WAD/Doomlaunchers: Which one is the best?

emilio

Hi there,

I downloaded many WAD/Doomlaunchers from the REPO,

but don't know which one is for which use case the best.

Is there a summary which Launcher can run which game best?

here are some use cases

- Doom 1

- Doom 2

- Heretic

- Hexen

- TC's

Runners for example:

- Doomrunner

- remood

- Chocolate-Doom

- Open Quartz (darkplaces)

Thanks.

I use Doomrunner as a launcher for everything. It comes with a port of prboom and legacydoom. I also use it with chocolate doom. I use them this way:

Prboom:

Ultimate Doom, Doom2, TNT Evilution, The Plutonia Experiment, Freedoom.

Legacydoom:

Heretic, Haxcs.

Chocolatedoom:

Hexen (chocolate-hexen), Dead Kings of the Dark Citadel (chocolate-hexen), Strife (chocolate-strife).

I mount chocolate-doom pnd and doomrunner pnd at the same time so i can use those excellent chocolate versions too. Regarding TC's, I had little luck with prboom and better luck with legacydoom. Most of the time it's trial and error.

I use DoomRunner/PrBoom for Freedoom.

Chocolate Doom is intended to mimic the original engine as closely as possible, bugs and all. The only reason to use it is to play the original Doom and Doom II. For all others, PrBoom is the best choice.

One problem I do have with PrBoom is I can't figure out for the life of me how to get it to work with gamepads, which is fine on a PC, but means you have to do some weird things to get good analog control on the Pandora (set the right nub to mouse and set vertical mouse sensitivity in PrBoom's settings to 0), and for dual analog you need some hackish tricks. Oh well, it's not like you can get ideal controls without a proper mouse, anyway.

Chocolate Doom is also the only engine on the Pandora that can run Strife..

Is chocolate doom the best option for the 1GHz unit? Someone mentioned the engines with a 3D renderer suffer the same graphic problems as the Descent games.

Wait... the 1GHz unit has an extra problem that old units don't...? I thought it fixed issues with 3D?

It appears that the driver released by PowerVR has a GLES bug in it that affects the latest GPU.

I know that this is old but with Remood how do I load Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom wads?  All I see is the apps to launch the total conversions like Halo, and Half Life but no just plain Doom.

Cocoa-Doom runs prboom without any graphic glitches. Setting it up may be tiny bit of work, since it involves editing a text-file. It comes with a default one that works perfectly fine, though. But if you survived starting Doom from DOS, this shouldn't stop you :p

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.  Yes the fan made mods is what I was referring to.

Back