Volume Slider

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
slidercz8.jpg

Can anyone find something which fits this description? We really want a slider for space reasons but they are frustratingly hard to find in this config.

As you may have guessed we are sourcing the last and probably most fiddly parts right now and it's a bit of a time issue, these last few parts are actually holding us back more than anything else this week, so any help will be much appreciated if any of you work with similar parts or source things for a living or are just excellent with google and chinese please post anything you find.

Ok, here are some meager leads. I don't know how well they fit the requirements. You're right though, they're bloody hard to find in that size/configuration!

http://www.73.com/a/0217.shtml

http://www.potentiometers.com/alps_slide.cfm (see SSPS4 series)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slide-Potentiometer-Li...7QQcmdZViewItem (lol ebay, worth a look though

Hopefully I have access to some proper component catalogs in the next couple of days. I'm not expecting to strike gold (read: not wanting to get any hopes up) but I'll have a browse and report back.

I thought it had been decided to use a wheel for the volume? Had a look around but couldn't find anything :( by the looks of it whats required is the same as what's used in the DS (not sure of the spec but the size looks right), can't find the details on it though.

Geuben said:
I thought it had been decided to use a wheel for the volume? Had a look around but couldn't find anything :( by the looks of it whats required is the same as what's used in the DS (not sure of the spec but the size looks right), can't find the details on it though.
I think a slider was decided since it allows space behind for the stylus to slide in. Though 1cm travel does look too low for any precision of control? GP32 wheel seems to have approx 3-4cm travel.

Anyway guess Craig just wants the part at this point, rather than a flamewar opening up again... But!

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple more kind-of-but-not-quite...

http://www.b2bchinasources.com/showroom.ph...mp;p=0000024353

http://www.b2bchinasources.com/showroom.ph...mp;p=0000024362

And I might just throw this little tidbit in... whether it's relevant to Pandora or not! Anyone who owns or maintains gear with audio faders like these needs to know about "DeoxIT FaderLube" (formerly known as CaiLube). Any good pro audio geek will tell you that if you lube up your faders with a drop of this when they're new, you'll literally extend their life by thousands (and thousands) of cycles. :) http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.183/.f

Gruso said:
Only 6mm travel though, eep!
6mm is awfully small.

Still, if it comes down to this tiny slider or no internal stylus storage, I'll take the slider. Even at 6mm you should have enough adjustment room for loud, medium, and off. We could always do fine tuning in software.

Chip said:
6mm is awfully small.

Still, if it comes down to this tiny slider or no internal stylus storage, I'll take the slider. Even at 6mm you should have enough adjustment room for loud, medium, and off. We could always do fine tuning in software.
No way, 6mm is simply not enough to be usable. And quit suggesting software volume control, Who'd want to be left at the mercy of individual software? :p

Alex. said:
And quit suggesting software volume control, Who'd want to be left at the mercy of individual software? :p
Exactly. I'll just say 'gpsp' and rest my case. :p

Alex. said:
Chip said:
6mm is awfully small.

No way, 6mm is simply not enough to be usable. And quit suggesting software volume control, Who'd want to be left at the mercy of individual software? :p

I'm only suggesting software volume control as an alternative to having almost no control at all. Like I said, 6mm is very small and doesn't leave much room for adjustment. That sucks, but it sucks less than switching to a larger slider or wheel and losing internal stylus storage. I'm suggesting if we have to make due with a tiny slider, that it might be augmented by more control in software.

craigix said:
slidercz8.jpg

Can anyone find something which fits this description? We really want a slider for space reasons but they are frustratingly hard to find in this config.
Mentioned many times before but all I can say is, that a Slider is the wrong decission in my Opinion. I'm sure every one will find this out when wanting precise Volume controll or put the Device into a thight Pocket where a slider instantly changes its possition. ;)
If space is the reason for the decission, we have to live with it but I know that the Stylus can be placed safety onto the Device without wasting much space. So I think the Stylus isn't the reason.

Whatever. Interesting to see, that such a project can hang because of small, tiny parts while the big and important Components are no problem anymore. ^_^

fusion_power said:
Mentioned many times before but all I can say is, that a Slider is the wrong decission in my Opinion. I'm sure every one will find this out when wanting precise Volume controll or put the Device into a thight Pocket where a slider instantly changes its possition. ;)
If space is the reason for the decission, we have to live with it but I know that the Stylus can be placed safety onto the Device without wasting much space. So I think the Stylus isn't the reason.
I knew I read about the stylus / slider issue somewhere. Found this:

MWeston said:
What I have proposed for the final design is a volume slider more centered between SD2 and the edge, and the power switch moved way up on the right side of the unit. The slider is less deep and should allow me to fit a stylus in behind it running along side the battery, extending about 100mm into the body of the system.
There is one section of Pandora with some spare room (I think): The lid. It looks like there is plenty of room for a volume control either above or below the speaker on either side of the LCD.

Chip said:
There is one section of Pandora with some spare room (I think): The lid. It looks like there is plenty of room for a volume control either above or below the speaker on either side of the LCD.
Maybe, the LID could be a big surprising factor when the dev's need more spac onto the Pandora. :) Yes, there could be a Stylus holder or a Headphone Jack or whatever...maybe.

But I think even on the "main unit" there is a way to hide a Stylus without internal space-problems. The Stylus could be slide into the side of the Pandora half outside of the unit, holded in Place into a "half pipe" with little notches onto the Stylus and small "rails" into the half-pipe :
stylushalterungqx9.gif

Shoudn't touch the Battery Space or anything inside the Pandora. AND the Case would be still "sealed" I mean closed, no open hole leads into the Unit. :) The place for the Stylus could be near the Shoulder buttons or near the Frontside. I have no clue how big the Battery will be or where the PCB will sit, but I think this construction is very effective. ^^""

fusion_power said:
But I think even on the "main unit" there is a way to hide a Stylus without internal space-problems. The Stylus could be slide into the side of the Pandora half outside of the unit, holded in Place into a "half pipe" with little notches onto the Stylus and small "rails" into the half-pipe
That's a clever idea, but I foresee a couple issues.

First, the stylus would have to be the full length of the case, otherwise it would sit crooked when set down with the stylus in place. Also, I worry about the stylus being accidentally displaced when the console is in a pocket. With the bottom half of the stylus exposed, there is a lot of surface area where friction could dislodge it.

Lastly (and most importantly) I don't think the tiny ridges that the stylus slides into could be sturdy enough for long-term use. They would have to be very thin, and likely to be bent or broken. Once one gets bent the stylus could no longer be stowed away.

Chip said:
fusion_power said:
But I think even on the "main unit" there is a way to hide a Stylus without internal space-problems. The Stylus could be slide into the side of the Pandora half outside of the unit, holded in Place into a "half pipe" with little notches onto the Stylus and small "rails" into the half-pipe
That's a clever idea, but I foresee a couple issues.

First, the stylus would have to be the full length of the case, otherwise it would sit crooked when set down with the stylus in place. Also, I worry about the stylus being accidentally displaced when the console is in a pocket. With the bottom half of the stylus exposed, there is a lot of surface area where friction could dislodge it.

Lastly (and most importantly) I don't think the tiny ridges that the stylus slides into could be sturdy enough for long-term use. They would have to be very thin, and likely to be bent or broken. Once one gets bent the stylus could no longer be stowed away.

The hole for the Stylus is shorter than the length of the Device so the stylus is to. I'm sure it would wokr well and of course stable. The ridges can be stable to because they go over the whole stylus length. :) The form of the "pipe" matches the form of the Stylus so no friction or loose parts...and I think the small end of the Stylus will lead into a small end of the holder...hm...I would do some more detailed Blender-Renders but because the Design will not be like in my scribble, it's useless at all. It was just an quick Idea. ^_^

Wow, these a really hard to find. But 6mm travel seems low. I'd even prefer a set of 8 external dip switches, giving 256 volume levels:) Or a trimpot that I need a screwdriver to adjust (stylus could have a screwdriver end?). Or the stylus is volume control (turns an internal trimpot) when in case!

Anyone got any good ideas? Unlike these...

Mark

Back