Beta Vlc

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
Hi boys,

Before you jump on the download link : Warning large download : 45M

This come with most required libraries _and_ includes files, so if you want to build vlc yourself, you can take this as base :D
And command line freaks could enjoy ffmpeg ffplay binaries included.

In all my pnds, I set "export HOME=/mnt/utmp/$BASENAME" which help have binaries not writing on the NAND. But this come witha down-side : original $HOME/.gtk* $HOME/.qt* become unaccessible hence my program are always using toolkit default themes (which is ugly in both case).
Someone with a good idea here ?

Please test/report :)

cheers,
sebt3

static.gif
hooray for VLC

As I mentioned in the other thread in General talk I have tried this with a variety of media. Avi and mp3 stored on SD cards work fine (although crackly at the start?) but when I tried youtube no video and audio cuts out after 5 seconds or so.

Is there anything I can try to get it working?

pootle said:
As I mentioned in the other thread in General talk I have tried this with a variety of media. Avi and mp3 stored on SD cards work fine (although crackly at the start?) but when I tried youtube no video and audio cuts out after 5 seconds or so.

Is there anything I can try to get it working?
this may require webM which haven't made in

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold on! I have been trying other videos and while copy-pasting the address always downloads the biggest available resolution video, when you try a video with a smaller max. resolution, 480p in this case, you get a frozen picture too. Pausing to allow the file to buffer just results in a broken picture but it's definitely doing something.

It's so close to working, I'm just looking for videos with 360p maximum resolutions to try.

sebt3 said:
In all my pnds, I set "export HOME=/mnt/utmp/$BASENAME" which help have binaries not writing on the NAND.
I'm not sure you want to be hard-coding the path like that. It's probably unlikely to happen, but should the location of the mount points ever change, all your packages will break. Doing "export HOME=`pwd`" seems to work nicely though.

But this come witha down-side : original $HOME/.gtk* $HOME/.qt* become unaccessible hence my program are always using toolkit default themes (which is ugly in both case).
Someone with a good idea here ?
Copy what you need from the real $HOME at start-up?

In my excitement I forgot that VLC can't play the older 360p only videos :(
Anyway, I have tried a few different videos now and haven't had any more success, still the same buffering and then sticking issue.

re-upped with "-mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp" to enable neon optimisation.
I rebuilded ffmpeg and vlc ad rebundled.

enjoy

pootle said:
In my excitement I forgot that VLC can't play the older 360p only videos :(
Anyway, I have tried a few different videos now and haven't had any more success, still the same buffering and then sticking issue.

I guess you're uploading another version..

*Edit*
:ph34r:

So, I deleted the vlc .pnd and appdata and replaced the .pnd with a newly downloaded version then overclocked to 800 before trying again.

Sorry, no improvement.

EDIT: The problems I had must have been down to my wifi connection.

Now that I have Firefox and downloadhelper working I can save the youtube .flv files and I can confirm that your VLC port runs them very well.

Thanks very much!

sebt3 said:
re-upped with "-mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp" to enable neon optimisation.
I rebuilded ffmpeg and vlc ad rebundled.

enjoy
Cool! :)
Is there already a speed improvement compared to disabled NEON in VLC?

in the pnd when you set HOME to /mnt/umtp/$BASENAME

cp ~/.gtkrc /mnt/umtp/blah

meaning, copy files form home directory, to the sd, then set the variable? :p

fusion_power said:
Cool! :)
Is there already a speed improvement compared to disabled NEON in VLC?
Don't know : I still have chooby sound on every video I try. mp3 are find but this havent been NEON optimized.
and I didn't bench any of them so...

GizmoTheGreen said:
in the pnd when you set HOME to /mnt/umtp/$BASENAME

cp ~/.gtkrc /mnt/umtp/blah

meaning, copy files form home directory, to the sd, then set the variable? :p
Well well well. many apps use gconfd to sore their config files. gconfd write them to nand anyway. vlc work like this. I should better just remove the export HOME instruction as it is useless...

.mkv files aren't playing well. I tried 3 different videos and none of them are really watchable. the audio on two of them seemed perfect but the video doesn't want to keep up. Generally it will get really distorted for 5 or so seconds, play normally for a couple seconds, get distorted again, and then repeat. On the other hand 3 unrelated .avi files I tried worked perfectly.

I have an issue with vlc. Please listen this.

All this cracking are not there when playing this file from my PC.
And no this is not related to speed. less than half my CPU was involved while producing these sound.
Yes, I'm with lastest hot fix.

Any idea ?

EDIT: I've just tryed an other film that work very well... Hum this look to be related to the sound codec. This file even play without this sound problem in mplayer.
EDIT2: and now, the film that worked have started making the same noises :(

I'm puzzled :(

sebt3 said:
EDIT: I've just tryed an other film that work very well... Hum this look to be related to the sound codec. This file even play without this sound problem in mplayer.

*cough*just goes to show you which is better*cough*

<.<

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
*cough*just goes to show you which is better*cough*
God : That was *realy* usefull and appreciated. I give me many more reason to work day and night to provide these cross-compile...

Anyone with the same problem ?

I just did some testing with some video files that I ripped according to the method I link to in my signature (so, they are MP4 files, containing ffmpeg-encoded MPEG-4 video and faac-encoded 128kbps AAC audio). These same ones have already been tested as working in GNOME-mplayer on the Pandora, as well as Kaffeine on my main box (which runs Kubuntu, with one of the 3.x KDE versions), and QuickTime Player on my Macintosh.

With this build of VLC, I get crackly sound for about five to ten seconds after the file starts to play, and I get no picture unless I set it to full-screen - however, the picture issue also applies to trying to watch these things in GNOME-mplayer as well, so I doubt that's an issue exclusive to VLC here. :p Other than that, it plays exactly the same as it would in any other build of VLC, and is perfectly smooth even if I don't overclock my Pandora. The result is the same no matter how much overclocking is applied, too.

It's not the same problem, per se, but I do briefly get crackly sound. :p

Back