i don't really see a real use for it.

Yes, it probably works, but the resolution of the Pandora makes it extremely annoying, if not impossible, to use.

It will not work on Pandora as it says it actually requires "MSIE" if you try and do a test drive (kinda typical for MS really...)

The fun part is when it says "Windows Vista Test Drive.... Service Pack 1"

MS sure do like there service packs :D

arent there open-source progs for remote-connection to a vista or xp computer that would run on pandora?

that way u could actually use window-apps u dont have on linux, by connecting to ur home computer

Crasherball said:
arent there open-source progs for remote-connection to a vista or xp computer that would run on pandora?

that way u could actually use window-apps u dont have on linux, by connecting to ur home computer
Yeah that should work with a VNC server on the windows box and a client on the pandora (i read somewhere on the forum, can't find it though). Ofc. like any other program, somebody has to port/create a client.

But i think this is a program loads of ppl will want, so it will probably not take too long before someone does.

If there are other/better ways: tell me! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried this thing in regretted IE, and it is purposeless! It doesn't even act like a virtual PC it is just a promotional

http://www.rdesktop.org/

Rdesktop works with Windows' remote desktop (controlling a Windows box remotely from a linux host). It's GPL, so it would just be a matter of porting it for ARM or cross-compiling. This may have already been done. Search the angstrom or debian-armel repositories to see.

For linux remote connections (controlling a linux box remotely from linux), ssh or vnc will be the way to go. Both should be fairly trivial to get running on the Pandora.

_Sterling said:
http://www.rdesktop.org/

Rdesktop works with Windows' remote desktop (controlling a Windows box remotely from a linux host). It's GPL, so it would just be a matter of porting it for ARM or cross-compiling. This may have already been done. Search the angstrom or debian-armel repositories to see.

WOW :blink: If that would get ported... Thats the one thing i thought would not be possible because of the integration with windows.

Someone know if i could actually remotely log onto our company's servers remote desktop through our internal network? That works with the standard remote desktop client that comes with windows

MarkoeZ said:
Someone know if i could actually remotely log onto our company's servers remote desktop through our internal network? That works with the standard remote desktop client that comes with windows
It should work just fine. Rdesktop is a client that uses Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) to connects the same way Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client (RDC) does. It connects on port 3389, but if you're already on the corporate network, you won't have to worry about proxies or firewalls causing a problem.

EDIT: Port 3389 by default, but it can be configured to use other ports. Also, Rdesktop requires an X server, which may make it a bit more difficult to run on the Pandora - the default Angstrom-based OS may not run X by default, but you should be able to boot another distro from an SD card. There's already video of Ubuntu running X on dev board. And of course, all of this requires a port or cross-compile of rdesktop for ARM.

_Sterling said:
MarkoeZ said:
It should work just fine. Rdesktop is a client that uses Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) to connects the same way Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client (RDC) does. It connects on port 3389, but if you're already on the corporate network, you won't have to worry about proxies or firewalls causing a problem.

Thanks, i just found it on the site. YEAH!!! B) instant file access anywhere. This would remove any doubt, if there was any left ofcourse.

_Sterling said:
MarkoeZ said:

EDIT: Port 3389 by default, but it can be configured to use other ports. Also, Rdesktop requires an X server, which may make it a bit more difficult to run on the Pandora - the default Angstrom-based OS may not run X by default, but you should be able to boot another distro from an SD card. There's already video of Ubuntu running X on dev board. And of course, all of this requires a port or cross-compile of rdesktop for ARM.

I use Rdesktop on my n800 so I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult for someone to get it working on pandora

edit: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/4....r/rdesktop-cli/ pretty sure the source is right here too.

Pretty simple stuff.. I did this stuff back when I first started using Linux :lol: Although it was with an app that came with Ubuntu back in the day I think... could use Windows Media Player, and everything else...

dark9771 said:
well i was i was locking around i found this B)
https://www.windowsvistatestdrive.com/mm/De...7E6SxD&rs=0 (hit test drive)

its a free trial of vista(its somthing like remote desktop :rolleyes: )

i was wondering

1.does active x work on linux(coudnt find a good answer,and please dont flame me <_< )

2.and could it work on the :pandora1:

1. ActiveX does not work on Linux

2. The ActiveX control most likely is just a remote desktop client, so if you sniff the address it connects to on your PC you could use rdesktop on the Pandora to connect.

is everyone done pointing out the obvious with ActiveX?

Back on topic, I would rather just use a VNC client to remotely control my computer, VNC can be ran on almost anything(including the PSP).

This is the main thing I had in mind when laying down £££
Surfing and downloading files onto my main machine while wandering round the house :)

And I think it could be the :pandora1: killer app

I'm so happy it's not only possible, but also very probable

gp32rich said:
This is the main thing I had in mind when laying down £££
Surfing and downloading files onto my main machine while wandering round the house :)

And I think it could be the :pandora1: killer app

I'm so happy it's not only possible, but also very probable
100% happening. There is an Rdesktop client in the Angstrom repos already.

Just to through in my two cents worth.

Rdesktop works wonderfully when connecting to my servers at work. I use my n800 for just that purpose. As for wandering around the house using the internet and stuff. Why not just use the browser that comes on the Pandora? Oh and be aware that you only have two sessions available on a standard MS Windows setup. And if you are using RDesktop on the Pandora then the computer is locked. So be aware that you cannot "Share" the windows computer when using RDesktop. (Again on a standard Windows Setup)

Oh and +1 on making sure it runs on the pandora.

Aimless_E said:
Just to through in my two cents worth.

Rdesktop works wonderfully when connecting to my servers at work. I use my n800 for just that purpose. As for wandering around the house using the internet and stuff. Why not just use the browser that comes on the Pandora? Oh and be aware that you only have two sessions available on a standard MS Windows setup. And if you are using RDesktop on the Pandora then the computer is locked. So be aware that you cannot "Share" the windows computer when using RDesktop. (Again on a standard Windows Setup)

Oh and +1 on making sure it runs on the pandora.
There is a simple hack for Windows XP SP2 to get unlimited licenses. Just use google. :)

And I too wanted rdesktop on my Pandora, but I wan't afraid that it will happen :)

To those talking bout VNC. VNC runs on everything, sure. However, it is a CPU hog. AFAIK (some years ago) it just simply sends a copy of the desktop over the network (without packing anything). I have no clue about RDP, however, it works really fast.
For those not too familiar with Rdesktop, try googling "seamless rdesktop" thats the uber shit. you can have the aplications windows from Windows AND linux side by side. That is, the window manager on the Pandora handles the WinXP windows aswell. :eek:

Back