Wandering nub syndrome

NoeleyC

I've my Pandora from September 2010, so it's one of the ones with the early nubs, but after the initial flurry of dodgy ones (when they went and tested them all individually). Anyway, enough of my history lesson, recently, especially since upgrading to tHotfix 5 RC2 (probably completely unconnected, as it was happening sometimes before this) my left nub had a tendency to wander a little, so the cursor keeps moving across the screen, normally left or up-left. A ittle nudge in any direction stops this, and maybe it's something that will stop again with time. I'm just curious to know are there others in a likewise situation?

is there an option to increase the deadzone system wide? I think something like that would prevent this if calibration doesn't fix it.

(_____(deadzone)______)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to disappoint but that's the first stage of nub death unless there's something like some grit that's introduced itself under the nub that is causing this. You'd be able to sense this though.

It will likely behave okay on and off and then go haywire and no longer be useable and require setting to joyless joystick mode to stop it interfering with everything you touch and it will render N64 a no go.

If left for ages, you will sometimes get a few hours of normal use from it but really it is fooling you and will drift back to its old ways and get all drunken in its behaviour again.

Like an alcoholic, it really needs no sympathy, just a good dose of RemdialMedicinalAlcohol and sending back to its makers for some rehab and a fresh start with less jittery limbs until it falls off the wagon again (though the new nubs should sort that old behaviour out).

Anyone know a fresh lady of the lake? ;)

It's got the old-type nubs, you say? That's a classic symptom of the start of lethal-nub-death, I'm afraid.

EDIT: Ninja'd! I should also note that after a while, the nub will physically stop returning to centre, and will end up looking droopy.

I have been having this issue also, but both of my nubs have been going in and out at the same time. It also only happens while I have a bad battery reading. I have been collecting multiple dmesgs over the past few days to send to somebody in the know because I don't think mine is actually nub related but software or battery related. I should have the newest nub revision also as I recieved my Panda only a week and a half ago. I love my pandora and don't want to send it back untill about mid March, so untill then I will keep collecting dmesgs and post them in a while when I am not on my phone but on my pandora.

as it only happens a little bit so far, there's not really much I can do about t I suppose, until things degrade big time! I did hear a little scratching noise from beneath the nub, as if something was caught under there, but that disappeared after a day or so. No major point in trying to return the machine yet as it's not obviously a serious defect, so I'll have to soldier on and see what happens next!

Minor update, swapped the nubs around and tried using the right nub to move the mouse instead. While it's defnitely more accurate than the left, it still showed a bit of randomness, so I think it's the same as the other nub, just nt as pronounced! Granted it would explain why sometimes menu's would appear on my desktop even though I'd not selected anything. Have emailed OP but not gotten any response yet, but I think I'll just package things up and send the Pandora back for repairs, it'd only get worse anyway regardless (and it is rather annoying me, to be honest as is!)

Back