Visual pinball went opensource.

Foxgod

Hola,

I was wondering if the Pandora could pull it off to run visual Pinball:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vpinball/

This project went open source, and yes, newer tables require roms, but the older pinball tables (before 1992?) and the custom made tables do not require roms, so there should still be plenty of pinball tables to play if this program where to be ported to the Pandora.

What are youre thoughts?

Would this run without Pinmame on a system like the Pandora?

From a quick read through of the wikipedia page it seems to be based on Microsoft specific libraries which I doubt you'd find for Linux, so without a major rewrite it's not going to happen.

That's not to say it can't happen if someone puts in a lot of effort, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hola,

I was wondering if the Pandora could pull it off to run visual Pinball:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vpinball/

This project went open source, and yes, newer tables require roms, but the older pinball tables (before 1992?) and the custom made tables do not require roms, so there should still be plenty of pinball tables to play if this program where to be ported to the Pandora.

What are youre thoughts?

Would this run without Pinmame on a system like the Pandora?
I doubt it. Unless Destruk and team changed it, it will still require Visual Basic runtime as well as pinmame to run. Still, I would LOVE this if it could work.

I'm a pretty heavy user of Visual Pinball, so it would be a dream come true for me & most definately a killer app for the Pandora.

However as already mentioned it is dependant on rather specific libraries, and would most probably require some hugely intensive optimisation/code rewriting & even then i doubt you would get anything like a playable (speed wise) build, i know we have some phenomenallly talented coders in the Pandora scene, but i'm pretty sure this would be mission impossible.. would be overjoyed to be proved wrong though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pinball is my secret love so I'm always for a decent Pinball Game on Pandora. :) At the Moment I only have "Psycho Pinball", which is already pretty good.

Fusion_Power: I guess you play Psycho Pinball within a DOS emulator. Or is their a PND port of it? And if, where?

Pinball is my secret love so I'm always for a decent Pinball Game on Pandora. :) At the Moment I only have "Psycho Pinball", which is already pretty good.
Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies for the Amiga were made legally freely available by their creators some time ago. You might want to look those up, too - check out Back to the Roots in the Legal Emulation Resources post.

Fusion_Power: I guess you play Psycho Pinball within a DOS emulator. Or is their a PND port of it? And if, where?
It was released for the Mega Drive - should work fine with PicoDrive. :p

I play the MegaDrive Version over PicoDrive. Psycho Pinball was AFAIK Multi Platform so there should be alot options to play this great game. :)

Pinball is my secret love so I'm always for a decent Pinball Game on Pandora. At the Moment I only have "Psycho Pinball", which is already pretty good.
Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies for the Amiga were made legally freely available by their creators some time ago. You might want to look those up, too - check out Back to the Roots in the Legal Emulation Resources post.
Lady, I'm 32 Years old. I played Pinball Dreams/Fantasies & Co. almost 20 Years ago, Iv'e grown up with these games, they were one of my first PC games, I already played them to death.

But thanks for the kind offer. :)

Pinball is my secret love ...

Good man, get yourself to Replay next year, they must have had about 50 tables, my crazy flipper fingers are still twitching :D

Really looking forward to seeing an A1200 emulator on Pandora running AGA Pinball fantasies.

^ But you said you only had Psycho Pinball! :lol:
I mean, I only have Psycho Pinball on the Pandora, no other Pinball game there, sadly. ^^"" I don't have a Amiga Emulator installed, otherwise I could play much more Pinball games. DosBox is an option but also pretty slow. I'm not sure what Nintendeo released of good Pinball Games for SNES & Co. Maybe there are more good Pinball games for Playstation but I don't have any.

Pinball is my secret love ...

Good man, get yourself to Replay next year, they must have had about 50 tables, my crazy flipper fingers are still twitching :D
I wish I could. :( But no money to travel to the Island.

But if I had the money I would BUY me a coll Pinball Machine instead. :D

Did they have KISS pinball??
I can recommend the "Tales From The Crypt" Pinball. B)

Back